PDA

View Full Version : Tranny problems

askmd
07-29-2009, 11:30 PM
Ive been a 250r rider from day one,now considering a LTR 450 but have heard of tranny problems,how much truth is there and how much BS,not a racer just a duner looking for some level of reliability , thanks for your input.

LTR450_#67
07-31-2009, 09:32 AM
All the LTRs need a shift pin bracket, due to a weakish design where if you land on the shifter it can break the shift pin out of the case...but if you happened to have done that, most brands of the bracket are virtually the same. Some makers of the bracket are Walsh Race Craft, Fuel Atv and BCS Performance.

Try for a low hour '06-07.....They can once in while have a false neutral.....but I read somewhere you can get rid of it by upgrading some of the shift mechanism pieces to that of the updated '08+ LTRs.......That being said I don't suggest getting an '08+ LTR since the 3rd gears in them will go out before 20hrs of hard riding.....I know from my own experience....twice.....the first time my original '08 gears went out, I had maybe 20hrs on it. (I think they only lasted that long due to I had the gears sent out to be polished). I replaced them with the supposedly better updated '09 gears and got under 10hrs on them. Then they started breaking and I knew it right away, cause 3rd gear sounded really bad like a super loose chain rattle/chatter. There is a solution to fix the problem and they cost $550. They are billet gears through ATP Racing.

I love my LTR other than that.

atveric132
07-31-2009, 09:50 PM
and its mostly just the 08's the 06's and 07's rarely have tranny problem