PDA

View Full Version : lt80 wont start

mbakes11
07-30-2009, 09:22 PM
I have a 2001 lt80 that won't start! The push start won't work so I replaced the relay to see if that was the problem but it didn't help. So I tried to jump start it by connecting the 2 red wires that connect to the relay. It would try to crank but not turn over. So I hooked it up to a battery charger and let it sit for awhile and then tried it again. This time it wouldn't even try to crank! The reset button didn't pop and I can't figure it out. I'm guessing my plug isn't sparking but can't figure out why it won't try to crank anymore. I could use some major help! Thanks in advance.

929rog
07-31-2009, 08:51 AM
hmm. Mine was the starter. It would barely turn the motor over and kill the battery in no time. I took the starter apart and it was full of crap. I cleaned it but did not try it as I had already bought a new one. Now the thing fires immeadiately.

mbakes11
07-31-2009, 02:04 PM
By connecting the 2 red wires by the relay trying to hot wire it, would this kill my starter?

929rog
07-31-2009, 02:26 PM
Not sure.. Someone will chime in.

mbakes11
07-31-2009, 02:42 PM
Also I took the oil pump out and use premix, and I took the cap off the carb where the oil goes to it and there is nothing that comes oput of that hole. Does that mean that the carb needs to be cleaned? Should there be gas coming out of the carb?

929rog
07-31-2009, 04:31 PM
no, plug the hole

LT80
07-31-2009, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by mbakes11
By connecting the 2 red wires by the relay trying to hot wire it, would this kill my starter?

I'd say no.
Try a 12 volt direct jump to the starter.
Stand the machine on end to access it.

mbakes11
07-31-2009, 04:52 PM
So connect the batery directly to the starter? Or can I use a battery charger? And what do I connect them to? Also how many fusus are there on this 4wheeler?

LT80
08-01-2009, 07:28 AM
You use a 12 volt supply..ie: charger/jumper cables.
You touch the 12 volts supply to where the wire attaches to the starter.
Don't know about fuses.

mbakes11
08-01-2009, 02:02 PM
When I lift the 4wheeler up on to the back end where are the wires? I'm not really positive where the starter is. Also if it is bad how do I get it out?

929rog
08-02-2009, 04:01 PM
Try what was said first. The starter is connected by two allen bolts on the belt gaurd case near the lower front of the motor. You will see it.

LT80
08-03-2009, 10:49 AM
I'll ad to rogs reply:: It's under the carb.
FYI: to get the starter out (it's a real tight fit) you must take the carb off.

mbakes11
08-03-2009, 02:27 PM
I got the starter off without taking the carb out. I connected jumper cables to the starter and one to the frame and nothing happened. So I'm guessing the starter is bad. Are the ones on ebay that are around $50 good starters?

LT80
08-03-2009, 05:01 PM
ummmmm the way you worded it, you took the starter off then checked it by jumping..
Surely you checked it before unbolting it.:confused:

929rog
08-03-2009, 07:10 PM
like LT said. I had a problem with mine and it would not work at all. Well the bolts were not tight to the case. Tightened them up amd it worked. The ebay starters are good. I bought one from a place in Tennessee I think that warantees them for a year. By the way, got my 03 LT running tonight after only an hours work. She sat for along time and is in great shape. Cleaned the carb, new battery, BAM. Rode it until it got dark, good thing for the headlight. $400 total into it, can't beat it. I'm going to get at least 1 more. We had a blast racing my two tonight. 87 a little bit faster with the clutch mods and 13 tooth front sprocket. I did not realize the difference the Polaris 90 front shocks made on the 87 vs the stock 03. wow, so much better. Anyway I ramble on tighten the starter to the case then test it.

mbakes11
08-03-2009, 07:36 PM
Could the starter solenoid be bad? When I try to jump it I don't get anything from the starter nor do I hear a clicking noise.

