PDA

View Full Version : This a good laptop?

gncc025
08-04-2009, 10:56 AM
i broke my leg and ive been wanting a laptop bad since its hard to get around. i think i found a pretty good deal but im not an expert on computers. what do you guys think, good deal?

its $298 plus tax

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=11050018#ShortReviewTitleBar

Quad18star
08-04-2009, 11:07 AM
I've been searching for a lap top also and was told to stay away from brands like Compaq and E-machines since they are on the lower end of the laptop chain. Most of them will only last you 2 years before they crap out... so I was told ( and the guy seemed pretty honest since he told me there was a better deal at another store).

He said stick with names like Toshiba , HP and Sony.

Scottt89
08-04-2009, 11:11 AM
As an IT guy, I tend to stay away from PC equipment @ Walmart. You may want to check out newegg.com. You will pay a bit more, but for a nice laptop, it's worth the $. But as for your question, the one you have chosen isn't bad. 3gb RAM is good, HD Size isn't bad, screen is pretty big. Only thing that I try to stay away from is the 2nd model Processor. For Proc's you want to stick with an AMD Athlon X2 or Intel Duel Core. A lot of the time's you will see the big price difference between a similar laptop because one has an Athlon X2 and the other has a Sempron. Or Intel Centrino vs Duel Core. Since that is the main brain of the PC, that is where you want to spend your $ wisely. But for a basic internet use laptop you should be fine. If you were going for a gaming laptop or heavy usage, I would steer you away.

HP and Compaq share ownership. But Toshiba and IBM are def nice. If you have the $, you can always go Apple. Just stay away from Gateway and Dell!

Ralph
08-04-2009, 11:51 AM
Id highly recommend Acer.

Kickstarts-suck
08-04-2009, 11:58 AM
I unload the trucks at walmart and we get a ton of these laptops and the cheap acers and only have had 1 returned.

jcv400ex
08-04-2009, 12:16 PM
We have two of those and haven't had any trouble.

8my_Cash
08-04-2009, 12:47 PM
That laptop that you have listed is prone to overheating after 2 hrs of use.

Also as listed before its not dual core, and with the New operating systems out there dual core processing is the way to go.

With Wal-Mart electornics, mainly laptops, you get what you pay for.

I mean for this price, hell its worth a shot. But if you want a quality cheap laptop try newegg.com and check out some of the toshiba satelites. I have one that was 450$ shipped to my door.

It was a replacement for my ACER :mad: that had a motherboard failure that allowed no peripheral devices to work (touchpad, keyboard, usb ports, network ports, ect)

08-04-2009, 07:40 PM
get a macbook and you can laugh at everyone when they're computer crashes....

Ralph
08-04-2009, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by BoBoRacerX123
get a macbook and you can laugh at everyone when they're computer crashes....

while you spend so much money that you cant afford your own internet and have to go to a coffee shop :).

ridered11
08-04-2009, 08:18 PM
Here's the laptop I'm getting for school.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9371556&type=product&id=1218093379440

best bang for the buck

gncc025
08-04-2009, 09:36 PM
i couldnt wait so i went ahead and bought it. could have been a mistake but so far its definitely worth 300 bucks for sure. decent speed and everything you need on it basically. the internet is just as fast as my desktop. i love it so far:D