PDA

View Full Version : New wheels, help decide please..

BikeSwimLaugh
08-03-2009, 11:23 PM
Guys...

I just got some new rear tires (Maxxis I-Razr's)...but before I mount them, I noticed how TriRon put his stock 400EX wheel/tires on his daughters 90EX with the use of some adapters. Well, my daughter also has a 90EX and I thought I'd do the same thing: why dismount and almost throw away my stock rear tires when I could just move them onto my daughters quad?

So...that means I'll need new wheels for my 400EX. I do not ride track, just trail...but I'd like something nice. Not chrome, probably polished like stock or maybe black. I noticed some wheels offer beadlock or what appears to be something more durable.

Guys...I'm pretty clueless to all the options, can you guys give me some ideas and steer my in the right diretion. Lots of options out there....

Thanks!

ngates788
08-04-2009, 12:26 AM
personally im a fan of the itp baja's

F-16Guy
08-04-2009, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by ngates788
personally im a fan of the itp baja's
x2. I love my Bajas. They're fairly cheap and very strong. I've taco'd an OEM rear and killed a set of Douglas red labels. The reinforcement rings make all the difference.

iownatoyota
08-04-2009, 01:25 PM
ive never heard a bad thing about douglas, and ive had my set for a year nwo with no complaints, i like them better over the ITP t-9's

BikeSwimLaugh
08-04-2009, 01:54 PM
Well guys....what I'm getting at is that I plan on moving my stock OEM wheels to my daughters quad, so I'm basically am open to any wheel. I'd like to stay with a stock size and maybe just get something more durable since I'm on trails, mountains and occassionally rocks.

Nothing chrome, nothing too blingy. I'd just like to know what the advantages or benefits of going after-market is. I don't ride track so light-weight is not a big thing, durability would be good and puncture/tire-protection.

Those baja's look nice.....

Snipe
08-04-2009, 01:58 PM
Going aftermarket is mostly for weight, and or looks and or tire protection.

If you are not wanting anything flashy or anything Rock makes some nice wheels they have a beadlock offer as well and there like $89 a piece so not over kill on price and since your not racing they would look cool and prob be satisfactory.

If your not looking for anything els you might just get a set of OEM wheels and have them powdercoated to match the plastics and look just as good.

tri5ron
08-04-2009, 02:05 PM
being that you are filthy rich, and just flush with cash,...
your only choice can be the Hypers :D LOL!

but for those lowly unfortunate souls like myself,
I'll have to settle for a pair of craigslist stockers.
(maybe I can weld some angle iron to the beads,.... YEAH! That sounds like a GREAT idea!!!):p :p :p

but on a serious note,
If I could justify it with the "Supreme Household Power",...
I'd probably get the Baja's.

BikeSwimLaugh
08-04-2009, 02:09 PM
Snipe....THANK YOU for some solid info!!!

My quad is black and my ProArmor bumper & nerf-bars are polished aluminum, so they match the OEM wheels nicely. My exhaust is an HMF carbon-fiber too, so everything is pretty much black & polished aluminum. I think black wheels would be too overkill on the black quad.

Can you tell me more about the beadlock? I imagine it's some kind of pain in the butt to get installed, but they'll prevent the tire from losing it's air-pressure should I strike something really hard?

BikeSwimLaugh
08-04-2009, 02:19 PM
Ron....you little slickster, you got your post in there while I was typing back to Snipe! Hey, you never got back to me about which wheels you replaced your wheels with....but I get it now, you just moved your tire/wheels over to Cameron's and then bought new OEM's and new tires for yourself...yeah?

And hey...don't mock me if I have a few bucks, I slaved away for years doing attic & wall insulation, climbing through HOT attics in the heat-waves of summer and drilling 180 holes in each home using a nasty-twisty hammer-drill out in the heat. *cue the violins*....so I be earned some of me monies! And hey, you're the one with all the wind-sailers..and let's not even get started on those flashy pink hand guards Cam is flyin' on her 90EX!! :D

Honestly, I don't mind blowing the coin on new wheels...but I would like to buy American products and I rather dread having to R&R the new Maxxis tires I just put on my front wheels. At least I didn't get the rear I-Razr's mounted yet, so that's one less headache. This all wouldn't have been an issue if you hadn't posted that thread! ;)

tri5ron
08-04-2009, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by BikeSwimLaugh
Ron....you little slickster, you got your post in there while I was typing back to Snipe! Hey, you never got back to me about which wheels you replaced your wheels with....but I get it now, you just moved your tire/wheels over to Cameron's and then bought new OEM's and new tires for yourself...yeah? No, I was serious about the craigslist stockers LOL!!!

