PDA

View Full Version : Lean or rich?

jrockAZ400EX
07-29-2009, 03:58 PM
What is the best approach to check if you're lean or rich? I know what to look for on the plug but was wondering a process.

Example: run for 30 sec then check plug...run at idle for 30sec then WOT for 15sec then check plug... I don't know? Someone have any advise?

Snipe
07-29-2009, 04:56 PM
I run mine down ther road about a 1/4 mile and back and then pull the plug and check it. If I can run at barely open, half open and full throttle and not have any bog's or cutouts and its running a tanish brown im good lol.

Muddinguy
07-29-2009, 09:12 PM
Sorry for the Hijack here but.. Mine runs awesome.. no bogs a little popping when you let off the throttle at high RPM but its not Violent popping .. the plug looks a little black when i pulled it.. Ok.. A LOT black :eek2:

I have no idea what my JEts are at since i bought the engine and Carb together already jetted.. Is it worth trying to get it jetted perfect or is the slightly rich conditon nothing to worry about ??

jrockAZ400EX
07-29-2009, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Muddinguy
Sorry for the Hijack here but.. Mine runs awesome.. no bogs a little popping when you let off the throttle at high RPM but its not Violent popping .. the plug looks a little black when i pulled it.. Ok.. A LOT black :eek2:

I have no idea what my JEts are at since i bought the engine and Carb together already jetted.. Is it worth trying to get it jetted perfect or is the slightly rich conditon nothing to worry about ??

I'd try to jet it the best you can. rich is better than lean because you'll run cooler and won't fry your rings, as long it's a LITTLE rich you should be ok...

Snipe
07-30-2009, 10:27 AM
Yeah but rich robs performance I would mess with it. If it pops and crackles on deceal its usually lean if it backfires its usually rich and of coarse it will smoke as well.