PDA

View Full Version : quads to dirt bikes

One_Bad_400
08-02-2009, 11:53 PM
i hear alot of people say they switch to dirt bikes becasue of money and reliability. are dirt bikes really that much more reliable and cheaper then these quads? i'm just really getting frusterated with every other ride the frame getting a crack/a-arm bushing/ carrier bearings/ 4 tires to have to deal with pumping up every time i crank it up/ nerf bar distruction/ having to have the best LT suspension to even compete/ having to do major motor work to even compete/ bent axles. there is just always something to work on.

and i'm on my way to collage in a month, then i really cant afford to mess with this turd. PLUS i forgot that EVERY track HATES quads.

i love the quad world to death, its just getting hard to hold up anymore, it was all fine and dandy when mom and dad were paying for everything. now the economy is s*i*t*ng on everyones face, its getting rough.

ZBlaster
08-03-2009, 12:00 AM
I was actually having this discussion with a friend of mine up here today. Bikes are slightly cheaper to buy new (around here atleast), and basically can be raced and be competitive off the showroom floor. The initial cost is a little cheaper, but as far as reliability... maintenance is the biggest factor there. Take care of your quad and it'll be as reliable as anything else. To me, quads are more fun, bikes just don't do it for me, and thats why I race them, and will continue to.

motofreak2772
08-03-2009, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by One_Bad_400
i hear alot of people say they switch to dirt bikes becasue of money and reliability. are dirt bikes really that much more reliable and cheaper then these quads? i'm just really getting frusterated with every other ride the frame getting a crack/a-arm bushing/ carrier bearings/ 4 tires to have to deal with pumping up every time i crank it up/ nerf bar distruction/ having to have the best LT suspension to even compete/ having to do major motor work to even compete/ bent axles. there is just always something to work on.

and i'm on my way to collage in a month, then i really cant afford to mess with this turd. PLUS i forgot that EVERY track HATES quads.

i love the quad world to death, its just getting hard to hold up anymore, it was all fine and dandy when mom and dad were paying for everything. now the economy is s*i*t*ng on everyones face, its getting rough.

you have 3 bikes... money cant be that big of a deal in your house lol. Stick with it until your forced to sell out. If or when you do you can use the money to buy a bike, but I still think that there will always be something to work on with bikes too. It doesnt matter what you do people always find something that needs to be improved but they do come better stock.

muddy400EX
08-03-2009, 01:35 AM
bikes are definately cheaper to buy, and although they still require maintenance, theres less stuff to break.

before my ltr i had 3 400ex's and an 03 rm125. every always says, "dont buy 2 strokes, u have to rebuild them all the time" blah blah. the RM was the only vehicle ive had that i didnt have any problems with. every 400 had something that needed fixed constantly, and even my ltr the first day i rode it my battery fell out and i ran over it and had to buy a new one :ermm:

rbgnwa45
08-03-2009, 01:58 AM
I'd say it's cheaper if it's a two-stroke and you're maintaining it. If you screw up a spoke in the woods, you can ride it out. You can't ride out a broken axle & a-arm. You don't have to worry about ground clearance. I can turn a bike around on a dime with a foot out but I need 2x the space to turn a quad around. Those newer 125's are rockets even the 85's keep up with small riders, once you think the top won't pull any harder that's what it does. The only complaint I have is having to rev the crap out of it to get going. Bikes will always give more confidence for me. It's like riding a horse instead of a cow. I like being able to lean especially in the woods. What someone needs to do is make a very light track/rearwheel & front-ski setup so that a 125 can efficiently pull it without loss of power, then I'd buy one. The only reason I'd buy a quad is for snow :devil: .

Brad77
08-03-2009, 08:32 AM
There sure has been a lot of threads about switching to bikes. :confused:

Oh I have got quads and a bike.

Scottt89
08-03-2009, 08:47 AM
I have a 250r that has spent more time in pieces than it has being ridden. Problem with quads are that you have to buy stuff in multiples. Always need 4 new tires which aren't that much cheaper if at all than buying a bike tire. You don't just buy 1 a-arm you have to buy a set. You have $400 plastic scratching and breaking vs. $30's for some bike fenders. It just gets old. While it is fun, it gets expensive. My buddy and I got into Utilities for a while but decided that we wanted to race here and there again. Bikes just made sense. 1 truck both bikes and a ramp and you are going. To me they are just easier. I love my Kx450f. Although I do like the 2 stroke rebuilds a lot more than the idea of a 4stroke top end.

