PDA

View Full Version : 06 brute force 650i with clicking in front end

dayleh
08-05-2009, 03:12 AM
I had a CV boot that looked twisted on my 06 brute force 650i anlong with a nasty clicking from the frontend. I pulled the axle and found that it was bent and the balls in the cv joint were flat spoted and starting to wear a track around the inside of the joint cap. I bought and replaced the axle and took it out to test it out this week. Going thru a few small holes everything was fine, no clicking, so I tried a bigger hole. In low gear and with the diff lock pulled I eased out into a larger hole was about half way across when the clicking started but not nearly as loud. Yesterday I went back out and going thru a smaller hole I got off to the side a bit where no one else had been for a while and had to dig my way out. I was in 4 high because I had never had an issue with this spot before. The clicking in my front end was just as loud as ever. I check the axle when I got and on the new axle the boot looks slightly twisted again. I am not sure where to go from here.
If the diff lock is not working properly and catching at random times would this be enough of a jolt to slip the CV joint and twist the boot? I have noticed that when I and riding on the trails every no and then it gets harder to turn like when the diff lock is pulled.

Any ideas would be great. Would love to figure this out before I have to buy another axle.
Thanks for your help.

also the tires are Innova Mud Gear AT27x10-12.

dayleh
08-08-2009, 02:28 AM
I took the left front axle off and found that the teeth on the diff lock ring are completly broke off. It looks like I need to replace these. I was wondering how difficult this was and if it was possible to change these without taking the front geat box off the bike?