PDA

View Full Version : Vortex X10: Too much?!

Butter
08-03-2009, 08:40 PM
Ok, doing the FCR carb, and my bro has an '04-'05 Vortex X10 box that he said he'll give me. I figure my bike will be insane after these 2 mods, but I have a concern. My bro blew a motor (only one since running a 450R) while running this box like 3 years ago, and he believes it was because the box over-revs the engine with the limiter being all the way up at 11,250-11,700. Stock is 9,800. Does anyone run this box on an '04-'05 and have any problems? Has it shortened the life of an engine? Any input would be great. Thanks.

Quick list to know what I will be running: Rossier head, Rossier full, K&N with ProDesign Intake, Stock piston, '07 TRX FCR carb.

ppeengines
08-03-2009, 11:30 PM
Your engine will run fine with these two mods. Now mind you I build engines for a living. Constant over revving will cause your engine life to diminish faster than running the engine under the stock rev limit. Over revving can cause your crank or connecting rod to seize up. I see this on a weekly basis. Its the price we pay for for built motors and to WIN. Pros do their engine after every race and some times each moto. To prevent this because the run their motors cranked.
Just keep this in mind

eastside 400
08-04-2009, 03:10 PM
ive been using the vortex and dyna boxes for three seasons and have never had a problem, im using stock valve springs also which most people say not to do with ignitions, your valve life will be alot shorter tho especially if you use Ti valves

pro-rider46
08-07-2009, 09:39 PM
yeah the thing with ignitions that rev higher they throw out rod bearings a lot faster, even if your at the stock rev limit. but if you check your oil, and mainly the filter you might be lucky to catch it. if you are in your motor anytime soon, a new crank, or rebuilt crank will be added insurance that it will last longer...

Butter
08-07-2009, 10:21 PM
Yeah thats what I'm afraid of. I change my oil and filter just about every ride, so not worried about lack of maintenance. Just don't want it going all at once. Eastside 400 knows that track I'm mostly on, especially after my injury, and if your on the limiter there (Atco) you gotta be retarded, lol. All supercross style, right outta turns rhythm sections kinda stuff. But I'm going to give it a shot, either way, and if it blows, thats why God made replacement parts. Thanks for the imput. I had a good group of you give advice unlike on alot of other things, I got goons just saying what they've heard about from other goons.

Steve, if your home from vacation, send me an e-mail. That guy still had that carb, so I was going to work that out with you.