But I can honestly say that I have had a Z400 and a Banshee, both did me well. I try to baby them, but sometimes woods in PA can be brutal on a machine. I never had any real issues with either bikes. Dented A-Arm or a popped tire is about it. I guess the only problem with the 250r is that since it is 90% aftermarket, you are always waiting on a part or fixing a part. There is something to be said about just slapping a pipe and some new tires and rims on a bike. Seems to be a lot easier on the wallet.

whitebros400
08-03-2009, 09:00 AM
Plus you don't have to worry about them being totaled if you mess up on a hill

andrew450r
08-03-2009, 10:24 AM
I made the switch about a 2 weeks ago because of money. It seems like every time i took the quad out i broke somthing, i would spend $500+ a month on repairs/ tires. And in order to race you need new a arms, shocks, stems, motor work, etc. Bikes are basicly ready to go out of the box!! and they dont break down half as much. And besides money, i think bikes are funner to ride than quads.

kawabunga
08-03-2009, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by muddy400EX
even my ltr the first day i rode it my battery fell out and i ran over it and had to buy a new one :ermm:

Haha, sorry man, that's not funny but it make me laugh. Reminds me of that time I was jetting my 450R and I didn't put my back plastic on and just threw my seat on and went for a quick test ride. I stood up and without the plastic on the seat bounced out and fell forward, then allowing me to run my seat over :eek:
Boy, did I feel dumb...

Sorry that was off topic. :cool:
I have also considered the switch because of the cost, but I suck at riding bikes so much that I'm afraid to jump into it and sell my quad because I'm almost positive that I wouldn't stick with the bike. That and I would want my wheeler back as soon as I sent it away.

andrew450r
08-03-2009, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by kawabunga

I have also considered the switch because of the cost, but I suck at riding bikes so much that I'm afraid to jump into it and sell my quad because I'm almost positive that I wouldn't stick with the bike. That and I would want my wheeler back as soon as I sent it away.

I thought the same thing, but bikes are way easier to ride IMO. You can dodge rocks and mud on trails instead of having to run them over. Jumping is easier too, you dont have to worry about getting bucked sideways off the lip. And once you get the feeling of 2 wheels down, you can go soo much faster in the woods/track.

8my_Cash
08-03-2009, 11:50 AM
quads being expensive are the reason why we love our sport so much :)

muddy400EX
08-03-2009, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by kawabunga
Haha, sorry man, that's not funny but it make me laugh. Reminds me of that time I was jetting my 450R and I didn't put my back plastic on and just threw my seat on and went for a quick test ride. I stood up and without the plastic on the seat bounced out and fell forward, then allowing me to run my seat over :eek:
Boy, did I feel dumb...

haha its cool, i think its kinda funny now to, didnt at the time tho,lol.

if you switch to bikes u will feel wierd at first. but after a couple months youll get used to it

usp4u
08-03-2009, 01:11 PM
about 8yrs. ago I switched to bikes and had a blast. In that time I rode a '93 CR250, '02 RM125, '04 RM-Z250f, it was fun and I was pretty decent.
The problem was I found that I required ALOT of seat to maintain my ability. As my job became more and more important to me, I rode less and less. I got frustrated with it because I would think about how I could be faster through a section of the track if I were on my old race quad. That is when I made the desicion to come back to quads. I seem to have more "natural ability" on a quad than a bike.
I took alot of flak from my riding buddies, but they do find it amazing how fast I can go on a quad. None of them have ever ridden anything but bikes, so they think quads are death-traps.
It is more expensive and more of a pain in the butt to live with a quad. When I had my bike, I used to go to the track in the evenings, ride the trails around the house, and ran several off-road races. All with one machine. I sure as hell can't go running my hybrid in a muddy off-road race, and it's scary to ride fast in the woods because if I hit tree and bend an a-arm I've gotta pay through the nose to get one from Walsh.
Bikes are easier & cheaper to live with, but I'll keep my quads. ;)

Kevslatvin
08-03-2009, 05:22 PM
I too have been thinking about switching to bikes lately. I mostly attempt to ride MX. I don't race just play around really. 30 to 45ft. jumps is about my max right now. Mostly 'cause I've heard bikes are easier to jump. It's sorta unsettling when I leave the jump and the quad's rear is thrown funny. But it seems like it would be easier to wreck a bike. Also I've only been riding about 3 1/2 years and no bike exp. Being older(35) I'm more concerned about injuries than if I had started younger.

ricksmx865
08-03-2009, 08:33 PM
I just listed my quad FS/trade on craiglist the other day....

I started off on bikes, dont get me wrong I love the quad and hate to see it go... but being a broke college student with very lil support in the sport I just cannot afford to race the quad anymore :confused:

Brad77
08-03-2009, 08:52 PM
I see a lot of people mention cost when talking about switching to bikes. I realize that there are less parts on a bike to break, but riding is not a cheap hobby. Those guys who want to switch to bikes because they are breaking a-arms and swingarms, well if they are riding that hard they are gonna break bike parts too.
I think that bikes and quads are cool. In fact I like anything that goes in the dirt that has handlebars. Although I show favortism to quads because ATVs is what I started out on. I think that ATVs show more personality than bikes. I see the saying all the time "I wanna ride a bike cause you don't have to buy any parts for it to be race ready". Well to me that is kinda what makes the quad stand out more. You build the quad to your taste and that makes them unique. Plus there are already a ton of bike riders so being a quad rider makes the rider unique too.
To those of you wanting to switch go ahead an do what makes you happy but I do have a request.
If you ride quad MX like I do, then you already know that us quad riders have a hard time getting tracks to let us ride. So when you get your dirt bike how about stick up for us still wanting to ride four wheels.
I do have a dirt bike and I like to ride it but I mostly stay on 4.

muddy400EX
08-03-2009, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Kevslatvin
I too have been thinking about switching to bikes lately. I mostly attempt to ride MX. I don't race just play around really. 30 to 45ft. jumps is about my max right now. Mostly 'cause I've heard bikes are easier to jump. It's sorta unsettling when I leave the jump and the quad's rear is thrown funny. But it seems like it would be easier to wreck a bike. Also I've only been riding about 3 1/2 years and no bike exp. Being older(35) I'm more concerned about injuries than if I had started younger.

you do go down more than if you were on a quad. but mostly its just falling down, where as a quad your pretty much getting ran over and tromped on by your own wheeler

08-03-2009, 10:21 PM
As someone already said building your quad is half the fun in my opinion. I have never been to a track where someone had the same (looking) quad as me. where as on a bike your more than likely going to see someone else with the exact same bike as you. the economy will get better, quads are not as popular as bikes as it is, keep our sport alive. Just don't forget the feeling of sliding around a turn pinned in 3rd just watching the bikes come to a near complete stop on the same turn. :devil:

muddy400EX
08-03-2009, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by 450r_mayhem
As someone already said building your quad is half the fun in my opinion. I have never been to a track where someone had the same (looking) quad as me. where as on a bike your more than likely going to see someone else with the exact same bike as you. the economy will get better, quads are not as popular as bikes as it is, keep our sport alive. Just don't forget the feeling of sliding around a turn pinned in 3rd just watching the bikes come to a near complete stop on the same turn. :devil:

building a quad is fun...when you have the money to build it,lol. if i had 10 grand to build up my quad i would have a blast picking out parts and putting it together. but i definately dont:(

250x_kyle
08-03-2009, 11:27 PM
they are cheaper only because there is less stuff to break.

Kevslatvin
08-03-2009, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by muddy400EX
you do go down more than if you were on a quad. but mostly its just falling down, where as a quad your pretty much getting ran over and tromped on by your own wheeler

Luckily I've not been ran over yet, though I have been ejected. One thing that really makes me have second thoughts on switching is I know a guy who broke his leg on a bike. He wasn't jumping, just making a turn on the track and caught a hole where a rock had been with the front tire and went down. I think I still want a bike but I don't want to give up my quad to get one. Sometimes I think I'd like to move up to a 450, set it up for flattrack, and get a bike to ride MX on.

S.A.J
08-04-2009, 05:07 PM
Ive had 2 400exs,one which was pretty built motorwise atleast,2 2004 450r's one was a 480,and couple utilitys,and about idk 5 or 6months ago or so i traded my 416ex for a 2001 cr125.was the first time a ever rode a bike and i really didnt like it all that much,and i sold it before i had a good 2hrs on it.Then i traded my 480r for my klx300(331) and im loving it,i feel real comfortable on it so far and ive wiped out 2 times all thts hapened so far is a broke clutch lever and bent shifter which was easy to bend back...
I love bikes and if i had a choice between a brand new 450 bike or quad id prolly take the bike,only if it was a 4stroke though,i dont feel comfortable on the 2strokes at all.

Id also agree with and say that bikes are much cheaper in the long run than quads...if i were to get a quad again though itd be made into a drag quad,and the bike for everythng else.

Thats my opinion/experience of switching from quads to bikes.

08-04-2009, 05:48 PM
i'm thinking of getting a dirtbike. I ride my brothers RM80 and it lacks some power and suspension but its pretty fun once you get used to it. I know a lot of people go to quads once they ride a dirtbike in the sand but its fun how you get sideways like drifting turns and darting in between trees. I kinda want a CRF250

400exrider69
08-04-2009, 05:51 PM
bikes are a ton of fun
there fast off the showroom floor
a modded bike will be good bit less then a modded quad

if anyone in the midwest is looking for bikes i got a
xc set up yz 250
and a 479cc yz426f i'd sale :D
pm me if your interested 1500 smackers each

Tommy Warren
08-04-2009, 06:03 PM
dirt bikes are like tampons.....every pu$$y has one!:p :D

bansheeboy321
08-04-2009, 06:09 PM
two stroke bikes are very very cheap to own. I know plenty of people that just throw a new set of rings in every 2 years or so and continue to ride on....did i mention you can pick up a very quick 125 for 1500 bucks and race, that 1500 wont buy A arms and shocks for a quad....bike are much cheaper

KXRida
08-04-2009, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
dirt bikes are like tampons.....every pu$$y has one!

The hardest part about being a quad rider is telling your parents you're gay...

Made the switch to bikes about 6 or so years ago and haven't looked back. Granted each has their price differences. Example the retail suspension set up on my yzf is roughly $950 give or take. A retail suspension on a quad including a-arms can easily go upwards for $2000 without a problem. Quads are fun, but the only time I want on one again is on

muddy400EX
08-04-2009, 09:17 PM

haha iono bout that. watch a guy on a bike do a nice whip right by you and then say hes a *****,lol:blah:

woodsman250r
08-05-2009, 08:25 AM

LOL typical comment from a quadtard who can't ride a bike to save his life. It's OK that you suck on a bike and need training wheels, but don't call people who can ride a bike a pu$$y because you can't.

Tommy Warren
08-05-2009, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by woodsman250r
LOL typical comment from a quadtard who can't ride a bike to save his life. It's OK that you suck on a bike and need training wheels, but don't call people who can ride a bike a pu$$y because you can't.

speaking of tampons.. I think this dude needs one. LOL

p.s LOL at the suzuki ozark!!

exrider12
08-05-2009, 10:48 AM
Canadians:rolleyes:

P.S. LOL at the FMF pipe

08-05-2009, 01:03 PM
the only comment i have about a lot of dirt bikers is they seem too cocky and act like they own the place. half the time they end up ruining our jumps we build because they follow the same rut every time. Then they watch us build it up again and 15 minutes later you say phuket because its ruined. Then the dirtbikers that cross your path or goon ride not on purpose and you fear getting t-boned because they cant keep it going straight. Atleast the bad quad riders are usually too slow to do anything. One time a dirtbiker pulls out right on the landing of a jump and i'm in the air. I lock up the brakes in the air hoping I can slow down enough as I land so the accident isnt as bad. I come down sliding the guy tries taking off but isnt going anywhere and i'm hauling I almost flipped my quad trying not to crush this guys legs I slid the quad sideways and stopped about an inch from him. Yeah not even a sorry he just looked at me like I was at fault and took off.

woodsman250r
08-05-2009, 01:22 PM
speaking of tampons.. I think this dude needs one. LOL

p.s LOL at the suzuki ozark!!