And hey...don't mock me if I have a few bucks, I slaved away for years doing attic & wall insulation, climbing through HOT attics in the heat-waves of summer and drilling 180 holes in each home using a nasty-twisty hammer-drill out in the heat. *cue the violins*....so I be earned some of me monies! And hey, you're the one with all the wind-sailers..and let's not even get started on those flashy pink hand guards Cam is flyin' on her 90EX!! :D LMAO !!! just havin' some fun ribbin' ya, and if ya got it, have fun with it ! the sailers are over 30 years old, and the hand guards are a one time, special order, no one else can get tem, deal! (yeah right !)

Honestly, I don't mind blowing the coin on new wheels...but I would like to buy American products and I rather dread having to R&R the new Maxxis tires I just put on my front wheels. At least I didn't get the rear I-Razr's mounted yet, so that's one less headache. This all wouldn't have been an issue if you hadn't posted that thread! ;) [/B] these are nice...
http://www.omfperformance.com/beadlocked_wheels_sq.php

BikeSwimLaugh
08-04-2009, 02:58 PM
Oh no he didn't.... :)

Ron...I knew you were ribbin' ;)

That link has some pretty nice stuff!!!!! Very tempting and may I also add: THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT :D

I think I prefer the conventional style, that first style is a bit too loud. As I mentioned, my quad is pretty much black with polished aluminum accessories...I figure I have 3 options, the polished, black or red. Polished would probably look the sharpest/cleanest, black would be a bit heavy but still nice....and Red would give some color and pick-up a bit of the red on the stickers and tank decals, but it may be a bit flashy too.

So what's the beadlock all about? Basically just means I can run low pressure without fear of popping a bead??? I guess it also puts-up a bit more metal near the sidewall so there may be a bit more protection too?

Btw...remember I mentioned I was going to buy a new trailer, a 16-footer? Well, I think I'm gonna go 18-feet just to make sure, call it the Tri5Ron factor; you're a bad influence on me Ron! :D

tri5ron
08-04-2009, 05:19 PM

So what's the beadlock all about? Basically just means I can run low pressure without fear of popping a bead??? I guess it also puts-up a bit more metal near the sidewall so there may be a bit more protection too?

Btw...remember I mentioned I was going to buy a new trailer, a 16-footer? Well, I think I'm gonna go 18-feet just to make sure, call it the Tri5Ron factor; you're a bad influence on me Ron! :D Oh no he didn't .....
Oh yes He DID !!

It's not me, it's you,.... or more accurately,.... what's IN you. You are born with it. WE ALL are born with it. It's a disease. There is nothing you can do about it. It is terminal. there is NO CURE.
It is called A.A.D.S., surely you've seen me mention it to other members here.
It lays dormant while coarsing through your entire body, for YEARS. Then one day, something happens to awaken this beast, and it takes all controll away from your better judgement.

Sure you can try to fight it, but you WILL lose. You can try to supress it, but again, you will endup allowing it to build to such phenominal pressures that blood vessels will burst right through your skin, and your hair will erupt into flames!

It's best to just go with it, coddle it, nurture it, and learn to live peacefully in unison with it.
and whether you realize it or not,...
I'm figuring that you are about to have an Enormous, Historical, Record Setting, OUTBREAK, of Epic Purportions.

You think I'm kidding ???
then let me ask you this...

Just HOW do you explain, that you are able to go camping, quading, and riding,.....
With FOUR FEMALES,....
overnight,....
with only a flatbed trailer, and a TENT ???

Are you eff'in kidding me???
Dude, you are outnumbered by a MAJOR Factor !!!
You haven't got a chance!

As soon as those girls figure out that all their quads will fit in a Toy Hauler,
it comes with cushy beds,
has a fridge/freezer that keeps ice cream cold in the desert,
can bake birthday cakes while camping,
has a DVD to watch Hanna Montanna, and Camp Rock at night,
A/C for cooling down after a long hot ride,
a nice flushing toilet to go potty in,
and the Crem' de la Crue'.... a REAL SHOWER TOO !?!?!?

18 footer flat bed ????
I think NOT !!!

I'm invisioning you having an A.A.D.S. Attack that will make HISTORY!
Heck, you may even have an entire chapter, dedicated to you in the book!

4 Girls/Women and You ???
How do you think THAT voting session is going to go ???
I see a 28 to 32 footer comin' your way in the very near future.
(just make sure you get one big enough to fit my quad also)

'cmon Man,..... make us all PROUD of You, You can DO IT !!!