AUSSIE80
08-04-2009, 03:35 AM
mate do what LT80 said and hook up battery to starter as a battery charger will not supply enough amps to start it, unless it is big, try giving starter a fair hit while jumping it as it may have a crook bearing and be poleing - armature rubs on pole shoes = no spin, taping it can dislodge and centre armature where with power supplied will spin over, this will only help find fault not fix starter. Make sure when applying power to starter that you are bypassing all switches, e.g key,brake pedal etc or no power will get to starter. If you have a multimetre check batt voltage then leave negative lead on neg batt terminal and put pos on pos at starter, crank it you should have minimal voltage drop if volt readings are not close check power before and after all switches.
hope this is not too basic and causing tiredness

mbakes11
08-04-2009, 10:00 PM
Well I took my starter apart and cleaned it. After I put it back together I put it back in and the 4wheeler started up on the first try! But after starting it about 10 times or so......I'm back to the same place with no cranking! So I have the starter out again and I will try again tomorrow. Also what is the easiest way to tighten the front clutch fully? I put it on but it rattled its way off shortly after running it.

LT80
08-05-2009, 07:19 AM
what is the easiest way to tighten the front clutch fully?

You make sure the keyway is aligned , Install the bushing/spacer, then the fixxed face. You then put the spring washer on correct and use a impact wrench to tighten.

You'll have to pay attention to the roller plate. Sometimes the slot for the keyway gets messed up when it spins on the crankshaft.

mbakes11
08-05-2009, 09:06 PM
ok....so I got my 4wheeler started today and it seems to be running pretty good until it gets ready to shift....at that point it starts to make some noises(pretty clanky) until it shifts and then it seems to run good again. Could this possibly be the rollers in the clutch?

LT80
08-06-2009, 08:24 AM
Souldn't be rollers unless they fell out of place during installation.
You made double sure the keyway was aligned with the roller plate? Sounds like it may be spinning.

mbakes11
08-06-2009, 10:56 AM
You made double sure the keyway was aligned with the roller plate? Sounds like it may be spinning.

I'm not really sure if I'm following you? I'm not positive what you mean by the keyway being aligned with the roller plate? Are you talking about the front clutch or the back clutch? It only seems to make the loud noise right before it shifts then it runs and sounds smooth again. If you could describe it to me a little more in depth I think I could follow you.

LT80
08-06-2009, 02:32 PM
We'll start from scratch. I'll explain the clutch maintenence/installation.

You take the cover off the variator (phillips head screws~ replace with hex head if possible) Then romove the plate that covers the rollers and the rollers. Spin each roller in your finger to see if there are any flat spots on the roller. A flat spot means a new roller.
Clean all parts and inspect for gouges/uneven ramps/damage.
Put a dab (about what a q-tip will hold) of high temp grease on each roller and put them in the variator. The grease helps hold the roller in place durring installation.

You then put the roller plate on top of the rollers. In the hole on that plate, you will notice a small square notch.
Place the variator cover on and install the hex head bolts.
Grab the complete variator like your grabbing a donut by the hole. This allows you to hold the roller plate onto the rollers. Slide the variator down on the crankshaft (again to keep the plate in contact) On the crankshaft there is a key that ever so slightly sticks out from the starter gear. THIS is the keyway/notch that MUST be aligned properly (if keyway notch is bad you need a new roller plate). Install the bushing/spacer, belt,and the big washer (unless this a 87/88 model). Then the outer fixxed face.The washer is next and is a spring washer. Impact the nut on.

*note* if the roller plate looses contact with the rollers durring istallation, you must remove the plate and make sure the rollers didn't flip sideways.*

Also, sometimes the key is messed up a lil on the end. I remove the starter gear and turn the key around.

Rear clutch:: inspect the bearings and lightly scuff the contact pads to break the glaze.

Nothing to it.:eek2: :devil:

mbakes11
08-06-2009, 02:56 PM
After reading your reply I understand and I have already installed everything in the correct way....so what else could it be? Could there be a lack of oil in the gearbox causing this noise?