PDA

View Full Version : 400ex oil dipstick

rooster300ex
08-05-2009, 10:32 AM
I'm gonna be taking my buddies 400ex for a lil dune ride in a few weeks, so I told him i'll change the oil etc. I have one question i've never noticed any marks on the dipstick no upper marks or lower marks. Where should the oil be on the dipstick when you check the oil properly?? I've changed it before and put about 2 quarts like the manual says, but I would still like to know the answer to my question for alil piece of mind.

mjc400ex
08-05-2009, 12:49 PM
There should be explicit markings on the dipstick for upper & lower levels.
You may have a factory defect dipstick.
Some companies sell billet aluminum dipsticks that look really cool.
The upper level is about 3" from the end that goes in the oil cooler.
Make sure that you check the oil when it is a little warm and you don't screw in the dipstick.

rooster300ex
08-06-2009, 06:26 AM
Thanks alot man

f4iracer
09-28-2009, 08:30 AM
Bump'n this thread.

So, where on the dipstick should the oil be? My 400ex dipstick has the "lower" and "upper". Do i want the oil to be on the upper, or in the middle of the upper and lower or what???? Also, there is a hole on my dipstick right above the "upper". I've heard people say the oil should be right at the bottom of that hole when you're checking it after 5 min. idle. Is this correct? Just wondering where i need to be reading my oil level at. I assume the upper area is the best to have the levels at.

rob_990
09-28-2009, 04:32 PM
yea mines normally at the upper