PDA

View Full Version : 2001 400ex clutch?

mdt75crazy
07-30-2009, 02:30 AM
2001 honda 400ex. this is my first quad and just got it 2 weeks ago.this one still had factory tires on it and looks as if it has been barely ridden. has the 440 kit on it. let my friend ride a short distance down the road and he said when he went to turn around and shift gears nothing happened, like it was in neutral. i could smell the clutch as soon as i walked up to it. the cable is fine and i can here it shift into gears but acts like its in neutral. dont know how these things act when the clutch is out... and or if they can go out that fast. never had a prob with it untill this. he knows how to ride and i could hear him baby it all the way so i know it wasn't because of abusive treatment. any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

rooster300ex
07-30-2009, 12:18 PM
Well if the quad goes into gear and when u put it in gear the quad won't move or you have to rock it back and fourth to get it to goto a higher gear then just buy a new clutch kit and install it. Its easy. I suggest a manual or bring it to a quad shop.

John451
07-30-2009, 07:32 PM
I had the same problem on my old 300ex. The countershsaft was stripped though and someone welded the sprocket on then the weld broke. Then i had it welded back on and then it lasted a while then the sprocket snapped in half so i had it welded on like 2 or 3 more times after that. yours sounds like the clutch though.

mdt75crazy
07-30-2009, 11:14 PM
cool i was hoping it was just the clutch.

took it to honda today and am still waiting to hear from them... wonder how much they are gonna want to rape me for.... need to get a dang manual. no luck finding a free one online.

John451
07-31-2009, 10:30 AM
go to your local library and check one out they'll most likely have it or be able to get a hold of it. lol i know when i heard that i was like wtf?? but they actually do have alot of them, i needed one for my 1984 suzuki lt125 and they had it, and i live in a fairly smalll town.