PDA

View Full Version : Killa Battery?

Joecool1264
07-26-2009, 09:30 PM
If the rectifier goes out on a 400ex, will it kill the battery? Also if the rectifier goes will the quad still run if you bump start it? Mine runs when you bump start it, but the lights surge with the rpms, and when it dies it's dead! No neutral lights nothing. Any help is welcome, thanks.

wrekd
07-27-2009, 04:56 PM
Either the battery is dead or you got a loose terminal or bad ground. Thats what it sounds like to me. I dont think it would run if the stator went.

Joecool1264
07-27-2009, 07:08 PM
The stator is working, because the quad runs and the lights work. I was thinking that if the rectifier went bad it wouldn't allow the battery to charge, causing it to go bad/dead.
My problems started during a night race. Bike runs fine, until I start running the lights, an hour into the race, the lights start surging up and down with the rpms.
I bump a rock stall the bike and nothing. No waring lights, no head lights nothing, won't even try to start. Track crew recovers me and the quad, and just for giggles I try and bump start while being towed. Bang it fires off and runs until I kill it, then again nothing.

wrekd
07-27-2009, 08:46 PM
When you said rectifier I though it was just another name for the stator...lol...My bad.

I have no clue what a rectifier is. Never heard of one.

wrekd
07-27-2009, 08:57 PM
Ok, rectifier = voltage regulator.

Do your lights get brighter then normal when you rev it up?? If they do, change that or you could start burning stuff up.

EDIT: And yes it will still run if its bad.

Joecool1264
07-27-2009, 09:44 PM
yes, I will be changing the rectifier out. I ran it only long enough to clear the track an get back in the pits. Thanks for the confirmation, later.