PDA

View Full Version : Just when i thought my ds was fixed!

bwkcobra03
08-03-2009, 05:08 PM
:mad: Just when i thought my ds was fixed!It is back at the dealer for oil leaks.

X400EX
08-03-2009, 07:51 PM
From where it leaks?

Foxstar45
08-04-2009, 10:39 AM
Everyone who is going to get the 09 clutch service bullitin done. be ware that the kit does not include new gaskets (if you take the engine apart the gaskets are throw aways) tell your dealer to order gaskets that you need to split the engine case and put it back together. This is why your oil is leaking.

grannysleeper
08-04-2009, 12:21 PM
I agree. I keep hearing about all of these coolant and oil leak problems after having the clutch updated, and I can garantee it's because the dealer doing the work either got cheap and didn't want to replace the seals/gaskets, or forgot to order them and did the repair without them. It is very important to replace any seal or gasket that has already been installed, regardless of make or model! It's cheap insurance!

TNT
08-04-2009, 04:36 PM
That’s why it’s best to have a manual. If it were me since I can be an a-h###, and I don’t care if it comes to my car, quads, I watch every step of the way for various reasons I won’t mention, let’s just say in all my years of dealing w/mechanics/parts guy’s I know better, also as a racer you learn fast not to trust anyone take control over your mechanical problems or they will control you. It’s what I do for a living helping mechanics do their job correctly, in my current role I write the manual they work to.

I would take the pages of the manual that apply and take it to the parts guy so he can see all the parts that need to be ordered/replaced then I would go over it with the mechanic prior to them starting the work, just so we have a gentlemen’s agreement of the work and any cost…then I would tell them it’s my quad I paid good money for it I am a racer concerned about safety and I am the “quality inspector”, I want to see the bad parts, the new parts, the sealant applied, verify all the adjustments, etc….. before I pay a red cent.

Sad to say but the quality of workmanship in a lot of shops these days has resorted to this but not only that, this gives you an opportunity to learn more see the products, how they are installed, that it’s done right for racing and safe, and to see if there any upgrades you may want.

In this case I would get copies of the manual take to the general manager and ask “what part of replace all the seals don’t you all understand”????? OMG send your mechanic back to basics, class 101. And if that doesn’t work to a point where they are searching high and wide for parts to get you your quad and in days (and the rest in this predicament)l take it to the CEO or Better Business Bureau put in a claim against the dealer.

Sure hope replacing all the seals is called out in the manual or I’ll have to eat some crow here lol……Well if it’s not and I don’t have mine here to see it should be!!!! It’s common sense!

bwkcobra03
08-06-2009, 04:57 PM
My oil leaks are from the head and cylinder. ???? The case gaskets are fine and not leaking

comander420
08-06-2009, 06:10 PM
I called my dealer and they said they got the new manual that says the clutches were updated for 09-10 and that the sqeeling that the 08s experience is considered normal and no upgrades will be allowed.

kellymi
08-06-2009, 08:53 PM
I would call them back and talk to the owner/manager. When you talk to them very strongly insist that they call can-am to find out for sure. Print out the service bulletin and show that to them. It is on here somewhere. The bulletin clearly states what machines need the update. I had one dealer tell me basically what yours told you. I went to another dealer that actually called can-am and they ended up doing the update under warranty with like 3 days left on the warranty. If it is still under warranty they should do it. You need to really push them to call can-am! I have found that a lot of can-am dealers don't know anything. :mad: Hell the first time I saw a DS in person I was at a dealer open house that had a Can-am rep there and I knew more about the quad then he did.

xrxmxcx
08-06-2009, 09:01 PM
Tell your dealer to send his service tech's in for training, with BRP surfing these pages maybe they will step up the service requirements.

:rolleyes:

ProspectorJim
08-06-2009, 09:12 PM
The squealing is normal, but the shattering isn't...

Foxstar45
08-06-2009, 09:49 PM
The squeeling can be fixed with that clutch update that we are all so familiar with. I had to pay for it though and didn't do it till AFTER my clutch explodered. The parts weren't crazy expensive though and the quad doesn't sound like a POS evertime i leave in 1st gear.

comander420
08-08-2009, 11:28 AM
I called the dealer that I bought it from in North Carolina and they told me that they have 3 racers that they sponser and all their quads squeel as well and that it is normal. I have told both dealers now to just call BRP and they seem like they are scared of them but then say how great BRP support is and that if there was a problem BRP would stand behind it.

Just so I understand when it squeels that is the clutches rubbing together with too little oil? Is that what eventually bends the plates and causes the clutch to explode? And if so how long does that take and is that covered under the factory warranty?

nbm
08-08-2009, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by comander420
I called the dealer that I bought it from in North Carolina and they told me that they have 3 racers that they sponser and all their quads squeel as well and that it is normal. I have told both dealers now to just call BRP and they seem like they are scared of them but then say how great BRP support is and that if there was a problem BRP would stand behind it.

Just so I understand when it squeels that is the clutches rubbing together with too little oil? Is that what eventually bends the plates and causes the clutch to explode? And if so how long does that take and is that covered under the factory warranty?

I only have about three hours on my quad after getting the update done and the clutch has yet to squeal. Prior to the update it was very loud and annoying. As I stated in another thread I tried to call can am but was unable to get ahold of anyone or leave a message. If this is considered normal why does the can am team drill holes in the clutch basket to solve this problem? It can't be just because it annoys their factory riders. Can am claims that there is no added wear or mechanical issues due to the lack of oil on the clutch plates but I don't believe that at all. On a side note the quad is much more fun to ride trails when the clutch doesn't squeal. Why don't you try to call can am customer service and if you actually get to talk to someone please post what they say.