PDA

View Full Version : Another race down.....

craigmacphee
07-30-2009, 07:23 AM
Just an update on some of the "positives" of my 09 DS450x MX. When I bought this quad, and committed to racing this year at the ripe young age of 36, my one goal of the year was to race at our local fair. Kinda redneck I know, but I have went to the races here every year for the last 8 years or so and I always said I was going to do it one day. Well, I finally did it.

We loaded our race trailer with my Can-Am, my 6yr old sons KTM 50, my 12 year old nephews KX85, and my 13 yr old nephews KTM 250sx-f. ( I tell ya, we are hooked!) My 4yr old decided he just wanted to root us on. Anyway, we all signed up to race and had a blast.

My son started out with a (2) firsts to land a first overall. He was funny and a ham all in one. He rode past the grandstand waiving like he was a pro. He got a standing ovation. Pumped as a dad I tell ya.

My 12yr old nephew had a 3rd and a 5th, for a 5th overall. He had a few wipeouts but never gave up.

My 13 yr old nephew was the youngest at the races on a 250. He ended up with a 2nd , a 10th for a 5th overall. I was sooooo bummed for him but proud at the same time. He was extremely competitive, and had the skills to win but a wipe out in the first corner and a bike that would not re-start caused him to be a lap down when he got rolling again. He was a definite hit with the other racers.

And me, being the only one on a Can-Am at the races again, did my part in promoting the quad and bringing positive attention to Can-Am and landed a 1st and a 1st. I was able to pull off 2 holeshots against some very fast YFZ's and LTR's.

We are all going to race again on Sunday at our local track. It's stage 5 of their 8 race series. I'll keep ya posted on how the DS stacks up.

TNT
07-30-2009, 07:46 AM
Sounds like some good times and memories with your boys Craig, thats awesome! :D

I take it the fair was a flat track, thats good experience helps throttle control and cornering. Soon you have to committ to some Hoosier's or American tires and a sway bar for your DS oh and a big bore kit(we got em if interested).

:D

craigmacphee
07-30-2009, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the comments. We had a blast. As far as the track, it was built as a small supercross track. Not a flat track. It was designed with deep doubles and steep tabletops so you could not get any super speeds except for the grand stand straightaway.

And...did you say "Big Bore?" Now yer talking! I'm always looking for more power. :)

HOBS DS450
07-30-2009, 08:22 AM
Sounds like you had a good time. Congrats on the 1/1, keep having fun!!!!!

Blizzard24
07-30-2009, 08:51 AM
Awesome job to you and your family. My son is 2 and I cant wait to get him going. The Powerwheels ATV just doesnt cut it yet. lol

grannysleeper
07-30-2009, 01:05 PM
So did all of your clutch/leak problems get taken care of? Congrats on the win, sounds like your attitude towards the Can-Am is changing for the better...

craigmacphee
07-30-2009, 07:38 PM
No, they did not get worked out yet. Getting close though. The clutch cover came in but they did not send the seals and gaskets with it. My attitude is just going to be...run it till it blows. I am not going to sit at home wishing I was racing. I've been riding it like I stole it! I keep doing the maintenance, and keep it in the best condition I can. I've been representing at the races each week the best I can. And yes.....my family and I are hooked!!!