PDA

View Full Version : Chest protector...... PROBLEM

Ryan
07-29-2009, 07:11 PM
Ok, a few weeks ago, I found a bunch of gear I never even knew I had, that came with a bunch of other garbage when I purchased my old 400ex. 2 things that really caught my eye, which was the kidney belt (or back brace, whatever you wanna call it) and a fly chest protector. So I wanted to go test it out... Now normally, I really shouldn't be riding a quad to hard due to my back condition, but sometimes I get stuck in the moment.

I was hitting a small jump in the yard with a flat landing (about a week ago).... I bogged out right before I came off the jump (ran out of gas... SHOULD OF CHECKED!). Nose dived a little hard, "no big deal" im thinking... "I will ride out of this" As soon as I landed, My shoulders came up, my neck went back, and the back of the chest protector came right into the back of my neck... The pain was so instant, my hands let go of the handle bars and I had to take a small tumble. I never felt so much pain in my neck, it felt as if I hit some sort of pressure point. Now this was the first time I was wearing this thing. Has anyone else had this problem?

The main problem is, I been having terrible headaches that start from a pain in my neck, and goes right into my head.... Im hoping I didn't do anymore damage to myself.... Im just curious if anyone had any kind of problems with their chest protector? :confused:

07-29-2009, 07:18 PM
why didnt u stand up?

Ryan
07-29-2009, 07:53 PM
I was standing up and leaning back! Im no dummy to jumping. As soon as I went to give it that extra gas to come off the jump, it bogged out... I landed hard on the front wheels. It would have been no big deal, but the chest protector just killed me. My neck still feels sore, and once in awhile i'll get a sharp pain in my head when my neck starts to hurt. Im just wondering if anyone has experienced this before.... And if its a good idea to invest in a neck brace? Or was it the chest protector?

ProspectorJim
07-29-2009, 08:15 PM
it sounds like your neck compressed when you landed. Obviously, a neck brace will prevent that.

born2ride14
07-29-2009, 08:27 PM
Go to the chiropractor! What he will do is sit you on a table and then crack your back like 8 different ways, reiliving preasure in your back that you might have gotten from the wreck. Then he will take ahold of your neck and jerk it to both side relieving tremendous preasure, this is what is causeing your headaches. My doctor/ chiropractor said there are some nerves or something that are affected by the preasure and creates a headache. Keep on going back to him once a week until you are back to 100% or better. I had some slight back pain a couple moths ago, and i went to the chiropractor once a week for like 4 or 5 weeks. no i feel so much better. Headaches, GONE. I would reccomend going to the chiropractor after a couple races or hard rides. When jumping, the landing will create preasure in your back , therefore backpain.

hope this helps

k4f5x0r
07-29-2009, 09:21 PM
yea im only 15 and i go to the chiropractor every couple of months(6-8 weeks) for my neck and hips mainly. i can tell when i need to be re aligned because i start to get some bad headaches.

he cracks my neck twice, cracks my back and both of my hips and im done. feel so much better afterwards too. well worth it ;)

Ryan
07-29-2009, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by ProspectorJim
it sounds like your neck compressed when you landed. Obviously, a neck brace will prevent that.

It felt like it compressed a little bit, but the main problem happened with the back of the chest protector comming up and catching me behind the head. And I used to go to a chiropractor on a normal basis. The back cracking did feel pretty good afterwords, but he ended up hurtin me real bad on one of those beds that stretches a certain part of your back to relieve pressure on the disks. I ended up throwin my back out the next day, and never returned since. And he was also telling me my sciatica was a torn tendon in my leg, so I was getting ultrasound therapy on my leg for nothing.... If I go back, it will be with a different chiropractor.

Maybe the chest protector was to small... I know the guy I got all the stuff from was alot smaller then me... Im thinkin the sides of the chest protector by the shoulders may have been tight, and hit the 2 sides of my neck when I came down? Im just trying to find an answer because it sure as hell didn't feel right, and they are supposed to protect, not cause problems.. :confused:

hondariderdylan
07-29-2009, 09:48 PM
well if the chest protector comes up that close to the back of your neck, chop some of it off so that it cant hit your neck anymore

it shouldnt hurt it any

mxduner
07-29-2009, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Ryan

Maybe the chest protector was to small... I know the guy I got all the stuff from was alot smaller then me... Im thinkin the sides of the chest protector by the shoulders may have been tight, and hit the 2 sides of my neck when I came down? Im just trying to find an answer because it sure as hell didn't feel right, and they are supposed to protect, not cause problems.. :confused: typically they are a 1 size fit all i thought??? adult size i think. do you have arm straps tight enough?

hondariderdylan
07-30-2009, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by mxduner
typically they are a 1 size fit all i thought??? adult size i think. do you have arm straps tight enough?

no
most come in different sizes
hieght/weight etc.