PDA

View Full Version : Removing studs?

mmbintn
08-05-2009, 08:07 PM
I am having the studs replaced this week with HD studs but was wondering if you guys remove the old studs first before taking it to the machine shop?

Also when I put it all back together is there any specific assembly lube or will the stuff I can buy at Advance Auto work?

I cant wait to get it back together and see what it will do. The wiseco piston is a ton lighter then the stock piston and looks to be made alot better too.

F-16Guy
08-06-2009, 06:10 AM
Screw two nuts onto the stud and then tighten them against each other. Next, turn the bottom nut CCW to remove the stud. The top nut should keep the bottom nut from spinning and allow you to break the stud free. If you can't get it with that method, you may just want to have the machine shop remove them, even if they charge you a few extra bucks.

When assembling, all of the gasket surfaces should be clean and dry. Some people use a light coat of RTV on the base gasket surfaces, but it shouldn't be necessary if you get it nice and clean. The cylinder bolts and the head nuts, washers, and stud threads should have a light coat of clean motor oil on them during assembly. The same goes for the piston and sleeve. The cam journals and lobes should have a thick coating of assembly lube to keep them lubricated until they get oil pressure during the first start up.

You can use the stuff from Advance. Try to get Moly-free lube. I've used lube with moly three times on the same engine and had no problems, but it has been know to saturate the clutch fibers and cause slipping.

bbender85
08-06-2009, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by F-16Guy
Screw two nuts onto the stud and then tighten them against each other. Next, turn the bottom nut CCW to remove the stud. The top nut should keep the bottom nut from spinning and allow you to break the stud free.

yep, this method worked for me. take one of the head stud acorn nuts to the hardware store and find a normal nut with the same threads; it's a goofy thread count, so you may have to look around if your store isn't well stocked.

dariusld
08-06-2009, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by F-16Guy
Screw two nuts onto the stud and then tighten them against each other. Next, turn the bottom nut CCW to remove the stud. The top nut should keep the bottom nut from spinning and allow you to break the stud free.

I would also hold the top nut with a wrench to keep it from spinning. Its possable to mess up the threads with this method if they are really hard to get out.

mcgrath
08-06-2009, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by dariusld
I would also hold the top nut with a wrench to keep it from spinning. Its possable to mess up the threads with this method if they are really hard to get out.

This wont mess the threads but it doesnt matter because your putting new studs in anyway

Pipeless416
08-06-2009, 10:39 PM
i had one stud that would just not budge no matter what i tried. finally, a firm tap straight down on the stud with a brass hammer freed it up. i wish i would have tried that an hour earlier than i did :rolleyes: