PDA

View Full Version : what the f*#% !!!!!

neon3beres
08-04-2009, 05:36 AM
I AM IN DESPERATE NEED OF ASSISTANCE!!! I HAVE LOTS AND LOTS OF "TOYS" I AM NOT A MECHANIC, BUT I DO ALL OF MY OWN WORK AND AM VERY EDUCATED WITH THESE THIGNS BUT........ MY 86 SUZUKI LT250R **** THE BED AFTER GOING OVER A 1' HIGH JUMP WHEN TRAIL RIDING...... IT POWERED DOWN TO A COASTING STOP AND HAS NOT WORKED SINCE.... I HAVE RE-RINGED IT, HONED IT, NEW GASKETS, NEW PLUGS, CHECKED AND DOUBLED CHECKED THE CARBURETOR, THE STATOR IS IN GOOD SHAPE, THE TIMING IS CONTROLLED BY A KEY IN A KEY-SLTO WHICH IS THERE AND IS MINT, I REPLACED THE CDI BOX WITH AN '87 CDI BOX AND AN '86 CDI BOX........... AND IT DOES THE SAME THING >>> WHEN CRANKIN-ON-IT, IT SIMPLY SITS THERE AND GARGLES (BACK-FIRE GARGLE) AND EVENTUALLY HAS A SERIOUS, LOUD, POP OF A BACK-FIRE.... BUT NEVER STARTS!!!
WHAT IS THERE LEFT FOR ME TO DO OR ATTEMPT?!?! IT WOULD APPEAR AS "TIMING" (IT IS SPARKING AT THE WRONG TIME) BUT DON'T KNOW HOW THAT COULD BE BASED ON EVERYTHING ELSE I'VE DONE/CHECKED....
PLEASE LEND A HAND TO A FELLOW ATV RIDER!!!!
THANX
MATT

Quadzilla2win
08-04-2009, 08:43 AM
I'm fairly certain that the 85-86's have the stator plates just like the 87-92's. The timing isnt controlled by the woodruff key. that's is there solo to keep the flywheel from spinning freely on the crank. The stator plate should have a notch at the very top. your motor will also have a notch. make sure these notch line up perfectly. the stator plate is held on with 3 screws, use an impact screwdriver to loosen them and tighten. For something to just "die" screams 2 things to me, either a piston seized or an electrical problem. also, check all your grounds and electrical connections look for exposed wires, etc. And check the ground wire that plugs into the coil. I cant tell you how many times the ground wire to my coil popped off on my zilla.

edit**one other thing, did you check for spark?

I know this may be a headache but you should check the reeds. I've seen reed pedals get sucked off the cage before. Check for damage and the gap clearance. shouldnt be more than 2 thousandths (.002).

neon3beres
08-06-2009, 06:24 AM
thank you sooo much for the response, but i have done everything you suggested:
- it does have a stator plate, and the markings are lined up... but even if they weren't.... it should still start, just run ****ty
- being a 2 stroke with 1 cylinder.. there is not much to it, including electric... i have gone through all electric connections and they are mint... i have triple checked them all!!
- i have alot of spark.... alot, no problem there
- i did check the reeds, they were fine... then after i put it abck together and it still did not work, i took it all back apart, replaced the reeds, new gaskets (again) and it still has the same verdict

i appreciate the advice, please keep it coming!!! i will try any and everything..... is there a sensor or something hidden somewhere that i can not notice?!?!
anythign internal that may have broken that you can not notice that may cause this?

thanx for the help

matt

tbomber59
08-06-2009, 01:44 PM
If its backfiring then you might have sheared off the woodruff key and the flywheel is a few degrees off. when you checked the marks on the stator was the piston at top dead center? Its a common problem with 250 and 500 suzuki 2 strokes. I know you said the key was new but How much slop is in the flywheel key way?

neon3beres
08-06-2009, 03:23 PM
the woodruff key is the original one, still in tact and in good shape... im not sure if the piston is at the top when the marks are aligned, i just know they are aligned and it ran not too long ago with all in the position it is now... andthere is not much slop in the fly-wheel, it is actually in good shape and mounted nice....

thanx

Quadzilla2win
08-07-2009, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by tbomber59
If its backfiring then you might have sheared off the woodruff key and the flywheel is a few degrees off. when you checked the marks on the stator was the piston at top dead center? Its a common problem with 250 and 500 suzuki 2 strokes. I know you said the key was new but How much slop is in the flywheel key way?

You dont have to have the motor at TDC when adjusting the timing plate. Rotating the plate only moves the pickup coil and it's not attached to the crank. Check the gap between the flywheel and pickup coil. a good test is the business card test. a business card should fit snug in there. Have you replaced the spark plug? Have you tried pull starting it? Just to see if you can get it started.

are you sure the woodruff key is intact and not sheared? do like bomber said and check it as well. If it is sheared that would cause erratic firing.

rlb21chevy
08-13-2009, 02:40 AM
i just sold an lt that i had and i had a problem similar come up once. there is a needle in the carb on the slide. the clip broke on mine once and i could not figure out why it would not start. just popped and backfired because it got air and not enough fuel. just unhook the boot to the carb and look down it to see if the needle is moving when you give it throttle if not then maybe you have the same problem. other than that i cant figure anything that could be causing your problem other than maybe the cdi you tried was bad also. maybe try taking one off a running bike and try it. if you can find someone with an lt. good luck man that thing is going to be a money pit. mine was and thats why when it blew up i just sold it rather than rebuild it.

neon3beres
08-13-2009, 04:59 AM
thanx for the info.... i will check that out and see... but here's the thing (i just found out hen i got the book on it) it is supposed to have a flat-side carb, but mine has a round cylinder carb.... but it worked mint... but i will look
i know these things are money pits... i have a boat, jet skis, sleds, bikes..... they are all money pits!!! ha ha but i take very good care of my stuff and can fix most everything myself, that's why i manage to keep them and have fun!!

thanx again

rlb21chevy
08-13-2009, 05:08 AM
need any gaskets? maybe for the next time you have to work on the engine. i have three sets but i am missing one reed gasket and two water pump gaskets. i will take 30.00 shipped if your interested.

neon3beres
08-13-2009, 05:19 AM
i will let u know.... thanx, i appreciate it

stpltn250r
08-16-2009, 06:31 PM
you also could have bad crank seals it would also do the same as the carb sucking to much air and not enough fuel and lean out and fry some *****. perform a leakdown test to see if you have any crankcase leaks. spray soapy solution on the seals base gasket head and the reed cage. hope that helps