PDA

View Full Version : Automatic transmissions on motocross bikes

rbgnwa45
08-04-2009, 03:28 PM
Why don't they use automatic transmissions on motocross bikes, with a clutch?

MX300ex
08-04-2009, 04:48 PM
because its stupid.

ProspectorJim
08-04-2009, 04:57 PM
auto's don't respond fast enough. Closest thing to an automatic is a Rekluse clutch.

deathman53
08-04-2009, 06:27 PM
even those don't respond fast enough for the pro's. The new rekluse exp might be different, dirtbike loved it, couldn't tell the difference, its more of a anti-stall, not auto clutch. My rekluse pro, there is a noticeable difference, a regular clutch can hook-up faster. I keep it because its easier to ride and is more forgiving to coming out of a corner a gear too high.

08-04-2009, 06:36 PM
Because automatics are gay on sport bikes and sport ATV's..:rolleyes:

hondariderdylan
08-04-2009, 06:44 PM
this was a question that popped up with nascar a while back

prospectorjim has it right, automatics just dont respond as well
as a good old 4 or 5 speed does

if they can get the two more even cost and performance wise it might be possible:ermm:

907Rider
08-04-2009, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by MX300ex
because its stupid.

BlaineKaiser450
08-04-2009, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX
Because automatics are gay on sport bikes and sport ATV's..:rolleyes: what if you're paralized or disabled in some way? i think they would be AWESOME for some of our fellow riders

rbgnwa45
08-04-2009, 11:41 PM
Now there's an idea. I'm sure if someone were to design one for aftermarket, it would meet the requirements needed. It would be nice in the woods if you were shifting from 1-3 a lot. I think it would be responsive ;) . It would also be damn nice on hills. A little lag, but with a lot of power, I wouldn't mind, it'd be like a twostroke sort of. If it was predictable power it'd be safe. Is there nothing like this? This would also be usefull for giiiiirls :p . I think it would also be lighter. It would also be usefull for FMXers that don't have lots of room, I went to a show and some were backing out because they had to shift into 2nd quickly, they had like 10 feet.

rbgnwa45
08-05-2009, 12:13 AM
It would also be usefull on the snowtrack conversions. Shifting in the snow would cause lots of lag. Imagine having to shift in the snow on a hill on a converted bike.

dehner47
08-05-2009, 07:33 AM
wouldn't having a auto clutch make more wiring and computer bs that could go wrong and cause bike to not run correctly?

bikes now adays have so much wiring its not even funny. i just feel this will cause more headache when having eletrical issues cause of all the extra wires and computer systems. and would make alot more work trying to set your bike up for riding/racing. you'd need a computer and software to set up shift points and how high or low you want it to rev before shifting. kinda like the efi systems. easy for some. way to much for others.

Ichoptop
08-05-2009, 07:36 AM
automatic transmission (at least in cars) suck horsepower. Anywhere from 17% to 30%

rbgnwa45
08-05-2009, 01:33 PM
Oh, well I was talking about a belt/cvt, full auto tranny. How much electrical would there be, and would you have shift points? I mean, you want to be able to adjust the spring? What if the spring adjusted itself constantly?

"automatic transmission (at least in cars) suck horsepower. Anywhere from 17% to 30%"

Cars are like 2000-4000lbs not 220+rider. Maybe that's why. On a bike it might be 4% at 8000 RPM. We have auto-quads... why not auto bikes?

Isn't a cvt/belt lighter?

m0t0xk1d
08-05-2009, 07:24 PM
to have a cvt tranny it would be har becuase in order to have a cvt you a primarfy and a secondary and all that good stuff and would be a alot of space. but what about the 50cc's? they got automatic clutches and they dont take up alot of space or anything and they dont have a secondary and a primary im pretty sure. and man them 50's rip