PDA

View Full Version : becoming a firefighter?

buck440
08-01-2009, 02:36 PM
i searched the net and it just confused the **** out of me so i thought i would ask on here since i think someone on here is one. step by step what do you do to be a part/full time paid firefighter?

08-01-2009, 08:03 PM
well im only a jr. but i beleive, you must start out as a jr. under 18, go through training for about 2 years, then you go to some academys , that s were my buddys at now

buck440
08-01-2009, 08:33 PM
i'm 19, whay exactly is a jr.? and what do you do in training that takes two years:confused:

300extreme#8
08-01-2009, 09:50 PM
here you take a test on basic knowledge once you pass that you become eligable to get accepted. once accepted you are learning stuff in a class room for about 2 months or maybe abit longer, and then you take a firefighting test. if you don't pass then you cant take the physical test. once you pass both physical and firefighting test you are assigned to a crew. the first 6 months you are on probation so only your work ethics and workability is what assures your job. Then your set. Working on becoming one myself. Sorry if I lost ya, its kinda complicated to explain.

buck440
08-02-2009, 07:34 AM
what about if i'm working or going to school. would that get in the way at all during probation?

extremeblastr
08-02-2009, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by buck440
what about if i'm working or going to school. would that get in the way at all during probation?

umm yea just a little, seeing as it will then be your JOB if you just wanted to do it while your working another job and going to school then you should become a volunteer.

bustedknuckle
08-02-2009, 08:50 AM
I started when i was 19.as a vol. then became a paid FF .im now retired with 29 yrs. service.now days its harder to get in.with all the physical needs .you need to be in great shape.watch out for announcements in news papers.with all the cut backs, there not hiring many. try with medical field EMT, or be a vol. good luck...

08-02-2009, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by buck440
i'm 19, whay exactly is a jr.? and what do you do in training that takes two years:confused: well doing like my buddy wich seems you are this is to just be a vvoleenter however u spell it, but they just teach you what to do talk trash to you make you run help out at fire calls and basicly mess with you, its all mind games dont let em get to ya