PDA

View Full Version : just picked up my first 450r!

Honda4life05
07-31-2009, 01:57 PM
can somebody give me a list of the maintence that needs to be done. i've had my 300ex for awhile so i should know how to do most of everything already. it's an '04 btw. got it for 3 gran with a set of spare tires and a new hood.

07-31-2009, 02:49 PM
pics? id change the oil filter and oil. (rotella blue bottle,honda oil, goden spectro,ect ect.) check tire pressure. oil the chain. check for loose bolts, missing bolts and what not. check the valves.. and then ride the crap outta it. :macho

sparks 450
07-31-2009, 09:39 PM
stay on top of the oil changes and clean the airfilter often. the engine side will use some oil so check oil level before every ride. It is easy just make sure you keep the oil level at the top mark. do that and it will run GREAT for a long time. MAKE SURE YOU USE THE CORRECT OIL AS STATED IN OWNERS MAN. CHECK VALVES.

fastredrider44
08-03-2009, 10:12 AM
My engine doesn't use oil... Anyway, oil changes and a clean airfilter at all times are crucial on a 450. 300EXs and 400EXs are much tougher as far as when maintenance is neglected.

sparks 450
08-03-2009, 04:08 PM
read your owners book it will tell that they do use some oil because of high rpms they run at. thats the reason they tell you to check oil before every ride. Be careful and keep a close eye on it.

Honda4life05
08-03-2009, 09:49 PM
okay sounds good thanx guys. any tips on cleaning the stock air filter? and has anyone used FLUIDZ air filter oil?

08-03-2009, 10:00 PM
soak it in gas the squezz it out. then wash it with soap let it dry. and i use motor oil then squezz it out.

Jersey450R
08-04-2009, 06:52 AM
just beware ur crank WILL go one day

Honda4life05
08-04-2009, 10:46 AM
yeah i've had some people tellin me about that already, the 04' an 05' cranks. i'm not too worried about it though.

fastredrider44
08-04-2009, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Honda4life05
yeah i've had some people tellin me about that already, the 04' an 05' cranks. i'm not too worried about it though.

If your bike has been ridden much, there's a good possibilty that the crank has been replaced already. And for airfilter oil, I prefer FAB1 when its not dusty, and soak it in FFT (both by maxima oils) and then squeeze the extra out.

Black Sheep
08-04-2009, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by honda4life818
soak it in gas the squezz it out. then wash it with soap let it dry. and i use motor oil then squezz it out.

I wouldn't soak the air filter in gas. Gas will eat the glue that's holds the filter together and cause separation.

Instead use kerosene or a parts washing fluid to breakdown the air filter oil, then wash the filter in warm soapy water with "blue" dawn dish soap.

motor oil is too thin to be an effective air filter oil. Stick to a oil specified for air filters.

when washing and oiling your filter do not wring it out as this can tear the foam...instead squeeze it out.

Also when re-oiling i like to use latex glove as air filter oil is very messy and sticky.

Scro
08-04-2009, 01:34 PM
I know most people don't go this far, but I change my motor every ride and the trans oil every other ride. I use Amsoil for motor, and Honda red bottle for trans.

Honda4life05
08-04-2009, 04:01 PM
i'll most likely change it after every race. i know the engine side holds less than a quart, but how much does the tranny side use? has anyone had either oil drain bolts strip out due to changing it so much?

08-04-2009, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Black Sheep
I wouldn't soak the air filter in gas. Gas will eat the glue that's holds the filter together and cause separation.

Instead use kerosene or a parts washing fluid to breakdown the air filter oil, then wash the filter in warm soapy water with "blue" dawn dish soap.

motor oil is too thin to be an effective air filter oil. Stick to a oil specified for air filters.

when washing and oiling your filter do not wring it out as this can tear the foam...instead squeeze it out.

Also when re-oiling i like to use latex glove as air filter oil is very messy and sticky.

strange..ive been cleaning mine for like 6 years now with gas and have NEVER had one "come apart". if motor oil is to "thin" to be "affective" on a air filter. then why when i clean mine is there dirt and dust and what not on it. If it wasent "affective" i would not see dirt on it. :o

Black Sheep
08-04-2009, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by honda4life818
strange..ive been cleaning mine for like 6 years now with gas and have NEVER had one "come apart". if motor oil is to "thin" to be "affective" on a air filter. then why when i clean mine is there dirt and dust and what not on it. If it wasent "affective" i would not see dirt on it. :o

I've been doing this sport for 30 years, most of them as a professional mechanic, so I'm not going to argue with you.

Gas will not "instantly" destroy them, But over time it will deteriorate the glue and break down the molecular structure of the foam and make it brittle. Usually the naked eye will not even detect it unless you are looking close up at the seams or can somehow see inside were the layers are glued together.

As far as motor oil for oiling, yes you may capture some dirt and see it on your filter but, can you see the dirt it allows to pass through? I have rebuilt many "motor oil" filtered motors and they are always filthy and dirt damaged inside. There is a reason why most air filter oils are stickier then flypaper and the reason i use latex gloves. Motor oil being thin can only stop so much and once the outer "coating" is covered in dust/dirt it no longer has any protection to offer.

But, by all means if it works for you...go for it...it's your motor.

The author of this thread asked for the "BEST" way to do it...NoT the cheapest

sunco
08-06-2009, 07:18 PM
got an 07 w/ HRC kit, curtis pipe nerfs, pro taper & K&N $3500 cash - only ridden like 10 times - sweet deal :D

Tommy Warren
08-07-2009, 12:38 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Scro
[B]I know most people don't go this far, but I change my motor every ride and the trans oil every other ride.

That sounds extremely time consuming and expensive!! :p :devil:what are you doing with all the old motors?:blah: