PDA

View Full Version : ltr wont start

kfx400rider03
08-01-2009, 04:43 PM
so it started at breezewood last week. i was riding and everytime i would go to start it it wouldnt fire up the first second i press the start button i figured o well fix it when i get home thinking it would be a spark plug or fuel filter. but its not. the injecter is fine its spraying gas i had that off and apart and cleaned it. i took the whole intake off cleaned it. every thing is working fine and its getting enough spark to run. but it wont fire. what could be the problem???

atveric132
08-01-2009, 05:18 PM
fuel regulator.....when they start going bad the bike will break up when running but sometimes they just go straight bad and the bike wont start at all. if you kno anybody with a ltr i would take there tank and put it on your bike and see if it starts before you order one but im pretty sure thats what it is

kfx400rider03
08-01-2009, 08:06 PM
k. but it runs fine whens its started. and fuel sprays out of the injecture fine when i had the injector out to see if that was the problem. and if it was the fuel regulator would it run like **** cause it ran fine when i got it started.

kfx400rider03
08-01-2009, 08:15 PM
by the way when you turn the quad over should the injector shoot gas out in a pulse or in a perfect mist. cause mine it pulsing

atveric132
08-01-2009, 08:24 PM
ltr's have a roll over switch that they wont start until you turn the key off then bac on. no upside down it will pulse but sitting upright it should be a steady flow. like i said if you can find someone that would let you use there tank you can tell if the regualtors bad or not

kfx400rider03
08-01-2009, 08:30 PM
k. but if it was the regulator wouldnt it not spray a mist out the injector??? a.d i know it not the role over switch cause the last time i flipped it was like 6 months ago. and it has ran fine sence then till last weekend.
and idk anyone else with an ltr. :ermm:

kfx400rider03
08-01-2009, 09:02 PM
so i just figured out its not my regulator or my injector all that works fine. i probaly had it turning over in all for about 2 minutes and it wouldnt fire. so we took it all back a part took the plug out and the plugs dry but the injector in pumping gas threw fine and the plug was bone dry. why would the plug still be dry?

kfx400rider03
08-01-2009, 09:39 PM
im come to think it could be valves for some reason. sence the injector is fine and it gets spark the only thing inbetween the injector and spark plug is valve so could that be the problem????

atveric132
08-01-2009, 10:59 PM
take the plug out and poor a little oil in the spark-plug hole and put it back together and see if it will start. if it does its your valves

kfx400rider03
08-01-2009, 11:50 PM
oil??? do you mean gas??? im confused lol.
and if you did mean gas we did that and it didnt start which is weird cause even if it was the valves it stilll should have started fpr a second or 2.
and it runs fine when we bump start it and it starts up when its warmed up just its a little hard to start. and its an 08 so im kinda hoping its not the valves already.

miles Machine
08-02-2009, 10:10 AM
-Oil is not going to do anything for valves...you usually put a lil oil in a cylinder after you do a compression test and its low...the oil is to differentiate if the problem is the piston/rings or the valves, there fore if you put a lil oil in the cylinder and the compression raises its your rings/piston.

-if your valves are tight pouring gas in the cylinder still wont start it...if there tight your loosing compression...my advice do a compression check to see if it is low if it is then do the oil trick, if that still dosnt bring the compression up its your valves...and its usually the intakes

let us know
Chad

kfx400rider03
08-02-2009, 10:54 AM
k.
but where would i get a compresion tester?

miles Machine
08-02-2009, 02:57 PM
napa, pep boys, autozone, even harbor freight

kfx400rider03
08-02-2009, 05:40 PM
k. thanks.
but im not sure if im gonna need it my friend is doing the valves for me tomarow he used to work at a quad/dirtbike shop. and hopefully thats the problem. he is pretty sure its that too.
ill let you guys know.

Springbok
08-05-2009, 10:47 AM
The couple of times my quad did'nt start,it was the intake valves. The other time it was the PCIII. I unplugged it and plugged the ECM directly into injector and it started. I have to set my valve every 30 hours and after the third time setting it,it does'nt last for more than 10 hours and I have to change the intake valves.So,intake valves only last me about 80 hours.

kfx400rider03
08-10-2009, 09:39 PM
it was my intake valves. quad startes fine now.
and you intake valves only lasted 80 hours? i got my quad in march of 08 and this was the first time i had them adjusted. and i atleast ride once a month w=every month some months i will ride 2 times a week. they never knocked or anything before i just got them adjusted

Springbok
08-11-2009, 08:28 AM
Yes,only about 80 hours. It is quite a bit of riding. Riding once a week for a hour or 2 will take long to reach 80 hours. Over the weekend we had a national and I spent 9 hours in the saddle doing about 500 km. Maybe it's the fuel we have in South Africa,I dont know,but the exhaust valve are still the same and never been set in 250 hours.