PDA

View Full Version : 14/39 Combo???

airmobile101
08-03-2009, 01:17 AM
Ok, I just want to toss this out and hear some results or opinions.Sooo................. Has anybody ran this setup with a big bore kit and a DRZ/Trail tech flywheel? I need to gear this bike up for more top end I guess, the current 13/39 combo isnt doing it for me anymore. I go thru the gears way to quick. I was thinking of 14/39 or should I try a 14/38???

dvx440/440ex
08-03-2009, 08:37 PM
depends what u are running for tires your best bet is to get a couple of combos and try them out i run a 15/38 on my quad when i run on the ice with small tires and 14/40 in the winter with my pro wedges on the trails because its mainly woods and i want a load of bottom end and dont need as much top

airmobile101
08-04-2009, 01:43 AM
I run Kenda Knarly 20" on CF1'S. The problem is you can't just slap some sprockets on and ride around. It has to be tested thru race pace which is really hard to duplicate unless your racing naturally. I just figured I would ask if anyone else runs that setup prior to me trying it. No biggy.

Flynbryan19
08-06-2009, 02:11 PM
I'm not sure what racing you do, but I run gncc's with this combo, but on a stock bore motor. At the flatter races it has been fine. At Snowshoe I was wanting more rpm's. It didn't pull the hills as well as it did with the 13/39 combo. When I buy chain/sprockets again I will be going back to 14/40.

Since your on a big bore I would say this will probably be a great combo for you as you will have the torque to pull it. I'm just alittle down on power yet for it to work at the hilly races.

airmobile101
08-06-2009, 04:26 PM
Thanks Flynbryan19. I run the Ozark xc series. I got a OMA race on the 15th, so I just wanted to get an idea. I did make it a 14/39 combo today. It seems alot better to my liking, but the race will tell the truth.

icanzu
08-18-2009, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by airmobile101
Thanks Flynbryan19. I run the Ozark xc series. I got a OMA race on the 15th, so I just wanted to get an idea. I did make it a 14/39 combo today. It seems alot better to my liking, but the race will tell the truth.

Hey I'd really like to get your feedback from your gearing set up for the OXC race on the 15th. I raced Westfalia with a 13/40 set up with a big bore and found it to still be too tall. I'm kinda surprised that you're geared that high for how technical some of the stuff is here in SW MO.

Here in Chadwick which is real technical I now run a 12/42 and reeeealy like it. Always in the power band when I need it with plenty in 4th and 5th when it gets open.

Yeah, 1st is pretty much for rock climbing and mega grades...:muscle:

OXC #513

airmobile101
08-21-2009, 01:02 PM
Haaaa, I was going thru the damn gears way too quick with the 13/40 combo, plus I run a Trailtech flywheel, So it revs out fast. Even in the technical stuff, with the 13/40 gears, first was worthless.
I tried it at the OMA at Festus for the first time, and I liked it! Not near as much shifting. 1st gear worked alot better for rock/ridge climbing.
If you come up to Trenton, look me up and I let yea try it!