PDA

View Full Version : 38 airstryker or 38 PWK??

1promodfan
07-28-2009, 12:38 PM
O.K. guys, I know this may be opening a can of worms, but, what are the pros/cons of getting an airstryker or a regualr PWK? All of my riding is just open trail riding mainly. I don't race or do stunts or nothing like that. I go riding with my buddies, most of the time I'm in the open, occasionaly in the woods, and I'll hit the drag strip a few times. If I go with a regular 38 PWK will I be disapointed?? Or should I go with an 38 airstryker??

NOTE:(I currently run a 36 PWK quadvent)

IcutMetl
07-28-2009, 01:42 PM
I was under the impression that the 38pwk WAS the AirStryker. I think there's another air stryker PWK as well; a 35mm??

From what I've read, the difference is extra ridges in the intake side that help add velocity and aid in low-end response. I've also gathered from a lot of searching and reading that the 38PWK airstryker seems to be regarded as about the best all around performance upgrade carb for our motors if small bore/ported up to mild built big bores. Seems a lot of the guys that run the big bores or do lots of duning like the 39PWK and bigger.

1promodfan
07-28-2009, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by IcutMetl
I was under the impression that the 38pwk WAS the AirStryker. I think there's another air stryker PWK as well; a 35mm??

From what I've read, the difference is extra ridges in the intake side that help add velocity and aid in low-end response. I've also gathered from a lot of searching and reading that the 38PWK airstryker seems to be regarded as about the best all around performance upgrade carb for our motors if small bore/ported up to mild built big bores. Seems a lot of the guys that run the big bores or do lots of duning like the 39PWK and bigger.

There is a 38 airstryker and a 38PWK. I've heard that the airstryker does aid in a little low-end response. But I guess my thing is, is there a BIG difference in the two? I've also heard that the airstryker can be harder to tune sometimes too.??

zedicus00
07-28-2009, 02:53 PM
airstryker is a variant of the PWK series. the A/S carbs are available in 38mm and 35mm. they are identical to pwk carbs other then the fins in the body.

no difference in tuneability. does aid in low speed throttle response IF you are trying to run a larger carb to get better top end.

E.G. your engine could use a 36mm carb for all around riding but you went to a 38mm to get better top end. you can run a 38 A/S and have good flow for top end and directed air current to get good performance when there is less air going through the carb.

am i making sence? im having trouble putting it into words.

Aceman
07-28-2009, 06:21 PM
Bottom line, what Zed is trying to say, is it's better.;)

Why get just a basic pwk when an A/S is just as good with possibly better throttle response?

JIMFROMTEXCO
07-28-2009, 06:31 PM
i loved the a/s huge difference coming from stock. it was just as easy to tune. i just started following other peoples guidelines. seemed more snappier everywhere, even down low!

Honda 250r 001
07-28-2009, 06:33 PM
i wish i would have bought a airstryker, if i buy another carb it will be a stryker.

1promodfan
07-28-2009, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Aceman
Bottom line, what Zed is trying to say, is it's better.;)

Why get just a basic pwk when an A/S is just as good with possibly better throttle response?

Well, the main reason I'm asking is, I have a chance to get a 38 PWK for $150.....and its brand new. It was only run for about 15min. and thats about it. I've heard great things about the A/S, but I was just wondering should I go ahead and get this 38PWK for the price??? Just wondered if the regular PWK was as good as an A/S???

Honda 250r 001
07-28-2009, 07:24 PM
No way man! I have seen airstrykers for under 100! i think thedeatons has one for sale right now but im not sure on the price.

1promodfan
07-28-2009, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Honda 250r 001
No way man! I have seen airstrykers for under 100! i think thedeatons has one for sale right now but im not sure on the price.

You'll not see one in #1 shape for that price!!! I'm talking brand new!!!

Honda 250r 001
07-29-2009, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by 1promodfan

you got a good point, ive personally never used a stryker so i cant tell ya a comparison, but i have and do use a pwk, and i have no complaints, but bottom end is not the priority on them.

All250R
07-29-2009, 12:41 AM
Well, the main reason I'm asking is, I have a chance to get a 38 PWK for $150.....and its brand new. It was only run for about 15min. and thats about it. I've heard great things about the A/S, but I was just wondering should I go ahead and get this 38PWK for the price??? Just wondered if the regular PWK was as good as an A/S???
I don't have any data, which is where the best answer would lay, but my guess is they make two versions for a reason. The AS is in a lot of MX bikes probably because that application requires power all over the rpm range. My question is what happens in the airflow when you open up wide open? I doubt the fins hamper airflow significantly, but my guess is there is something introduced that wouldn't be there with a strictly round bell mouth. 2cents.

1promodfan
07-29-2009, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by All250R
I don't have any data, which is where the best answer would lay, but my guess is they make two versions for a reason. The AS is in a lot of MX bikes probably because that application requires power all over the rpm range. My question is what happens in the airflow when you open up wide open? I doubt the fins hamper airflow significantly, but my guess is there is something introduced that wouldn't be there with a strictly round bell mouth. 2cents.

I understand what you're saying 100%. So I guess its more of a personal thing?? I was thinking exactly what you just said above. I just didn't want to get it and be dis-satisfied.

Witz
07-29-2009, 09:18 AM

It has been a few years since I bought one, but the 38 PWK air stryker could be had for around $150 brand new. The 38 A/S was the stock carb on the 2000 CR250. As a Honda part it was around $150 from Service Honda. The only thing that has to be done is to jet it correctly for your setup.

1promodfan
07-30-2009, 12:20 PM
Anyone else have any input???

mxduner
07-30-2009, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Witz
It has been a few years since I bought one, but the 38 PWK air stryker could be had for around $150 brand new. The 38 A/S was the stock carb on the 2000 CR250. As a Honda part it was around $150 from Service Honda. The only thing that has to be done is to jet it correctly for your setup. i have heard hat before. i would skip on the pwk for the a/s.my tmx 36 was better than my 38 pwk in almost any condition, except a little on top.