Dude I have three bikes, the Ozark is what I use when I go out and make trails and cut firewood. LOL at you not being able to ride a bike and make up stupid sayings about dirt bikes. But you do sound like a pro parking lot racer, especially with your K&N powerlid. Don't be a dickweed on here and act like quads rule the earth. Everyone for the most part on this site rides, plain and simple. It is people like you that give quad/bike riders a bad name with your stupid comments.

muddy400EX
08-05-2009, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by FlewByU352
the only comment i have about a lot of dirt bikers is they seem too cocky and act like they own the place. half the time they end up ruining our jumps we build because they follow the same rut every time. Then they watch us build it up again and 15 minutes later you say phuket because its ruined. Then the dirtbikers that cross your path or goon ride not on purpose and you fear getting t-boned because they cant keep it going straight. Atleast the bad quad riders are usually too slow to do anything. One time a dirtbiker pulls out right on the landing of a jump and i'm in the air. I lock up the brakes in the air hoping I can slow down enough as I land so the accident isnt as bad. I come down sliding the guy tries taking off but isnt going anywhere and i'm hauling I almost flipped my quad trying not to crush this guys legs I slid the quad sideways and stopped about an inch from him. Yeah not even a sorry he just looked at me like I was at fault and took off.

unfortunately that is def true. dirtbike guys are VERY cocky and def look down on quad dudes. wish they werent tho, i love watchin the good bike guys ride the track and would like talkin to them and stuff, but there to damn full of themself. but a quad guy will usually come right up to you and be like "whats up?" even if he dont know you.

Tommy Warren
08-06-2009, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by woodsman250r
Dude I have three bikes, the Ozark is what I use when I go out and make trails and cut firewood. LOL at you not being able to ride a bike and make up stupid sayings about dirt bikes. But you do sound like a pro parking lot racer, especially with your K&N powerlid. Don't be a dickweed on here and act like quads rule the earth. Everyone for the most part on this site rides, plain and simple. It is people like you that give quad/bike riders a bad name with your stupid comments.

Take a joke douche. I've had dirt bikes since I was 5 so what makes you think I can't ride. I just like quads more ( real quads not ozarks) And for your information buddy this is ATVRIDERS.com so on here quads DO rule the earth. I'm sure theres a dirtbikewiners.com for you try that. or maybe ozarkhumpers.com:rolleyes:

ridered11
08-06-2009, 01:38 PM
Isn't this an ATV site?

Tommy Warren
08-06-2009, 02:24 PM
I thought it was maybe I'm wrong

exrider12
08-06-2009, 08:44 PM
Shut up:huh

Tommy Warren
08-06-2009, 08:50 PM
:rolleyes:

exrider12
08-06-2009, 10:00 PM
All your doing is arguing.. Really, give it up:rolleyes:

ohiomxyfz
08-07-2009, 02:48 AM
I like both and have thought about going strictly bike but i cant. Through the woods i can haul the mail on a bike and i mean haul the mail but i cant jump a bike i have tried. Now when it comes to a quad i have no problem jumping over 100' and feel like im slacking if im not jumping big. Bikes are cheaper but im competitive and i know i cant be on a bike due to my nature. I grew up on 4 wheels and am good with them. Its not that im a quadtard or a pu**y i just feel more comfy on a quad jumping. Ive shoved quite a few bikes out of my way and looked down on quite a few bikes when i was jumping them. No Doubt some bike guys are good but the ones that think they are just cause their on a bike pi** me off. Those are the ones i like showing...."look dude i got 2 more wheels and over 100lbs more and im the one looking down on you, you need to grow a set"........But they both are fun its just all in what you feel good on

KXRida
08-07-2009, 05:40 AM
wow and I thought natural selection would've taken this guy out by now...

Whatever bud, each has their pro's and con's. I've raced both, still own both, and ride a bike more. So what if he has an ozark? I have a recon. Who gives a flying f*ck. Make up your own signatures too or atleast say it right.

btw, your mother should've been giving a blow job the night you were conceived. ;)