We'll be expecting to see you at the next Group Support Meeting.
Meetings are held on the 6th Sunday of each month.
We will not try to CURE you.
Like I said,..... It's a SUPPORT MEETING.

here,... this ought to wet your whistle....
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/rvs/1300333189.html

(and btw, yeah, the beadlocks help prevent the rim from getting bent).

07black400ex
08-04-2009, 05:30 PM
I have black Baja's... They are the TRUTH!!!

BikeSwimLaugh
08-04-2009, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by tri5ron
Oh yes He DID !!

It's not me, it's you,.... or more accurately,.... what's IN you. You are born with it. WE ALL are born with it. It's a disease. There is nothing you can do about it. It is terminal. there is NO CURE.
It is called A.A.D.S., surely you've seen me mention it to other members here.
It lays dormant while coarsing through your entire body, for YEARS. Then one day, something happens to awaken this beast, and it takes all controll away from your better judgement.

Sure you can try to fight it, but you WILL lose. You can try to supress it, but again, you will endup allowing it to build to such phenominal pressures that blood vessels will burst right through your skin, and your hair will erupt into flames!

It's best to just go with it, coddle it, nurture it, and learn to live peacefully in unison with it.
and whether you realize it or not,...
I'm figuring that you are about to have an Enormous, Historical, Record Setting, OUTBREAK, of Epic Purportions.

You think I'm kidding ???
then let me ask you this...

Just HOW do you explain, that you are able to go camping, quading, and riding,.....
With FOUR FEMALES,....
overnight,....
with only a flatbed trailer, and a TENT ???

Are you eff'in kidding me???
Dude, you are outnumbered by a MAJOR Factor !!!
You haven't got a chance!

As soon as those girls figure out that all their quads will fit in a Toy Hauler,
it comes with cushy beds,
has a fridge/freezer that keeps ice cream cold in the desert,
can bake birthday cakes while camping,
has a DVD to watch Hanna Montanna, and Camp Rock at night,
A/C for cooling down after a long hot ride,
a nice flushing toilet to go potty in,
and the Crem' de la Crue'.... a REAL SHOWER TOO !?!?!?

18 footer flat bed ????
I think NOT !!!

I'm invisioning you having an A.A.D.S. Attack that will make HISTORY!
Heck, you may even have an entire chapter, dedicated to you in the book!

4 Girls/Women and You ???
How do you think THAT voting session is going to go ???
I see a 28 to 32 footer comin' your way in the very near future.
(just make sure you get one big enough to fit my quad also)

'cmon Man,..... make us all PROUD of You, You can DO IT !!!

We'll be expecting to see you at the next Group Support Meeting.
Meetings are held on the 6th Sunday of each month.
We will not try to CURE you.
Like I said,..... It's a SUPPORT MEETING.

(and btw, yeah, the beadlocks help prevent the rim from getting bent).

OH GAWD IT'S TRUE....IT'S ALL TRUE!!!!!

I'm already on websites contemplating which wheels I'll get. Please check-out that website and help me decide...I can't decide between the scalloped beadlock of the conventional....or the polished, black or red color beadlock. Help me Ron-Tri-Kanobe!

Funny you mention the trailer, I was just looking at a toy-hauler SUPREME for sale and I'll tell ya, if I had a diesel truck, I'd probably do it in a heartbeat. But there ain't no way our gasoline YukonXL or my H2 will pull that thing and I'm not going to go buy some big Dodge or Chevy dually-rear-end, diesel just to pull it.....or am I??? ;)

tri5ron
08-04-2009, 07:01 PM
OH GAWD IT'S TRUE....IT'S ALL TRUE!!!!!

I'm already on websites contemplating which wheels I'll get. Please check-out that website and help me decide...I can't decide between the scalloped beadlock of the conventional....or the polished, black or red color beadlock. Help me Ron-Tri-Kanobe!

Funny you mention the trailer, I was just looking at a toy-hauler SUPREME for sale and I'll tell ya, if I had a diesel truck, I'd probably do it in a heartbeat. But there ain't no way our gasoline YukonXL or my H2 will pull that thing and I'm not going to go buy some big Dodge or Chevy dually-rear-end, diesel just to pull it.....or am I??? ;) I'd go with the polished conventionals and red beadlocks.

