PDA

View Full Version : Air scoops on a 400ex??

11-20-2001, 11:53 AM
Well I just ordered some black maier 350X air scoops to possibly rig up on my 400ex around the small oil radiator. Has anyone else out there done this or seen anyone do it?? I seen a 400ex somewere in a magazine and don't know which one or even when,,so I know it can be done. But the one I saw had aluminum scoops not plastic but I didn't wanna spend the dough on the good ones so that's why I got the maier ones instead, and it wasn't a 250R with 400ex plastic. I don't think it will be to bad to install with cut front fenders,,,and I'd assume it would help flow air to the radiator better, and more toward the engine too. I'd like to have the pingry oil tank but I only spent $17 for this possible method of keeping the motor cooler. ,,,what's yaw's thoughts on this??

moto93
11-20-2001, 12:00 PM
Why bother? If Honda thought it needed it I'm sure they would have put 'em on!

honda400ex27
11-20-2001, 12:51 PM
I think it looks really good...i seen some MX bikes that have then on thier 400s..please post a photo Rico as soon as you get them installed...i might purchase some also if it looks phat!

11-20-2001, 12:58 PM
Well why doesn't honda ship there 400ex's with modified airboxes, or aftermarket race pipes, or decent handlebars, or etc. etc. The main reason I'm doin it is with a modified engine It's gonna run hotter than stock,,so it won't hurt it,,and for $17 to help the motor run cooler why not,,and if that motor did run 10 degres hotter from the factory maybe honda would have put them on there. Who knows,,,I'll let everyone know how it goes.

JabberJaw
11-20-2001, 01:02 PM
You mean they didn't come with all that stuff?!?!?!?

Mine came with, air conditioning, am/fm cd player, alarm system, sunroof, and chrome wheels. I was thinking about those air scoops, along with a blower.

400exRacerX
11-20-2001, 01:30 PM
Hey Rico,

I found a pretty sweet looky air scoop for the 400ex. It is made by Quadtech and is made out of carbon fiber......sharp looking eh?

400exRacerX
11-20-2001, 01:34 PM
And here is another pic of them, don't have a clue on the prices.....

trx400ex
11-20-2001, 01:56 PM
i think there 165

400exRacerX
11-20-2001, 01:58 PM
Holy cow!!! 165 bucks for two carbon fiber scoops????????? That is insane, I would never spend that much cash. But they do look really nice.

Tommy 17
11-20-2001, 01:59 PM
I don't think rico wants to pay over a 100$ for them either. rico i have seen it b4 like 2 days ago on a yellow 400ex i will look for it i can't find it right now but i will look somemore.

11-20-2001, 02:08 PM
Yeah $165 for air scoops is ludacrist,,,I'll keep my fancy $17 maier scoops,,,plus that dull black will match my dull black maier gas tank cover..:D I might even do a review on it,,if I don't drink to much beer and forget how I installed them.;)

11-20-2001, 02:23 PM
lol rico good luyck and i think beer is as equal to a human as wd-40 is to a quad..lol..,.oops i didn't just say that i'm only 16....lol ohh well ...and yea i'd love to see some pic's a coolr running enginne usually runs better and last longer... but anyhow...good luck..

tinner
11-20-2001, 02:52 PM
Aluminum scoops wouldn't be too tough to make looking at the pic of the carbon fiber ones. Maybe I will make a set and see how it turns out.Mine sure does run hotter than it used to. Jim

stocktires
11-20-2001, 04:16 PM
Rico, I dont have a 400ex but when i was lookin around on the K&K website they said like $40 for 400ex air scoops. I e-mailed them and asked was it a misprint (250r)? They said no, its actualy for a 400 and it draws more air to the oil cooler (black, oil radiator thingy under your front fenders) and to the motor cuz its air-cooled! I always wanted a water cooled 400 cuz i really dont like air-cooled motors. E-mail em and send your maier's back!

my old name was 1986trx250r

fourtrax400ex
11-20-2001, 04:33 PM
its a really good idea Rico, tell us if it works, i also have maybe another idea, some of you are probably seen some 250r with these two small hole in the bottom of the front hood plastic, is a hood like this will fit on a 400ex without lost the light??? i dont check on my 400 but i think the hole were practically in front of the oil cooler, it's surely helps to keep it colder no???

stocktires
11-20-2001, 09:17 PM
No, an R hood wouldnt fit and look decent on a 400 with the lights! But Rico do you really use your lights alot? I mainly see them as added weight cuz i ride mostly MX with some ocasional day time trails, sand, and fields at my old house.

