PDA

View Full Version : Question on GT Thunder linkage

rinaldi
08-04-2009, 06:40 AM
I think I will be upgrading my suspension, but had a question on the GT rear linkage. With my quad having only around 20 hours on it, is it worth having the rear spring re-done by GT as well? In addition does the quad have to be modified at all to have the rear linkage installed? The GT Thunder site states moving the airbox, etc for more travel. I tried doing a search, but the word "GT" is too small to pull a search.

dustin_j
08-04-2009, 06:59 AM
Nice to see a fellow Iowan on this site. Where do you ride? I just put a GT Thunder linkage on my quad and it was a HUGE improvement. Unless you are 125 lb you need to re-spring and re-valve for this linkage. You should space your exhaust to clear your caliper for sure. When you install the linkage, put your quad on a 2 x 4 and check for clearances as this is supposed to be the bottom out height. My air box cleared, but it looked like the subframe would hit the sprocket bolt. I plan to modify this sometime, but it hasn't hit yet. Hope this helps.

Also, to search for words smaller than 4 letters use *. To search for GT use *GT*

Dustin

rinaldi
08-04-2009, 07:18 AM
The only place I ride now is the OHV park near Ely. What about you?

The guy from GT said only the XC version needs a subframe modification? I am a little confused on this and will need to look into it further. I was planning on doing the Fox Float fronts with the GT Linkage. I need to read between the differences of the XC and MC linkage.

08-04-2009, 07:22 AM
xc id for trails mx is for a motocross track

dustin_j
08-04-2009, 08:54 AM
I haven't been to Ely yet, but I go to the pits near Waterloo sometimes. I guess that's why my subframe hasn't hit with my mx linkage yet. Like speedy said, xc linkage is for 20" rear tires and the mx linkage is for 18" rears. Sounds like you'll have a nice setup when you're done.

rinaldi
08-04-2009, 10:42 AM
Well I planned on staying with the same stock size, so would that mean go MX? I just ride trails, do as many jumps as possible, etc. What direction do you think would be best?

dustin_j
08-04-2009, 11:23 AM
Stock tires are 20". If you don't plan on using 18" rear tires then you'd be best off getting the xc linkage so you can keep your ride height low. That said, you'd want to make sure you could modify your subframe and make all preparations before you install the linkage. You can remove your shocks and put your quad on a 2x4 to see what you'll need to modify. It'd probably be best to talk to Laz at GTT to see what his recommendations would be, and what he recommends to modify the subframe (cutting, bending, etc). Hope this helps.

rinaldi
08-04-2009, 11:26 AM
This may be a deal breaker for me. I don't want to modify my setup and don't feel comfortable doing so. I see other dealers selling the GT linkage without have the rear shock redone as well as not needing it modified. Would that be worth it? The linkage by itself is $149.

dustin_j
08-04-2009, 12:58 PM
The linkage is what requires the modification, so just buying the linkage would result in more damage than modifying the shock to match. You could ask GTT about using an mx linkage with 20" tires, and then not have to modify your subframe. Otherwise, you could look into having your shock revalved by someone to use your stock linkage. I have heard of good results from a PEP revalved rear shock, and site sponsor C&D Racing are excellent to work with. I know there are some guys on here who have GTT xc linkages; hopefully they chime in on their modification so you can decide. Keep searching...

08-04-2009, 01:29 PM
i am one that has the gt thunder linkage...i had it done to my previous 400ex, and made sure it was done to my 450r as well as my current 400ex...i haven't modified anything fro any of them yet...but my current set up does have my exhaust marked up from the rotor hitting it...no big deal though as the end results far out weigh anything mods that may be necessary...

dustin_j
08-04-2009, 02:17 PM
To clarify...you have the xc linkage? Sounds like the same deal as my mx linkage. I agree on the outcome being worth it!

08-04-2009, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by dustin_j
To clarify...you have the xc linkage? Sounds like the same deal as my mx linkage. I agree on the outcome being worth it!

yes, i have the xc linkage...so far out of the 3, this is the only one that has caused any damage...well sort of...my first one cracked my air box, but that is because the shock was valved for 155 lbs(my weight) and i let my friend who weighs about 300 take it up a trail that has some fair sized jumps so needless to say, it bottomed way out on that little go around...lol..and i am not sure that it even came from that...

400ex07
08-04-2009, 05:04 PM
I had to slightly bend the left side near the battery of my sub frame to get it to clear the bolts on the sprocket. It sucks to have to bend a perfectly straight sub frame but no one can even tell. I also had to cut a large piece out of my skid plate so the linkage could move.

moshachusetts
08-31-2009, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by 400ex07
I had to slightly bend the left side near the battery of my sub frame to get it to clear the bolts on the sprocket. It sucks to have to bend a perfectly straight sub frame but no one can even tell. I also had to cut a large piece out of my skid plate so the linkage could move.

how did you go about bending your subframe? did you need to use heat? did just bendimg with a pipe work? or did you just dent it in some how? any chance you post a pic??

thanks

400ex07
08-31-2009, 08:46 AM
I chained the quad to a truck then I put a come-along on the sub frame and hooked the other end to another truck and cranked it slow until I saw it bend a little. I don't have any pics but if I did you wouldn't even be able to notice a difference.