When we do El Mirage, with the quads and the sailers,this is the rig that we get by with. I customized the interior to be a quasi-stacker. Sailers on top, quads down below.
It may not be the Ritz, but it serves the purpose for now,
and besides, when all the toys are removed, It makes for a nice "Guest house" that has dual queen sized bunkbeds, and can sleep 2 adults in one bed, and 3 or 4 munchkins in the other,
and still has plenty of floor space to fit a couple more.
Hmmm,... I wonder who might want to jump on that???
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/Honda%20trx250ex%20quad/Camper%20and%20toybox/IMG_7352.jpg
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/Honda%20trx250ex%20quad/Camper%20and%20toybox/IMG_7336.jpg

and here's how we do it when we're not taking the sailers...
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/IMG_0448.jpg
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/3%20quad%20trailer/IMG_9494.jpg

BikeSwimLaugh
08-04-2009, 07:06 PM
What?...no above-ground pool with diving-board & curve-slide???? The least you could do is get a bunch of those little gnomes and post them around the campsite!

LOL..nice set-up. I'm thinking 18-foot open trailer rigged with poles to make a make-shift tent. We just do over-nights and I'm honestly afraid my princesses will grow out of this too quickly. The next step would probably be a motorhome...they're giving 'em away nowadays and come winter I can probalby steal a beauty for next to nothing. We can then tow the trailer with the RV and roll that way. I dunno, but it's all fun. :D

tri5ron
08-04-2009, 07:37 PM
What?...no above-ground pool with diving-board & curve-slide???? The least you could do is get a bunch of those little gnomes and post them around the campsite!

LOL..nice set-up. I'm thinking 18-foot open trailer rigged with poles to make a make-shift tent. We just do over-nights and I'm honestly afraid my princesses will grow out of this too quickly. The next step would probably be a motorhome...they're giving 'em away nowadays and come winter I can probalby steal a beauty for next to nothing. We can then tow the trailer with the RV and roll that way. I dunno, but it's all fun. :D
sounds like a good starter plan, and handled properly, they should never grow out of it. I do all I can to keep Cameron interested in it. and the more girls she meets and rides with, the better.
check this out.
http://www.myspace.com/offroadgirls
One of the lady members here, is a member of OffRoadGirls.
She goes by Winters126, and is a very nice lady, and VERY impressive rider.
Cameron has 4 framed pictures of her up on her wall above her bed LOL!!!

BikeSwimLaugh
08-04-2009, 09:14 PM
Ron,

I couldn't agree more with you. I always thought I needed a son for all my stuff: riding, wood-working, fishing, home-building, sports and especially pissing-out camp fires. Our first child was a girl. We decided to give "chance" another shot and if we had another girl we'd do that "gender selection" where they can get you the gender you want upto about 82% accuracy for our 3rd attempt...but the good Lord gave me twins. When I learned we were destined to have twins, I just knew they'd be girls, and sure enough...twin girls. Even the dog is a female and we just learned the pet turtle is too: it's friggin' Est-Fest over here!

After a trip in Hawaii and some enjoyable ATV time I suggested to my wife that perhaps we could get the whole family quads and she just calmly went along with it...figuring the liklihood was borderline absurd (my little princess girls). Well, it started with one tiny Chinese quad and they all took to it pretty well. Factor-in some selection of helmets, gloves and riding attire, and it all came together! Will their interest hold? I'm inclined to doubt it...but I'll (we'll) do what we can to foster it.

I do everything I can to make the trips as enjoyable as possible. If we ever get together, we'll do some treasure-hunts with the GPS radio's and have us a good time. I'll even bring the TV projector and we'll use the generator and shoot some DVD at a large screen...with the camp fire and stars above. It's not quite the plush princess life, but done properly it can be fun.

Now I'm all set to get wheels. YOUR FAULT RON! Everything would have been just fine if you hadn't directed me to Cam's thread! I showed my daughter the pics and she's intrigued to ride with another girl her age. Good stuff! :)

Now to just figure-out which wheels! :D

Snipe
08-04-2009, 09:37 PM
You can get powdercoated in pretty well any color you want. Have the nerf's bumper, wheels and hubs done and it adds some class. I even did my muffler for looks as well.

Beadlocks are ment for ease. As ATV tires are a Pain the A@@ to change on the trails very hard to get the bead off. What a beadlock dose is the outerplate unbolts off the tire and allows you to remove the tire with ease. It protects the bead of the tire as in XC style racing and MX to much flex can cause you to blow a tire off the bead and that much force can flip you off the bike I have seen it done.

