PDA

View Full Version : Please help with bearings

Adam F
01-08-2003, 09:15 PM
A while back I had a problem with my quad not shifting gears properly. Here is the thread:

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24360

Basically it wont go up past 1st gear. I upshift to 2nd and it goes into neutral. Sometimes I can get it into the higher gears, but it doesnt want to go back down. I can grab the shifter with my hand and sometimes pull out on it and it will go back down to 1st, but then only back up to 2nd. Very weird.

Anyway, my buddy just got back from school down in Florida where he leared to work on motorcycles. I let him tear it down and fix it. He's got it completly torn down, but cannot find anything abviously wrong with it.

One thing he did mention to me, is that, in his exact words, "the shift drum bearing (case bearing) comes out easy, it just slides out." He wasnt sure if that was normal. He was thinking maybe that was the problem.

What else can I have him inspect while everything is torn down? He's a beginner with motorcycle repair, but he's good. Please help!

4TraxRider
01-09-2003, 10:09 AM
Tell your friend to look at the engagement dogs on the shift shaft. If they get worn down, it will make it very hard to get to gear, and more likely get stuck in false neutral. If it is the engagement dogs, your lookin at some serious coin to fix it.

Adam F
01-09-2003, 08:45 PM
He said everything looks like brand new. Well, it basically is. It's a 2002 and I havent really ridden it all that much, and I don't ride it hard. He said maybe one of the shift forks might have worked itself loose.

CarzyRrider
01-09-2003, 09:58 PM
did you look at the groves where the shifter bolts on my cousins were worn down almost gone and i had the same problem although it was the shifter itself on the inside of it but check both

Adam F
01-10-2003, 03:31 PM
I think we found it. Picture is a little blurry, but you can see the multiples cracks on it. The hole is deformed from the cracks, and the shifter wouldnt move in a full range of motion. Hopefully this is all that is wrong.

Adam F
01-10-2003, 03:32 PM
Here she is sitting stripped in the garage :)