NVR2L8
11-21-2001, 12:12 AM
Rico,

In my opinion, I really don't think air scoops are going to help reduce the engine operating temp a whole lot, especially after upgrading the motor. If I remember correctly I believe you're going the 416 route, and I can tell you from experience, after modding my engine to a 416 I can tell it now runs quite a bit hotter. I didn't do any real scientific before and after measurements, but seat of the pants comparison tells me that my engine now runs about 15-20 degrees hotter. I haven't had any heat related problems when riding hard on trails though...as long as I keep air moving over the head...but I really notice it running hot when at the dunes. I suppose it runs hotter at the dunes due to the fact that you end up revving the motor a lot more, plus that fact that riding in sand puts more of a load on the engine. Another side effect of running the larger bore with a high comp piston, is that when getting on the gas and revving it hard the motor will get hot much more quickly when compared to stock. Anyway, on to the point I want to make.

If you're looking to reduce temps after modding the engine, in my opinion there are only two options. Since the oil does the majority of the cooling on the 400EX, one route is to upgrade to the larger Pingry oil tank, and the other is to replace the stock oil cooler with one that is larger and has more vanes. For now I run the stock tank and cooler and seem to be okay, but for anyone looking to bore the motor and/or run a higher compression piston, from my experience I believe a larger oil tank should be included as part of the upgrade package. I guess I look at it as insurance when it comes to the money I've put into the motor, as well as to maintain Honda reliability. For what it's worth, a Pingry tank is next on my list of goodies.

FYI...a guy on the Yahoo 400EX group was working on a prototype oil cooler that would be a bolt-in replacement for the stock unit, but the last I heard he was still working on it. Guess I should email him and see where he's at with it.

tinner
11-21-2001, 08:21 PM
NVR2L8, I understand where you are coming from.But it seems that every little bit counts on these things.The oil tank is pricey but a good investment. Today I grabbed some Aluminum from my shop and I'm going to "lay out" the scoops and see how they turn out. I will bend them up on Monday. If anyone is interested I can post a pic once they are done. Sure this is no oil tank, but for free it should help a little.Jim

Juggalo
11-21-2001, 09:36 PM
rico your a freakin genious. i have been toying with this idea for a while wondering if i should try it..i think i will now.. hey by the way do u have aol instant messanger by chance? you seem like some1 cool to talk to bout quads and racin and other neet stuff. i'm shaggs2dope2000 on AIM any1 can IM me anytime..

oh yeah one more thing..if you want your EX to look the coolest and have a scoop get this set up. this is probably the coolest 400EX i have ever seen...

stocktires
11-21-2001, 09:39 PM
Yea, me 2, thats an awesome 400, I've had it for my background for about a week or so now.

400exRacerX
11-21-2001, 10:14 PM
Well last night when I was at the dealer I asked the guy at the counter about this setup and he looked at me like I was a moron. He even had the nerve to ask "do you even own a 400ex?" Ohhhhhh man did that piss me off, I was ready to get in a dispute but let it be. Then I ran out to the car and got a pic of my 400 and proved to him I had one and knew what I was talking about it and he was all studdering and I just laughed. So I told him I wanted to order them and he said it wouldn't work. Well after that I talked to the manager and I ended up getting a discount on them, I only paided 8 bucks for maier louvers.

stocktires
11-21-2001, 10:19 PM
i think they would look kinda ugly, i'd get the k&k 400ex scoops

400exRacerX
11-21-2001, 10:22 PM
I'm not going to spend a fortune on louvers, 8 bucks is one hell of a deal for plastic louvers. Nothing some stickers could cover up and its not really for the looks its for cooling the motor better.

Tommy 17
11-22-2001, 03:19 PM
heres metal ones mayb these are those k&k ones...

11-22-2001, 07:18 PM
hey where you guysd get the pic of that yeller fo hun? that thing is TIGHT! i think that the one yellow one on page...11 i tink of the rides section...the 416 wit the black on under it...yeah,,, that thing is frickn bad.

those scoops are tight lookin...i think i might get some when i get started on my motor work.later

keeo it real:devil

Tommy 17
11-22-2001, 08:01 PM
is it me or do the bars look really bend on that yellow 400.

stocktires
11-22-2001, 08:04 PM
maybe, but i ride mine almost that low. Its easy when sittin down

11-22-2001, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Juggalo
rico your a freakin genious. i have been toying with this idea for a while wondering if i should try it..i think i will now.. hey by the way do u have aol instant messanger by chance? you seem like some1 cool to talk to bout quads and racin and other neet stuff. i'm shaggs2dope2000 on AIM any1 can IM me anytime..

oh yeah one more thing..if you want your EX to look the coolest and have a scoop get this set up. this is probably the coolest 400EX i have ever seen...

