PDA

View Full Version : Racer tips.

Ryan
01-08-2003, 05:26 PM
Well for some of you beginner racers (Including myself) Is always looking for racing tips. We all wanna know tips that will lead us to the #1 spot. I havn't seen a thread like this so I figured this would be very helpfull for some of us. Post some good racing tips that will help some of us stay out of last place :D Thanks.

While im at it, I'll go first.
When you are racing, always be heavy on the throttle and the gas. When your coming up to a turn, don't just let off the gas and let the atv slow itself down so you can make that turn. Come into the turn while on the throttle and then use your brakes. I have noticed alot of people at the local track get passed from this. :)

250rmike
01-08-2003, 05:36 PM
lets see:

keep the rubber side down
dont do anything ur not comfortable wit. dont say well that guy just made the 90ft triple so ill just follow him and illdo it. that can get u hurt.
dont doubt urself
umm thats all i can thnk of for now

racerx573
01-08-2003, 06:12 PM
http://www21.brinkster.com/teamaurora go to the tips section.

Ryan
01-08-2003, 06:47 PM
RacerX, Your link didn't work but just copy and paste them onto here.

Sparks425Ex
01-08-2003, 06:52 PM
Alot Of Water on the days up to the race and the day before.

250rmike
01-08-2003, 07:00 PM
practice practice practice

Ryan
01-08-2003, 07:15 PM
I found this one to work good for me. Good for XC racers :p

Find some new riding areas or new trails, Ride like you normally do on your usual trails threw these new ones and you will learn to ride better on unformiliar territory ;) :huh

AtvMxRider
01-08-2003, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by R8
RacerX, Your link didn't work but just copy and paste them onto here.

Worked for me. pretty good info.

Ryan
01-08-2003, 07:21 PM
I tried again and It didn't work for me. If someone could copy and paste it, that would be good.

And I might as well put another tip, lol.

When racing down a hill or downslope, hit the front brakes instead of the rear and its faster. I heard that somewhere but it works for me.

GNCC#829
01-17-2003, 07:07 AM
Here is that link.

If you run bead locks, stuff foam in the wheel to keep mud out (if you have the inner ring, stuff it on the inside also). Or for the outer part of the wheel purchase some mud caps. (PGR Racing 724-639-9188).
Remove your air box lid to add more air flow, and remove the stock snorkel. 400EX riders can use a chewing tobacco can to plug the hole, Kyle and I use VP fuel can caps to plug ours on our 250R's.
ALWAYS invest in suspension before you go and get a big motor kit. Especially if you race MX. Anyone can go fast in a straight line, but corners and jumps is where you will win the race. There have been many times when a big bore quad , Banshess in particular, have pulled me on the straights but I passed them in whoops or other technical situations, because they were running stock suspension!
During the few days before a race, drink at least 1 gallon of water a day, that way you will be hydrated well come race time. No soda, or alcoholic beverages. Gatorade helps a lot also!
Rest: get at least 8 hours of sleep on the race night! (unless of course you're like us and are working on the quad until 12 or later! LOL)
Gate choice: watch the other motos (even if it is dirt bikes) and see where the holeshot winners line up. Try to look 10-15 after the gate to see if it is smooth sailin'. Also watch the motos to see about when the gates drop after the card has been turned.
Jumping: hop over the jump if you're not sure how fast to clear it. If it is a double, it is better to overshoot it then come up short. Also try doing table tops of similar size to make sure you can make that distance. Visualize yourself landing the jump. (look at the landing-if you can, not the lift.) Always look ahead of you, not what's right in front of you. If you're too busy lookin right in front of you, what's behind you will pass you. (this applies to many other situations not just jumps.)
Passing: watch the riders in pract. to see what lines they take. Some riders will settle into the lines they will take during the race. Like I said above, look ahead of you...well watch for an opportunity to pass, watch where the rider has difficulties, and use it to yout advantage. If they make a mistake you want to be right there to blast past them!!!

Ryan
01-17-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by GNCC#829
Here is that link.

