PDA

View Full Version : Found my problem, bad news

la400ex
01-08-2003, 06:01 PM
Well, I took my just rebuilt 416 down because it was smoking. I f-ed up. It was my first time doing this. I thought I checked to make sure that the oil expander ring didnt overlap but I guess when I was putting the cylinder on, i let it over lap. It scraped up my cylinder. Not real bad. You can feel it with your finger nail. I'm not going to bore it again. Im sure that I need to. Im going to get it looked it. I dont want to go to a 426. Where can I get a new sleeve and how much are they. I will probably resleeve it and bore it back to 416 and use the same piston. Looks like its gonna be down for a while. Im just gonna buy the parts little by little then put it back together. Im sure gonna learn from this mistake. Thanks, Ant.

Steven
01-08-2003, 06:18 PM
check out advancedsleeve.com

look like perhaps the rings weren't gaped right

good luck with the fix

jb400exxx
01-08-2003, 06:19 PM
can't you just hone it?

nakomis0
01-08-2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by jb400exxx
can't you just hone it?

Probably.

Sparks425Ex
01-08-2003, 06:36 PM
You can prolly just hone it

beerock
01-08-2003, 06:48 PM
if you can feel the scrape with your nails a hone job aint gonna do much.
and if you do get it out after honing the **** out of it the bore will be out of spec.

your in a predicament....

how much is a new sleeve?

how much is a new piston?

these are things to consider.

why not go to 426?

resleeving and going to the same bore is money that could have been spent towards a larger bore.It is your preference though.

depending on how much the new sleeve would cost.....
if its half that of a piston, it might be worth it to go bigger.

im not forcing my opinion on ya just giving you some suggestions depending on the price of the sleeve..

la400ex
01-08-2003, 07:45 PM
I have heard a lot about the 426 running too hot because the sleeve is so thin. I dont know what would be cheaper in the long run. If I bore to 426, the next rebuild, i would need a sleeve anyway. Im gonna think about it for a while (dont have a choice, im broke). I new piston and bore would cost around $180. I dont know how much a sleeve costs. I looked at advancedsleeve.com but they dont have prices listed. I dont know what to do. I seriously doubt honing it would do any good. Im gonna let somebody look at it though. Thanks, Anthony

250rmike
01-08-2003, 08:10 PM
just go with the 426 it shouldnt overheat. i have only heard of the 440's overheating. the bore and piston should cost about as much as a sleeve. ull also get more power from the 426. plus u shouldnt have to rebuild it any time soon since its a 4 stroke unless ur like my friend and can destroy anything

01-08-2003, 08:53 PM
have the cylinder honed. most small scrapes aren't bad as long as the aren't deep. make sure you gap the rings. and put the on with the letter on them up.if you are unsure of what you are doing ask someone or look it up. by the looks of the cylinder it shouldn't hurt anything. REMEMBER everyone makes mistakes. thats how we learn to stop messing up;)

P.S 426's are time bombs waiting to happen

OutlawEX
01-08-2003, 08:56 PM
It dont look to healthy my man,good luck:square

01-08-2003, 08:58 PM
it dosen't look like a scrape. it looks more like a scuff

01-09-2003, 12:01 AM
Just a thought but if your seriously short on $$$ have some one hone it out good and install the 416 piston with some new rings and put it all back together. It deff wont be right and you will have "mickey moused" engine but it should keep you running till you save up the cash to do it right.

But I would seriously suggest you get the cash and do it right, cause the above set up will have way too much clearence on the piston to sleeve and you can only run the rings so big to compensate and that wont work for very long and you will most likely end up with lots of blow by and comp loss etc. but a lot of this depends on how deep the scuffs are.

Maybe let your local shop that did your orig bore take a look at it so you know how bad the damage really is, and go from there.

One last thing is that I wouldnt be afraid of the larger bores and most of the things you hear bad about them are more related to set up, maint and jetting than the mechanical issues of the motor.

JMO

Predator36
01-09-2003, 04:43 AM
This may start the flames from the shops but here goes for your best priced repair. All the shops that do the 440 kits have lots of spare stock sleeves laying around. Find a shop that is feeling generous and they will give you and install the sleeve at ne charge. It takes 2 minutes of their time and the sleeve would get thrown away if they dont give it to you. You will then need to pay up to $50.00 to have the new sleeve bore to fit your piston. Call around till you find a shop that will do this for you.

YZROOSTINYA
01-09-2003, 07:38 AM
try a place called Kustom Kraft, they did my yz cylinder a few years back. piston, rings, bore and new cylinder for 240 i think, with shipping, took em like a week or two. awesome servive and great quality, it even had like a 6 month warrenty i think

UglyMotha™
01-09-2003, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by MX#132
P.S 426's are time bombs waiting to happen

why do you say this, i'm the kinda of person that likes hearing facts with my statements so explain away

la400ex
01-09-2003, 01:24 PM
I called advanced sleeve. The sleeve is 40 bucks. It would be 40, the price to have it resleeved, 40 for the bore, 20 for the rings and the price of a gasket kit. I also need valve seats and an intake boot. I guess thats around 150-200 not counting the valve seats and intake boot. Other option is to go to 426, that would be about the same price. 140 for the piston rings and gaskets then 40 for the bore. I think im just going to go for the sleeve. Predator36, the only shop that I have around here would never give me anything. Thats a good idea though and I wish i could use it. I need to find a place that knows about gapping rings. Im going to make sure everything is right this time. Thanks for all the advice, Ant.