PDA

View Full Version : 460 stroker builders!!!

randallp1
08-02-2009, 03:25 AM
Ive got a new project going on and need some advice from the stroker boys. I have the 4mil hot rod stroker crank(bought the bottom end) and i have the 440 jug with the hd studs and a 13 or 14:1 compression piston. I was wondering any tips on keeping it together for more than 2 rides. I race 300ft sand and i wont be on it all the time but it would be nice to know that i could go for a trail ride or a dune trip ya know. Give me all the advice you have. Special head gaskets? running no base gasket? i see those guys running the fans. Just let me know b4 i regret this build. Also a ballpark on the jetting. I have a st 3 hot cam, 39mm fcr, no air box, and a ported head with bigger intake valves. Finally what kinda hp you guys putting down. I got 42 out of my 426 set up on the dyno at a local shop. hoping to be in the high 50s.

drew416ex
08-02-2009, 09:01 AM
If your piston isnt made for a stroker crank you cant run it. You would have to have it machined for valve and head clearances first which would cost more than a new piston made for a stroker crank. I got 46 hp out of my 440 stroker and there is a 502 stroker on here that got like 52hp I think.

Wheelie
08-02-2009, 09:42 AM
Check the wrist pin location on the piston, also check to make sure the piston skirts clear the crank throws. I believe Hotrods relocates the wrist pin on their stroker setup, something to be aware of.

Sounds like you've got a solid setup. Additional cooling is a must for a modded EX to live a reliable life. Look into a Spal fan, secondary oil cooler, and possibly an E85 conversion.

I think you're optimistic hoping for high 50's hp, mid-low 50's would be more realistic.

I've never had my quad on the dyno, but I figure it's making about 45hp.

odog
08-02-2009, 11:07 AM
i have the hotrod 460 crank and piston setup from what i understand with the hotrod setup u have to use there piston im not a mechanic. i do have a fst secondary oil cooler and u can trail ride with it thats all i do im running 11.1 compression if u could get 13 or 14.1 that thing should fly

randallp1
08-02-2009, 12:30 PM
No No No its a stroker piston. i bought the whole motor from the guy minus the head. he had it on alchohol for his son and the son never let the rings seat r the jetting was off and he cooked the rings and never fixed it. i bought the stroker bottom end( he said it had about 4 tanks of alchy through it) 440 jug with the heavy duty studs and the stroker 13 or 14:1 piston. I am wondering if you do anything or have any tips to keep the beast running like its is now. My 426 has always started and never not put a smile on my face. I am keeping the 426 motor as a back up if and when the time bomb blows.

droppedmazda
08-02-2009, 10:30 PM
i am running a copper headgasket on mine. it works great but you have to run some kind of sealant on it to get it to seal up good. if i were you i would look into getting a web cam instead of a hot cam. you have to run hardened rockers with it but it will give you more topend. you already have the tourque from the stroke and compression to get you out of the hole so the web cam will spread the power out throughall the rpms. this is about the setup i have and i like it alot.

randallp1
08-03-2009, 12:47 AM
where did you get the gasket from? also what kind of riding do you do? if you think i should just designate it to a drag bike let me know. I have an pretty good builder who also has a dyno to get it perfect but i just want it to be somewhat reliable. Kinda race and fart around with too ya know.

droppedmazda
08-03-2009, 02:17 AM
i got my gasket from t&t motorsports. my bike is setup for drag racing only but i would not be one bit scared to take it through the woods if it didn't have an overide tranny.