If you run bead locks, stuff foam in the wheel to keep mud out (if you have the inner ring, stuff it on the inside also). Or for the outer part of the wheel purchase some mud caps. (PGR Racing 724-639-9188).
Remove your air box lid to add more air flow, and remove the stock snorkel. 400EX riders can use a chewing tobacco can to plug the hole, Kyle and I use VP fuel can caps to plug ours on our 250R's.
ALWAYS invest in suspension before you go and get a big motor kit. Especially if you race MX. Anyone can go fast in a straight line, but corners and jumps is where you will win the race. There have been many times when a big bore quad , Banshess in particular, have pulled me on the straights but I passed them in whoops or other technical situations, because they were running stock suspension!
During the few days before a race, drink at least 1 gallon of water a day, that way you will be hydrated well come race time. No soda, or alcoholic beverages. Gatorade helps a lot also!
Rest: get at least 8 hours of sleep on the race night! (unless of course you're like us and are working on the quad until 12 or later! LOL)
Gate choice: watch the other motos (even if it is dirt bikes) and see where the holeshot winners line up. Try to look 10-15 after the gate to see if it is smooth sailin'. Also watch the motos to see about when the gates drop after the card has been turned.
Jumping: hop over the jump if you're not sure how fast to clear it. If it is a double, it is better to overshoot it then come up short. Also try doing table tops of similar size to make sure you can make that distance. Visualize yourself landing the jump. (look at the landing-if you can, not the lift.) Always look ahead of you, not what's right in front of you. If you're too busy lookin right in front of you, what's behind you will pass you. (this applies to many other situations not just jumps.)
Passing: watch the riders in pract. to see what lines they take. Some riders will settle into the lines they will take during the race. Like I said above, look ahead of you...well watch for an opportunity to pass, watch where the rider has difficulties, and use it to yout advantage. If they make a mistake you want to be right there to blast past them!!!

Excellent tips. I think that just about raps it up :blah .

MxDale71
01-17-2003, 03:14 PM
I don't know if this is really a racing tip or if it's just what I do, but I RARELY use my rear brakes unless I'm tryin to get the front end down while I'm in the air. I stay on the throttle coming into a corner, let off a little, shift down and use my front brakes all at the same time while leaning forward and WAY inside (I have a stock axle so I have to lean A LOT to get it to corner like I want it to) and then sit back, and pin it leaving the corner.

Also, most people know this but I'll say it anyways. Use the throttle to help the front end up while in the air, and use your rear brake to get the front end down while in the air. Just remember to pull in the clutch when you tap the rear brake, so you don't stall out mid air. :D

Ride smart. If the guy ahead of you is to fast for you, and there isn't anybody really right behind you, don't ride like your battling for first in a championship race. Just ride easy... I'm not saying that you should start rolling everything, but don't push yourself so hard. Why increase your chances of wrecking when you aren't going to catch anymore positions and the guy behind you is to far to even catch up?

nacs400ex
01-17-2003, 05:17 PM
Get first, and try and get the trophy girls numbers:blah

Most of all have fun! and try your hardest

AL81
01-17-2003, 08:11 PM
hold her wide open you'll make it

MrP
01-17-2003, 08:18 PM
Another tip is to not always listen to other people. For example if someone is not doing a jump or something like that and they are giving advice on how to do it, ignore them.

d-14 rider 27
01-17-2003, 10:05 PM
just use your head, watch what other racers are doing. if your like i was at my first race, scared of goin into a 12 ft wide corner with 20 quads, just let off and let them all go, mybe theyll all wad up and you can just ride around them. jumping, it will come to you eventually. if your not doing a jump, and you think the person behind you is, take the rougher line so your not in his/her way that way you dont make enemies. just ride safe and smart, talk to other racers, and have a good time, and always remember, like any sport, theres always a few dick heads that think its a big demolition derby with jumps, dont associate with these people

QuadJunkies
01-19-2003, 01:36 AM
hmmm.. lors of good info here...;) Ill keep all this in mind:)

hondaracer31
01-19-2003, 07:37 AM
The worst thing some new riders do is NOT holding a line! DO NOT zig-zag all over the track. I have lined up to do a triple that I know the guy in front of me is not doing, and he will go from one side of the track to the other while he's on the jump. That's a good way to get hurt.
Just hold your line, don't try to get out of his way, he'll get around you. The exception to this is if the other guy is not in your class and in battleing the lead in his class.

That's just my opinion/experiance...