PDA

View Full Version : rear skid plate help

nj1978
07-28-2009, 06:35 PM
my rear skid plate keeps falling off. so i have three possible solutions and im hoping i can get some feedback to which one might be the best,or an even better suggestion.my first one is to retap the hole with a bigger size and a longer screw.not sure if that will helpthe problem but since i only have about 1/4 in of thread in the holes im thinking that might be why it keeps coming loose and falling out(even with the locktite).2 is to get someone to spot weld around all four holes.dont know much about welding but wondering if anyones done that before.and my thind option is drill all the way through the frame and put lock nuts and washers on both ends.im jsut wondering if that will weaken the frame at all.id only be using 3/8 to 1/2 size rod to put through.i need to get this thing on here to stay,all i do is trail riding and cant go without the skidplate.any advise or suggestions is appreciated

DirtMonkey
07-28-2009, 06:39 PM
Don't drill through the frame! Start by drilling and re-taping the holes. Throw some red loc-tite on the bolts once your through and see if that holds. Process of elimination, be patient.

nj1978
07-28-2009, 06:43 PM
ok ok so that was my desparation move.its jsut really frustrating that i cant get the thing to stay on. what size would you recommend. right now i have 3/8 by 3/4 deep and a lock washer

mcgrath
07-28-2009, 07:06 PM
Id just use the next size diameter you dont need any longer. If you can find some green loctite It will never fall out garunteed. You will have an extreemly hard time getting them back out though. I just use red loctite on my stock bolts and never had a problem. Yours must have been cross threaded at some point.

rideahonda
07-28-2009, 07:07 PM
try using lock washers AND locktite

Snipe
07-28-2009, 07:32 PM
retap the holes and re insert would be easiest.