PDA

View Full Version : I've always wanted an R...

BEAVER.989
08-04-2009, 04:54 PM
... and now that there are a ton of 450's on the market, it seems like the R's are getting a lot easier to afford. I'm going to be in the market for something to ride in the near future and have a question about these R's...

Are there still plenty of parts available for them? What are the common problem areas I should pay extra attention to when shopping?

There's a beautiful '87 250R for sale near me with a bunch of goodies... CT 310 kit, CT pipe and silencer, aftermarket carb, nerfs, bumpers, graphics, +2 a-arms... $2700 obo. This seems like a deal to me, for what it looks like.

rigger
08-04-2009, 05:06 PM
I have been building mine up since last December and have not really had any problems getting parts up until now. Just needed a missing counter ballancer hold down plate and Honda does not offer it anymore. But one of the guys on here sent me a message with an extra one that he had.

You can always find the parts if you look or ask.

IcutMetl
08-04-2009, 05:57 PM
I was in the exact same situation as you a few years ago. After having a great 400ex, and hearing all the hype about 250r's, I needed to have one. At the time, you couldn't find a nice, relatively unmolested one for under $3500-$4000, and I was afraid of parts being available.

After going a few years w/o a wheeler, I would read all I could about them. Prices coming down, parts were allllll over the place and dirt cheap. Just needed to find the right buy.

Finally found an 88 in fair shape, for $1600. Something to work with, and payable with cash. Parts, especially originals aren't easy to come by like they used to be and getting more expensive. Fortunately, between the members of this forum, ebay, and patience...it hasn't been an issue. I'm still convinced that with enough patience, you can build one from basically frame up for very little money.....or if you want the best of the best and don't like to wait, as much as you can afford. Engines are cheap cheap cheap to make big reliable power out of, and the frame is super light handling...surprising compared to my 400. I think 4-stroke reliablity is a slight misconcepton now with the high-output 450s, and that a well-kept 2 stroke (especially 250r) will last just as long or longer before you have to wrench it. And when you do, it's incredibly simple. Stevie Wonder could change a top end on one of these. I can let mine idle for 15 minutes, get back on it and rip away...haven't fouled a plug yet.

You'll be able to find out just about anything you'll ever want or neeed to know about them here, just use the search function. Budget tips and tricks for more power/handling, common failure areas, differences from year to year, what fits from other 'wheelers, everything....

In my opinion, the new 450's kick major tail, and if you don't mind having a "me too" four wheeler, then there ya go. I don't mind spending time to source parts and put things together just the way I want it and having something that few others do. I like the smell of race fuel and castor oil when that thing lights up. I think it's fun sharing stories and information on here.

I probably will have a 450 someday, but am I ever glad I bought my 250r...for me, the juice is definitely worth the squeeze!

deathman53
08-04-2009, 06:15 PM
I have 250r's(3 & 4 wheels), 4 stroke dirtbike and hybrid 250r(cfr450r motor). the 4 strokes kill me, almost constant oil changes, valve jobs based on how much you ride them and when things go....its expensive. I spend close to $1200 just on the valve trane of my crf450r. I can rebuild my 250r top end 8 times for almost the same amount. My 250r's I hardly have to do anything to them, clean air filter, check bearings and change oil so often. The last top end of mine had 3 years on it, the piston had 4 years. I only had to do it because I messed up when I cleaned and re-installed the powervalve (it hit and made some marks in the piston, because I put it in backwards). Reeds every year, clutches last a long time. The constant oil changes of the 4 strokes cost well more than $60 over the year.

All250R
08-04-2009, 08:50 PM
I think the manufacturer's let people believe the new 4stroke applications were some evolution of technology added to the old reliable 4strokes like the XR400 engine. The design of a 4stroke is not as well suited for high horsepower as a 2stroke so the tradeoff is size and reliability. That's the bill of goods on the showroom floor these days... :macho

rockingkfarms
08-05-2009, 11:50 AM
The manufacturers have done very good marketing the 450's. Combine that with rule changes that virtually eliminate the 250R from pro racing. Just my opinion, but I don't believe they were willing to see their new bikes getting beat by 80's technology.