PDA

View Full Version : help with valves

randallp1
08-02-2009, 03:16 AM
hey guys lil prob.... my valve cover gasket was leaking and honda wanted too much for one so i put some of the good gasket maker on there instead. NOW the bike wont start and it blows a serious backfire if you hold the start button for ab 5-10 seconds. i know it prob made the clearance tighter but do you think it did any damage??? im afraid to tear it apart too see if i knicked a chunck out of the piston. Any hoo ive never adjusted the valves and i dont know where my manual is after so many relocations. what are the specs of the clearance is you have a manual handy. I have a stage 3 stroker hot cam with a 11:1 426 piston(if it makes a difference). Also do you think the gasket maker will hold up? i know its prob silly to adjust the valves and then put the real gasket on there.

randallp1
08-02-2009, 12:32 PM
bump

mcgrath
08-02-2009, 01:12 PM
valve clearance. intake .004 inch exhaust .005 inch (not mil big diff). Get a real gasket and try it out. It prob didn't damage the piston, if it did hit the vavles it would have prob just bent a valve. You probably just closed the clearance too much without a gasket so the valves werent seating. Put a gasket on and set the clearance and give it a try. PS. dont be so cheap now its gonna cost you more.