PDA

View Full Version : z400 fan not coming on

parker88
07-30-2009, 09:44 AM
Okay I just got my first z400 and the fan wont come on...It hasnt overheated yet but it does get pretty hot after riding for a few minutes...any ideas on what to look at?

also my clutch lever is a little stiff...would a new clutch cable help?

nighthawk99
07-30-2009, 10:25 AM
I think the engine will quit if anything, then you know the fan dosn't work. It takes alot for mine to come on to be honest, go ride a tight track for 5 or 10 minutes straight hard , it should come on then. You can adjust the clutch lever. Maybe purchase a manual on Ebay and read into that. You can buy a PDF file for 1$ I think.

350ex
07-30-2009, 10:26 AM
Have you checked to see if there is any current going to the fan? After a few minutes of sitting there idling it should kisck in. Ride it for 5 minutes, then let it idle for a little bit then check for current. It will only show current if it is trying to run the fan. Usually if you are riding it will not kick on unless you are going slow. The airflow will cool the radiater sufficiently. If there is no current, you either have a bad solenoid or a bad temp sensor. If there is and the fan is still not running, you have a bad fan or a problem with your wiring.

parker88
07-30-2009, 11:19 AM
allright thanks guys...Ive got one more question...lol
My z has a whitebrothers slip on pipe on it and i was wondering if it needs to be rejetted and also how can I tell if it has allready been rejetted by the previous owner...What sprockets could I switch to too get some more low end power? Do i need to rejett for that too?

knoxville9
07-30-2009, 01:45 PM
Well if you start your quad and allow it to idle the fan should not kick on for 14 minutes. If it kicks on sooner somethings wrong, mine would kick on constantly and I took out my thermostat and still nothing and I was running car anti-freeze and that was my problem it wasn't good enough for my atv so after running more expensive atv antifreeze it ran cool also if your atv is popping and spuddering when you ride it, it may be running lean which is bad for your motor and will make it run very hot. As for the sprockets a 13 tooth front will give you more low end and you do not have to re jet. Any other questions just ask

350ex
07-30-2009, 05:55 PM
Are you saying you don't need a re-jet for the sprocket or the muffler? I would recomend re-jetting for the muffler.

knoxville9
07-31-2009, 06:17 AM
yea re jet for the muffler not sprockets, sprockets have nothing to do with how your atv runs besides is speed and torque

parker88
07-31-2009, 09:56 AM
allright but i didnt put the pipe on and i dont know if it has been jetted yet so what do i need to do too see if it has been jetted or not?

thanx guys

knoxville9
07-31-2009, 07:44 PM
Well if your atv has a stock filter and pipe on it at the moment I dont see why someone would re jet so I wouldnt think they didnt

parker88
07-31-2009, 08:13 PM
ok...im gonna take a look at the fan this weekend to see what i can come up with...

thanx alot guys ill keep ya posted

ifixtheyride
07-31-2009, 09:40 PM
Knoxville9,
I'd like to know who told you about the diff between auto and atv antifreeze and what it is that is diff. Ethylene glycol itself is not as good as water for removing heat but you need the glycol for freezing conditions. There may be aditives because of aluminum radiator or the magnesium cover in ATV mix.
The fan circuit is quit simple there are 2 temperature switches mounted in the radiator one is you idiot light to tell you its getting hot and comes on at lower temp the other starts the fan. Just jump the fan one and see if it comes on if not check for voltage you may have blown fuse.

knoxville9
08-01-2009, 06:12 AM
No body told me that about anti-freeze I ran car antifreeze for 6 months and my kfx ran hot as heck just idling. I changed to good atv anti-freeze and just idling it was so much cooler

parker88
08-03-2009, 02:56 PM
Oh yeah on the sprocket...if i go to a 13 tooth front should i change the rear too?

parker88
08-04-2009, 07:23 AM
anybody know im bout to order my sprockets today...

infamous
08-04-2009, 10:22 AM
No you don't need to change the rear.
Either one or the other.

parker88
09-28-2009, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by ifixtheyride
Knoxville9,
I'd like to know who told you about the diff between auto and atv antifreeze and what it is that is diff. Ethylene glycol itself is not as good as water for removing heat but you need the glycol for freezing conditions. There may be aditives because of aluminum radiator or the magnesium cover in ATV mix.
The fan circuit is quit simple there are 2 temperature switches mounted in the radiator one is you idiot light to tell you its getting hot and comes on at lower temp the other starts the fan. Just jump the fan one and see if it comes on if not check for voltage you may have blown fuse.

what do you mean by "jump the fan one"?

parker88
09-30-2009, 05:50 AM
does anybody know what he means by "jump the fan one"?

350ex
09-30-2009, 02:39 PM
They mean wire a positive current directly to the fan positive lead

parker88
09-30-2009, 04:25 PM
Ok I wired the fan straigt to the battery bypassing the thermo switch and it works...will this be ok wired straight to the battery?

parker88
09-30-2009, 06:13 PM
It just hit me that with the fan wired straight to the battery it will be running even with the key turned off...is there a wire i can splice into where it will only come on when the key is turned?

paperboy
10-01-2009, 03:35 AM
you're not supposed to keep the fan wired to the battery. that is just to check to see it the fan works, now you know that the fan is not your problem.

parker88
10-01-2009, 05:40 AM
I thought about just keepin it wired straight to the battery and having it on all the time...when the key is turned. So how could I do that or should i just replace the switch or something?

350ex
10-01-2009, 01:23 PM
Go to the dealership and ask for the temp sensor switch that turns on the fan. It is either that or the switch is not getting power. If you can track down the switch and it is getting power then your switch is bad.

ifixtheyride
10-01-2009, 01:56 PM
Sorry I have not been on in awhile what I meant by jumping the fan one is it is a normally open switch that when the water heats to a certain temp it closes the switch completing the path for the fan to get voltage. I wanted you to place a wire across the switch, the 2 leads and the fan should come on sounds like you allready know the fan works by now.