PDA

View Full Version : 2001 CR 250 woods bike?????

goochy
01-08-2003, 11:17 PM
Just got a clean 2001 Honda CR 250 dirt bike. It has a FMF pipe on it. What else do you need on a 250 to make a smooth low end. Would a flywheel weight help? Changing the gear ratio? Changing the pipe?? Have not rode it yet, only around yard. Any info on how to make it a better woods bike would help. Or if you know where a Cr form is that would help too.

MOUSE
01-09-2003, 12:29 AM
i dont think you will be completely happy with the 250 as a trail bike unless the trails are wide and long so you can stretch the motor out a little. im not saying you cant use it for trail riding i used to trail ride my kx250 but it had so much power and the trails here were so tight it was more agravating than anything. most two strokes especially a cr or yz and so on are for full out racing, so it will be a handfull on a tight trail. I prefer a 4 stroke dirtbike for trail riding like the yamaha wr or the new cr 4 strokes. maybe even a cr125 will be a little better for trail than a 250. with the power of that 250 in the tight woods by the time you get the powerband engaged you will be shutting her down and on the brakes for the next turn and in a real technical slow paced section you will probably have to clutch it to death. just my .02

goochy
01-09-2003, 05:04 AM
That is why I think I need a flywheel weight, to slow the motor down some. I rode a RM 250 last Sat with low end pipe, and 6 oz flywheel weight, it was sweet.

01-09-2003, 05:19 AM
Hate to say it mouse, but your wrong. 250s can make excellent woods bikes.

Which FMF pipe does it have on it? Fatty/Gnarly/Burly are all good for low end. A flywheel weight would help smooth the power out - almost making it 4 strokeish. The CR250 is a midrange motor to begin with... Porting is the best way to squeeze power out fo a 2 stroke

MOUSE
01-09-2003, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by hondafox400
Hate to say it mouse, but your wrong. 250s can make excellent woods bikes.

Which FMF pipe does it have on it? Fatty/Gnarly/Burly are all good for low end. A flywheel weight would help smooth the power out - almost making it 4 strokeish. The CR250 is a midrange motor to begin with... Porting is the best way to squeeze power out fo a 2 stroke

im not wrong im simply stating a matter of opinion. if you read my post again you will see that i used words like " i think" and "i prefer" in the attempt to get my "opinion" across. im not saying that he cant use a cr250 as a trail bike, im sure that there are many people out there that use them for trail bikes. i am saying that from my experience i dont like a 250 race bike as a trail bike. it would have been very simple for you to say " mouse i disagree with you" instead of "mouse your wrong". yes he can make it more friendly by adding a flywheel weight so he can lug the motor similar to that of a four stroke. and possibly be very happy with it. but i believe that this guy had got rid of a kdx200 and got this bike. the kdx is already set up for trail riding and has very different motor characteristics than a cr 250.

but hey whatever he wants go for it.:macho

4TraxRider
01-09-2003, 10:19 AM
Get torque reeds and a reed spacer also. They help a lot for how inexpensive they are. Also look at a powervalve spacer, it helps with the lowend snap.

goochy
01-09-2003, 11:00 AM
thanks for info, I ride quads alot, but play on bikes too.... I had a YZ 250 WR sold it, got KDX , sold it, and now I have a sweet 2001 CR 250. I hope it will work out for me, I got a sweet deal on it, so I can spend alittle cash on it to make it a woods bike. Not sure what FMF is on it, but it has a turbo 2 sparky pipe on the rear. I think its a fatty, he said it was a all round pipe??? Going riding Sat so I'll post reply.

01-09-2003, 01:59 PM
im not wrong im simply stating a matter of opinion. if you read my post again you will see that i used words like " i think" and "i prefer" in the attempt to get my "opinion" across. im not saying that he cant use a cr250 as a trail bike, im sure that there are many people out there that use them for trail bikes. i am saying that from my experience i dont like a 250 race bike as a trail bike. it would have been very simple for you to say " mouse i disagree with you" instead of "mouse your wrong"

You are right, and I apologize.