MX usually runs beadlocks no the rears only and XC usually runs them all the way around. You can also do something as have the wheel polished and the beadlock ring powdercoated for color instead. Motoworks.com sells the Rock beadlocks. Im pretty happy with the OEM ones for now done black and the hubs done white.

tri5ron
08-04-2009, 09:45 PM
Ron,

I couldn't agree more with you. I always thought I needed a son for all my stuff: riding, wood-working, fishing, home-building, sports and especially pissing-out camp fires. Our first child was a girl. We decided to give "chance" another shot and if we had another girl we'd do that "gender selection" where they can get you the gender you want upto about 82% accuracy for our 3rd attempt...but the good Lord gave me twins. When I learned we were destined to have twins, I just knew they'd be girls, and sure enough...twin girls. Even the dog is a female and we just learned the pet turtle is too: it's friggin' Est-Fest over here!

After a trip in Hawaii and some enjoyable ATV time I suggested to my wife that perhaps we could get the whole family quads and she just calmly went along with it...figuring the liklihood was borderline absurd (my little princess girls). Well, it started with one tiny Chinese quad and they all took to it pretty well. Factor-in some selection of helmets, gloves and riding attire, and it all came together! Will their interest hold? I'm inclined to doubt it...but I'll (we'll) do what we can to foster it.

I do everything I can to make the trips as enjoyable as possible. If we ever get together, we'll do some treasure-hunts with the GPS radio's and have us a good time. I'll even bring the TV projector and we'll use the generator and shoot some DVD at a large screen...with the camp fire and stars above. It's not quite the plush princess life, but done properly it can be fun.

Now I'm all set to get wheels. YOUR FAULT RON! Everything would have been just fine if you hadn't directed me to Cam's thread! I showed my daughter the pics and she's intrigued to ride with another girl her age. Good stuff! :)

Now to just figure-out which wheels! :D
LMAO, Definately good stuff !
We'll most certainly be doing a trip together to the lakebed.
another freind of mine from my RVer's forum wants to go with his family also. he's got a couple of young-un's too. we are tenatively shooting for sometime late sept. or oct., after it starts to cool off out there some.

My wife has a really cool computer controlled telescope. it's a Meade ETX90, and I went absolutely A.A.D.S. nutso on it. (A.A.D.S. knows no boundries). It's even got a camera to put in place of the eyepiece, and can be hooked up to a tv.
We'll have to plug it into your projector, and have our own Celestial IMAX goin' on!

we'll have a blast! model rockets, horseshoes, hobo stew followed by some peach cobbler in the dutch oven on the open campfire, a cold brew, stars via IMAX, some sailing, some quading, maybe a squirtgun fight.
ahh nevermind,....
it dosent sound like any fun at all.

tri5ron
08-04-2009, 09:51 PM
Snipe,
are you saying they make a beadlock for my OEM wheels?
Ohhh Lawd,
The beast from within,... may begin to tremble again...
for I must feed the beast !

BikeSwimLaugh
08-04-2009, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by tri5ron

My wife has a really cool computer controlled telescope. it's a Meade ETX90, and I went absolutely A.A.D.S. nutso on it. (A.A.D.S. knows no boundries). It's even got a camera to put in place of the eyepiece, and can be hooked up to a tv.
We'll have to plug it into your projector, and have our own Celestial IMAX goin' on!

OMG.....I'll bring the Pink Floyd, lasers and some cigars, comfortably numb won't begin to describe it.

I just bought a whole bunch of LED valve-caps.....at night, when the quad gets rolling, the wheels all light-up: too F-in cool. I also have some of these frisbee-like things with LED's and you put them on a hand-thingy and pull a string...they'll shoot about 150-feet up into the air and hover for a while...very trippy, then the kids to retrieve them on their quads.

Set the date, we so there!

tri5ron
08-04-2009, 10:05 PM
OMG.....I'll bring the Pink Floyd, lasers and some cigars, comfortably numb won't begin to describe it.

I just bought a whole bunch of LED valve-caps.....at night, when the quad gets rolling, the wheels all light-up: too F-in cool. I also have some of these frisbee-like things with LED's and you put them on a hand-thingy and pull a string...they'll shoot about 150-feet up into the air and hover for a while...very trippy, then the kids to retrieve them on their quads.

Set the date, we so there! your on! I like cheap cigars, and expensive cognac,...
Dark side of the Moon, Here we come!

BikeSwimLaugh
08-04-2009, 10:15 PM
NIGHT RIDE!!!!!!!!

Between both our 400's, we'll catch that rascally rabbit or crash tryin' :D

Ah gawd....too bad they don't have shot-guns that shoot nets, it would be too fun!!

tri5ron
08-04-2009, 10:19 PM
here ya go....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfa_Di26HM4

BikeSwimLaugh
08-04-2009, 10:24 PM
Ughhh.....finer mesh, let the fun begin!!!!!

Make it happen Ron, I don't care what it cost....I'll cover the spread, just bring it.