PDA

View Full Version : troubled CR

4TraxRider
01-08-2003, 01:56 PM
I decided to retire my 89' cr last year because of a oil problem. I decided to take a look at it again. Here's the problem. IT slowly started to burn more and more oil ina 4 day epriod, unitl it would only run wide open or it would spudder. It smokes really bad. I pulled the cylinder off to check it, but it was perfect. The water jacket had oil in the bottom of it. Does anyone have any idea what is wrong with it, or what i can do to fix it. It is in perfect condition and i can't stand to junk it. PLEASE HELP.
Sorry for the long post, thanks.

jskance
01-08-2003, 06:51 PM
Just some thoughts that might help.

Is there oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil? Was the coolant level full upon dissassembly? The answers are important as they are indicatore of different problems.

What did the head gasket look like? An indications of leakage? You probably would have noticed any external leakage - however, internal leakage could be a possibility.

What does the cylinder lower gasket/o-ring look like? Look for the same things as with the head gasket.

If you conclude that it is coolant in the oil, I suspect that the head gasket or cylinder lower gasket/o-ring failed, or the water pump failed internally, allowing coolant into the crankcase. As oil is lighter than water, the coolant would overfill the crankcase beyond the operating level, displacing the oil out the crankcase vent tube. This condition would also rob power from the motor by allowing fluid in the crank case to exceed the operating level and beginning to inundate the crankshaft, and submerging the lower portion of the connecting rod when the piston is bottom dead center (BDC).

Good luck with it....let me know what you discover.

01-08-2003, 07:01 PM
thats very very common on old crs, i had a 88

what happens is certain anti freezes will actually eat the metal out after awhile and the water will mix with the oil, it will be white ,what we did was found these areas and jb welded em, it lasted for the 2 years i had the bike without any problems, if ur burning oil it sounds like u have a bad seal of gasket, possibly a cracked case or head, if u have water in ur oil and vice versa its most likely what i said

4TraxRider
01-09-2003, 10:24 AM
Hey thanks guys, the oil was in my coolant. I took the cyclinder off after I drained the radiators, but there was still a fair amount in the water jacket. Now that I am looking at this though, i think i might know the problem. But im still open to any suggestions. I think I had a bad gasket, or the anti freeze ate away the metal or whatever, and that allowed the oil to get into my coolant. I also think the head gasket might have been bad( but it looks alright), and that was allowing the mix to get into my combustion chamber. It's just a thought, but its all i can think of. Thanks again.