Well where is the dadgumed muffler on that 400EX? And I like how he runs that stock headpipe on a tricked out bike.

stocktires
11-22-2001, 10:25 PM
yee haw,
If you noticed that 400ex has a TC sticker on it meaning it must have a TC Motor. Therefore it must have a TC muffler! Have you ever seen one? there lke 5 inches long! thats why you dont see it. And TC doesnt have a header so thats why the guy doesnt have one and he's useing a stocker! The stocker looks good to me and works great!

11-22-2001, 10:34 PM
Dude Dude Dude. I know about the TC pipe and I also know you got to cut the stock pipe. That one hasn't been cut down any. Now has it?

stocktires
11-22-2001, 10:37 PM
i dunno it looks like it might have been but you really cant tell, the guy wouldnt take a pic without a muffer then post it everywhere on the web but maybe he did

Clay
11-22-2001, 11:03 PM
Im with Yeehaw. I know about TC 400 pipes. there is no silencer attached. If you look on the end of the head pipe(between rear fender and frame) There is no silencer on there. Bad quad though. That is strange on that silencer though.

Clay
11-22-2001, 11:04 PM
Wow, wonder if i coulda used though a couple more times on that last post.:huh

Chef
11-22-2001, 11:35 PM
yea, im sure its a TC pipe, they are really short, and you wouldnt be able to see them from that angle with the rear plastic on

11-23-2001, 07:19 AM
I'm still tryin to find the 400ex scoops on the k&k webpage,, a little help guys..:huh

stocktires
11-23-2001, 07:49 AM
Go to the site. http://www.kandkatv.com/welcome%20new.htm click on "quads" then look at the ct440ex. Look down that list and it says "CT RADIATOR SHROUDS" so i guess CT sells em too. But id buy em from k&k cuz i really dont like CT.

11-23-2001, 08:05 AM
Ok,,thanks..

11-24-2001, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by HOTT440EX
yea, im sure its a TC pipe, they are really short, and you wouldnt be able to see them from that angle with the rear plastic on

For the last time, there couldn't be a pipe on that thing!

And Rico, love the new sig.:devil

tinner
11-24-2001, 07:22 PM
Hey Rico, Here are some rough pics of what I can make (these are tin,not aluminum yet).

tinner
11-24-2001, 07:27 PM
Here's one more! Notice the scoop is not plumb...I need to get the brackets on bottom to square it up. Btw, I still have to purchase my shocks in case anyone noticed the different a-arms I havent been able to ride it since I piled it up in mid August. It took a while to get the new frame and misc. parts.

TrX465
11-25-2001, 05:57 PM
man i want those carbon fiber ones who do i have to call??

11-26-2001, 07:35 AM
Tinner they look pretty dang good,,,you just let me know there good buddy when there finished.

And yeah the white frame is sweet...;)

Tommy 17
11-26-2001, 11:07 AM
pretty sweet tinner i like that frame white...

tinner
11-26-2001, 03:38 PM
Thanks guys for the compliments on the color.I've been dying to send my full pic in to the rides section,but I was hoping to get my new shocks first. I can't really even ride it yet and don't want to dial in my front end with the old shocks cuz I don't want to do it twice.:D

Tommy 17
11-26-2001, 04:17 PM
tinner just post it on the site i wanna see that quad i bet it looks sweet...

12-10-2001, 02:30 PM
I have air scoops on mine,a friend built em for me.
http://www.boomspeed.com/kbperf/MVC-395S.JPG
http://www.boomspeed.com/kbperf/MVC-394S.JPG
http://www.boomspeed.com/kbperf/MVC-396S.JPG

AlaskaSpeed
12-10-2001, 07:21 PM
Not sure if you guys already had a pic of aluminum air scoops on the 400EX or not, but a guy in an email group I subscribe to has them...here is a pic of one of the nicest 400EX's you'll find....JIM

Mitch400EX
12-10-2001, 09:34 PM
If you guys just remove the headlights, you have an instant "air scoop" for the oil cooler. The oil cooler is located right behind the headlights. also, the black thing that surrounds the headlights will act as a "scoop" and direct air right to the oil cooler. Also, the intake for the air box ends before the headlights, removing the headlights would increase airflow to that too.