PDA

View Full Version : So I just picked up a 2004 400ex

Ryanwolfe911
08-03-2009, 07:52 PM
I found this on craigslist, and the guy was asking $1200, and it's an '04, so i figured I'd check it out cause he was local.

We got to talking and it turns out he's a gun enthusiast like me, and didn't know much about 4 stroke motors (obviously. I'll get to that later) so he agreed to trade me straight up for an AR-15 I built, that I only had $700 into. I figured, what the hell, it runs, how bad can it be?

I think I made a fair trade, considering. The guy told me that he just rebuilt the top end, but couldn't get it to stay running at anything under half throttle, with the valves all the way unadjusted. Adjust them to specs, and nothing (which told me right of the bat that he didn't set the cam timing right) Turns out I was right, but he was also a freakin liar. When I pulled it apart, someone had rebuilt it allright, about 5 years ago it looks like to me. It had a standard bore Namura piston in it, the rings were wasted and the cylinder walls are so glossy I can see my face in it. There are no cross hatch marks to speak of, lol. Which explains why it was smoking like a crack whore and blowing oil out the exhaust. But whatever, I got it to run after resetting the cam timing to where it should have been (he had it 2 teeth off) So I'm not too pissed, cause even though he kinda lied to me (maybe he didn't, cause he got it on trade from someone else, maybe they told him they did the top end) Well anyways, the last person that was in the motor was an IDIOT. They reused ALL the top end gaskets, including the head gasket, and thouroughly coated all of them (yes, the metal gaskets) with orange RTV. It's a miracle that none of it made it into the engine oiling system. You know though, with as bad as the top end was, the thing still ran and drove pretty good, and the rest of the bike is in awsome shape and was 100% bone stock, right down to the parking brake still being there. ALl the brakes and suspension are in good shape and the plastics are intact.

Only thing I'm missing is the plastic piece that the gas tank sits on, so if anyone wants to sell one, PM me.

I'm gonna use the bad top end as an excuse to do an entire tear down and rebuild, with a gusseted and PC'ed frame, longer swingarm/wider A-arms and maybe some budget 450R shocks. I figure since I have practically nothing into it, I wont feel bad about really building the engine too. Maybe a 460 stroker with a 41mm FCR carb. BTW, I took the stock carb apart and the guy had a 170 main jet in it!!! On a totally stock engine at 6000ft elevation!! unreal..

ANyways, do you think I made out pretty good?
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t268/ryanwolfe911/100_0574.jpg
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t268/ryanwolfe911/100_0575.jpg

chillytater
08-03-2009, 08:40 PM
thats an awsome deal i just 600 bucks for my 2004 and it looks nothing like that one and top end was fried i getting a new head and rocker cover it was so bad great deal and my stock plastics are all cracked and faded great deal i feel like i got screwed now thanks alot guy lol

Team X
08-04-2009, 01:27 PM
Good buy! I can't belive he had a 170 main (up here) and re-used all the gaskets and it still ran, thats why I love honda!!

Ryanwolfe911
08-04-2009, 02:30 PM
I wouldn't have a 170 main in it if i were at sea level with a pipe cam and filter!

bergoff
08-04-2009, 06:22 PM
you have to love backyard mechanics. i've done some dumb things but nothing like that. looks nice and clean though.

Ryanwolfe911
08-04-2009, 07:07 PM
RTV on metal gaskets...*shakes head*

rideahonda
08-04-2009, 07:57 PM
not bad

good project bike