PDA

View Full Version : Outerwear Air Box Lid

a1965gt
01-08-2003, 04:33 PM
Did anyone see the auction on e-bay for an outerwear air box lid with aluminum frame that someone was making. Does anyone know where I can find them? Has anyone tried one, if so what were your results.
Thanks,
James

cjpoole1
01-08-2003, 05:46 PM
www.ehsracing.com is who makes them. They look pretty nice to me

darkhorizon
01-08-2003, 05:47 PM
ya i saw the lid but didn't have the money to buy it at the time. I found the web site where you can buy it

this is it: http://www.ehsracing.com/300ex.htm

trickex250
01-08-2003, 06:14 PM
Outerwears makes a cover for your airbox thats probly the same material that u can get for 18bucks from moto-man.com. It doesnt require mods to the stock lid or come with the aluminum bracket tho it just velcros around the outside fo the top of the airbox. I have one and it hasnt caused me any problems. there is also a review on it in the riview section of exriders.com. I also used black duct tape to tape the edges over the top of the box cuz i didnt trust the velcro too much.

jmoney45
01-08-2003, 06:59 PM
I used to have the outerwears lid, but it didn't last long. I would take it off and replace it with the stock lid when I washed it, and it ripped after about a month of doing this. I ended up buying the ehs lid and am very happy with it. It seems to be constructed well and looks like it will hold up. It was worth it in my opinion.

TravEX
01-08-2003, 07:39 PM
how are they when it comes to water splashing up on it?, will it go through it and down into the airbox?, or will it repel it and keep the airbox dry?,,,the reason i ask is cause i do quite a bit of creek riding in the summer, and with no airbox lid, i have to leave the plug out of the bottom of the airbox to let the water pass through,,,

Steve-o 400EX
01-08-2003, 07:47 PM
I could make that myself. I think i might do that. Just get an outerwear and cut a hole in the stock lid, strap it on and i'm set. I guess its worth a try.

jmoney45
01-08-2003, 07:47 PM
They are supposed to be water repellent for a year. I got some water on mine but nothing got through, just beaded up on top. If you do a lot of water riding you may want to keep the stock lid though.

duneittilludie
01-08-2003, 08:20 PM
a1965gt-if you want to run a different air box lid that will give you a better looking set up that also increases horsepower try going to www. powroll.com and ask about their clear plastic vented lid for the 400 ex.my wifes 440 ex is set up with a fmf q muffler and power bomb header -white bros rev box-mid range cam -stock air filter with a 150 MAIN JET-and it absolutely flies .when we first tried the powroll air box lid i was skeptical that we would notice an improvement but we did and this was with the 150 main jet from the 440 build.its hard to say how much horsepower we gained but it was noticeable.if you are going to spend your money on an aftermarket product you might as well get a horsepower gain as to go along with the custom look.by the way my wifes 440 set up this way can easily hang with a stock raptor up until fourth gear and then it is only slightly behind.if i sound impressed with this product its because i am i would recommend giving it a try.if you want to ask me any more questions about the air box lid or my wifes quad you can e -mail me at (mrwcrw2120@aol.com.

a1965gt
01-09-2003, 08:01 AM
Thanks guys!!!!:)
Thats what I was looking for

TravEX
01-13-2003, 04:30 PM
I got my EHS Racing Outerwear lid in the mail today,,,I really think that it is what I was looking for,,,i held it under the sink faucet and it really sheds the water, none got through,,,I can't wait to put it on,,,

Tommy 17
01-13-2003, 04:35 PM
i had a reg outwears air box cover and it ripped on the 2nd ride:grr stupid velcro

TravEX
01-13-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
i had a reg outwears air box cover and it ripped on the 2nd ride:grr stupid velcro

Hopefully this one won't rip,,,

sparks400ex101
01-13-2003, 05:55 PM
i run mine with no lid and ride in a little wet conditions but mostly dry , no probs yet, you just have to clean the filter more, its easy with foam filters( heres a tip when cleaning a foam filter with oil on it (filter oil) go to home depot and ask for a can of mineral spirits, go home pour it in a bucket wash you filter in it squeze it and saturate it (make sure to wear rubber gloves , that stuff's is toxic and do it outdoors, wash for about 5 min in mineral spririts, the get a bucket of warm water and dish saop aqnd clean it like that, the rinse it of and let it air dry, it may sound like a lot but the mineral spirits make it sooo much more easy)

a1965gt
01-15-2003, 08:08 AM
I just ordered the EHS lid kit. Hopefully it flows a little better than the UNI vents. I ride without a lid when I go to the MX track but its way too dusty to trial ride in the Phoenix area without a lid. I would be cleaning the filter after every ride.
Thanks to everyone for all the help and advice.

Ryan300exRider
02-05-2003, 04:10 PM
does air flow through the ems just as good as no airbox lid or even close because without my lid the air flow is beautiful but i was looking into buyin a new lid because of the water i ride through....

JD400exrider
02-05-2003, 07:56 PM
My outerwear cover ripped after two weaks. I noticed dirt and a little water had gotten through it when crossing through shallow creeks or through small puddles before it ripped. I installed the cover over the air box and put the lid that I have a large opening cut out over the cover to hold it down. I just saw that EHS racing lid last night on ebay and it looks like it will work much better. I just went and got some 1/4" plastic and was going to try to make my own. It may be to hard to cut in the thinner areas. I probably will end up buying one of his. I would also like to get a new solid lid to put on when washing. With no snorkel installed it makes the air box virtually water tight when washing it down. That other cover that was talkked about was another option I am looking at. It is supposed to forse more air into the box. I think motoman sells them.

2000 400ex
CHM slip on, Renthal bars, Air Scoops, Nacs Foot Peg Extenders,
Muscle Steering Dampner with billet mounts, Snorkel removed, Razors-Rear, Hole Shots- Front, DG Full skids, DG Front Bumper, TRX Rev Box, Uni Filter, 14 / 38 tooth, (soon to go back to 15 tooth), Shock Wears

a1965gt
02-06-2003, 08:05 AM
Ryan I know what you mean, my quad would fly with the right jetting and the lid off.
To answer your question, YES
The performance is the same with no lid or with the EHS modified lid, I even run the same jetting for both. I have had the lid for over a month now and I love it. I highly recomend it.

NavyDMO
02-06-2003, 08:58 AM
I saw this lid on ebay a few months ago when they first came out. I made a template of the top of my airbox lid with a pizza box. I then took it to a buddy who took a 1/8" aluminum plate and cut it like the template to look exactly like the EHS. I called Outerwears and spoke to the custom applications guy. He sent me the one that he makes for EHS that is water repellent in red. Can't remeber the price but alltogether after buying the screws and nylon washer bolts it was around $20.00. I live in Washington state and I ride in the rain and through major puddles year round and haven't had a problem. Highly recommended mod.

Fluid400
02-06-2003, 11:26 AM
why not replace the whole box

luvmyex
02-06-2003, 04:44 PM
Ok here a pic of mine.Still a bit dirty after last weekend though.and i spent $7 at the car wash too!

ChuckSpears
02-06-2003, 05:49 PM
Outerwears made this up for me. It was about $20. Outerwear Part #WR2525V. Call Steve @ 800-967-3450. They're a great company to work with.

ChuckSpears
02-06-2003, 05:57 PM
It helps if I attach a photo.