UglyMotha™
01-09-2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by hondafox400

You are right, and I apologize.

wow! how mature is that, i'm speechless:huh

i guess it's just somthing you never see on the boards

AndrewRRR
01-09-2003, 02:19 PM
My 97 CR250R had a Pro Circuit platinum pipe and a Uni filter. It wasn't a good trail bike at all where I rode it, although you could make it one. They were built as a closed-circuit MX bike, so the suspension is harsh, the gearing is tall, and the bike liked to load up during the low speed riding. I spend most of my time in first and had to pull the clutch and "blip" it a few times to clear it's throat every minute or two. The powervalve on the motor definately helps low rpm power though.
Get it ported for low-mid, get a Gnarly pipe (I think that's FMF's low end pipe), gear it shorter, and you might have a fun trail bike. I have seen flywheel weights on CR500s, not too many on 250s. If all you do it woods/trails you might be happier with a 4 stroke.

01-09-2003, 03:19 PM
I have a 2002 CR250 and '97 KX250. Both are excellent trail bikes...assuming you know how to ride. I ride both of them on everything from tight single track, mx tracks and open dunes. For trail riding the single biggest improvment is to change the gearing. Gear it to where it works best for you as far as low end acceleration goes. You will however loose some top end speed. And a fly wheel weight does help trememdously. The bike won't stall as easy and you won't have to fan the clutch as much when negotiating real tight turns (I'm talking trails here, not MX tracks). Start with maybe a 9 oz. or 12 oz. first and see how you like it. The advantage of the flywheel weight is that it adds more rotating mass to the engine therefore less prone to stalling. However, the disadvantage is that it will take a little off the initial "hit" of the powerband. Just basically smooths it out a little. Not a whole lot, but a little. I also run a FMF Gnarly pipe which makes great low end power and is made of a heavier gauge and withstands off road abuse. It's alot stronger than your basic MX pipes, but is still a great pipe for tight MX tracks. When riding tracks I usually take the flywheel weight off, which is no big deal.

Later

kxrider
01-09-2003, 06:09 PM
yo dude you want a good trail bike get a 4 stroke, and sell me that cr250, or just trade me for my 250ex :D

Pro400EXC
01-09-2003, 06:21 PM
Well I think any dirtbike can be a Trail bike....Unless its a XR650 or so...

The CR250 is a great bike for woods,but IMO the yZ250 is the best...I mean sure there MX bikes,but a few mods make them XC bikes...Get a Flywheel Wheight, V-force reeds, and maybe go 2 teeth up on the rear sproket......

I know a few guys who race CR500's,and they are def some beast's in the woods.....

But anyways w/ them mods and if your a good bike guy in the woods,you'll be very happy.....

goochy
01-09-2003, 07:51 PM
Thanks for all the good info!!!!!!!!! I know that I can ride a Cr in the woods, I just want to "SLOW" it down some.. it has a fatty pipe on it. Going to ride it for a while, and then a might put a flywheel wight on it. i love it so far!!!!!!!! Honda rules, what has been wrong with me???? KDX????????? Raptor??????????

goochy
01-11-2003, 06:01 PM
:D Rode cr from 8:00 - 4:30. It rocks, sweet bike , great woods bike alittle fast , but I really like it!!!!!!!! Do not need fly wheel weight, if I do get one it will be VERY light. 1 st ride was great, the CR is a BAD DUDE!!!!!!!!

01-11-2003, 06:33 PM
Haha.. Now you see why I love bikes more than quads.. ;)

goochy
01-12-2003, 07:59 AM
Love the Cr, but if Honda make a race quad with LOTS of hp I'll buy it!!!!!! I like having both, its so fun to ride quads, then jump on your bike and ride it. My friends on bikes trip out they can not ride a quad, they say how do yall do it??? Ride bike one min, then jump on quad the next?? I just love to ride!!!!!!!!!!!