PDA

View Full Version : Big bore kit, big problem.

LT Crazy
07-27-2009, 08:05 AM
Maybe others have done O.K. but I think I'm gonna see if I can find a stock jug and head and start over. The big bore was cool but it just didn't hold up and after it was bored again to tighten it back up , it tried to seize. It's maxed out, loose again , probably out of round and getting expensive. I think I went a little overboard with compression ... and maybe a few other things.

LT 80, if I can get another jug, I would still like to bump it up from stock just so I can still make use of some of the other performance mods, but I don't know which piston ( aftermarket ) would be a good choice. Any suggestions ??

LT80
07-28-2009, 07:17 AM
Suzuki pistons till the bore goes to 1.0 over. Wiseco's after that.
I may have a stock cyl. here.
The "96" cc kits sorta suck for long term don't they. :)

I'm curious as to the "what piston" question.
Are you asking cuz it (new cyl) may need one or are you thinking that boring (more cc's) makes more power?

LT Crazy
07-28-2009, 07:39 AM
I went with the 105 cc from L.A. and didn't get a good season out of it afterwards, I thought the sleeve would have been heavier than it was . it lost a lot of torque once it got warmed up.

I'm ready to step back and make it a little less "high maintenance"

As far as the piston question, I figure a used jug is gonna need punched anyway, would it be worth it to put a Wiseco 51mm piston in it ? Is there any performance gained by using Wiseco over stock , and will it hold up any better or worse ?

I may be interested in the cylinder, maybe I should consider a "Top-End" set for it so I don't have to go through all the shopping for parts from here and there and waiting......waiting for the bore job to be finished.

Thanks.

LT80
07-28-2009, 08:00 AM
Most don't know that the stock sleeve can be bored to the 54mm piston. The LA Sleve is only .015 larger (OD)
It pisses me off that they claim it as a "105". W/stock stroke it's 96cc's.
Pistons:: A stock piston will last longer IMO. The Wiseco's need a more meticulous break-in.
There is no power to be made from cc's (not much anyways).Get the smallest bore possible for a long lasting motor.
You mention other mods. What are they?
I agree, get a cylinder/ piston and all that done and shipped to you. Prolly easier. :)

LT Crazy
07-28-2009, 08:19 AM
I opened up the carb, this was tricky, did some work on the reed cage, slapped a set of Boyesen reeds in it, de-burred and smoothed out some of the casting lines in the cases...uh lets see, I spent many sessions with the clutch, I'm a cnc programmer so I shaved the piss out of the head and then re-shaped it to match the crown of the piston, and who knows what else I might have forgot about. which brings me to another question, can I buy just the shoes and springs for the driven clutch somewhere? I think the SUZ dealer told me that I had to buy an entire assy.

I just saw a top end kit for about $160.00 , but....there's always a but, they require the core to be no more than a 2nd over bore, that leaves me out unless I want to buy one from them for another $75.00. Why is fun always so expensive ??

LT80
07-28-2009, 08:50 AM
Buyer beware! I've heard of those. You can send them a stock bore cyl and recieve back a cyl maxxed out (52mm). You don't get yours back.
All new is about $250 (list prices).

Rear clutch:: yes you buy the complete assembly.
Holy crap, it lists at $99.....GEESH, it was 68 bucks not long ago.:eek2:

I'll PM you.

929rog
07-29-2009, 09:04 AM
I have a stock driven weight set up I'd get rid. It is used but worked fine. I bought a new one and cut them to 180 grams. Got another LT last night!! These are so much fun.

LT Crazy
07-29-2009, 10:02 AM
I think I should put most of my efforts into getting the top end put back together but thanks anyway. Clutch still works pretty darn good but the area of the shoes where the springs clip in is pretty worn and a little sloppy, I can live with that for a while. I split the footpegs down the middle and put a bushing in the pipe to make clutch work a whole lot easier, I can jump in there any ol' time with little effort, it's a good tip I picked up from this forum I think.

If I change my mind I'll look you up.

Thanks.

929rog
07-29-2009, 10:47 AM
Thats a great idea on the pegs. It really is a pain playing with the clutches.