PDA

View Full Version : Shane Hitt and Tim Farr back on 250R's!

07-26-2009, 08:51 PM
So I was cruising the pics of the latest Extreme Dirt Track race at Ashtabula and noticed two very familiar riders, Shane Hitt and Tim Farr, and they were riding 250R's! I just about fell off my seat! I did a quick check of the results and couldn't find Tim Farr so maybe he was just out practicing but Shane Hitt took 3rd in the Pro Am Unlimited and 2nd in the 30-plus class. He can't race the 250R in the Pro due to production rules so Pro Am Unlimited is the highest class you can race a 250R. There are a ton of pics of these two guys in the practice photos section so you could tell the photographer (I think it's Harlen Foley) was really digging that these guys were riding the old school quads. I'm very pumped to see something like this and hopefully it opens a few eyes and shows how competitive a 250R still is. It is AWESOME to see those guys back out there on 250R's!

07-26-2009, 08:52 PM
Here's a link. Hopefully it works.
http://www.atvriders.com/gallery/2009-atv-extreme-dirt-track-04-pro-practice-photos/index.html

tt racer
07-26-2009, 10:44 PM
I was there i race Rs too but i was very pumped to see this! Hitt was on a misson he should have won the 30 plus. He was right up in the ***** of the the top 2, the 4 strokes had nothing on the R even in the pro am.

deathman53
07-27-2009, 12:22 AM
I bet half of the riders still wish they had their 250r's. However, they can't and are payed to say how much better they like the 4 strokes. Back in 04, its was still 50/50 with 250r's and hybrid 250r's. It took new rules to get rid of the 250r's and hybrids in pro class, does that say enough???? I was in florida in Jan 08 and John Natalie was there, his wife was talking to me about my 250r and 250r hybrid and how John remembers racing them and sometimes wishes he got them back. She did see my having a hard time to start my hybrid(when flooded) and said when John raced them, he and everybody else had similar problems. My friend was riding my 250r neck and neck with Natalie on one of the tracks, it was something to be seen, it put new vs old in a new light.

I get some strange looks when I take out my 250r's, some of these new riders don't know what they are, my atc250r and hybrid have them going nuts. The 250r needs to come back into spotlight.

DEERCHOOPER
07-27-2009, 02:48 AM
i was there as well. it was a blast to see

quad janern
07-27-2009, 07:15 AM
The BEST news i have heard in a while!!:devil:

Wish i had a 250R :/

Mony25
07-27-2009, 04:03 PM
Best race pics i have seen in a long time.

DEERCHOOPER
07-27-2009, 04:09 PM
shane was pulling the 450 down the streights but couldnt seal the deal before the turn, 30+.

in the other class he was equal to the 2 leading 450's and couldnt get anywhere on the streights

Derrick Adams
07-27-2009, 06:59 PM
I truely believe we are very, very close to seeing a vintage quad class show up at select events. Alot of the PRO's that ran them in the early 2000's are retiring now and I look to see alot more of them going back to their roots. It WILL happen, just not sure when.

deathman53
07-27-2009, 07:21 PM
I would like to see the vintage days to allow trikes also. I think there will be a bigger turn-out than most will expect. Mary hart, mike coe, mickey dunlap, jimmy white and others, it would be a real woot to see them back on the machines they won so many racers with. Didn't some of them want to race their trikes in the champions race in early 2000? Off-topic some, I was at the kawi race of champions in 03 and some of them ran their bikes they won on back in the early 80's and 70's. It was 50/50 between new bikes and their old race bikes.

woodsracer144
07-27-2009, 08:10 PM
is farr on the blue on and shane on the sparks?!?! this is BAD ***** i'll tell you what... Im not sellin mine! hehe haha!!

are they on their old race quads because if hes running sparks and sparks made him some parts i want some!

Saul76
07-27-2009, 08:32 PM
I like your attitude and enthusiasm! It'll never happen though.

If you feel like reading some VERY RECENT interviews with both Mike Coe and Jimmy White about three wheelers check it out here ..
http://www.airfoolers.com/main.html

Originally posted by deathman53
I would like to see the vintage days to allow trikes also. I think there will be a bigger turn-out than most will expect. Mary hart, mike coe, mickey dunlap, jimmy white and others, it would be a real woot to see them back on the machines they won so many racers with. Didn't some of them want to race their trikes in the champions race in early 2000?

thedeatons
07-27-2009, 10:24 PM
I cannot wait to see what the next 5 years will bring for ATVs, both 2 strokes and 4 strokes.

I for one will be keeping our 2 strokes, because I am the one who has to work on them. Plus I cannot afford anything new, especially a $7k 4 stroke....

James

thedeatons
07-27-2009, 10:55 PM
I am in the middle of reading through all the interviews on your site Saul... If you could get Mr. Bassani's, that would be something. I hear he will not even SPEAK to anyone who wants to talk trike.... No clue why... weird.

Were you on 3wheelerworld.com when I was trying to get the magazine together? I believe I still have all the publisher files for it, including interviews....

James

C-LEIGH RACING
07-28-2009, 09:10 AM
I tell you one thing, anybody wasnt at Ashtabula Ohio for this race & seeing it with their own eyes, pics dont even come close to how it was being there.
Aint that right Deerchopper :eek: .

Think about this, Shane was just out there for fun, just playing with the boys & what not alot knew, the engine had a leaking head gasket & wouldnt rev up.
I dont even have to think what it would have been like if his engine had been up to par.
God, what a weekend.

Far as the 250R comming back or 2 strokes for that matter, for those of you dont have a clue, might surprize you what is in development right now.
Neil

woodsracer144
07-28-2009, 10:14 AM
hey Neil... what is "in development right now." 2 strokers? or what... the E- tech in a Can am... people buying 250rs again...?

CorvetteZ06
07-28-2009, 01:43 PM
great pics!

zedicus00
07-28-2009, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by C-LEIGH RACING

Far as the 250R comming back or 2 strokes for that matter, for those of you dont have a clue, might surprize you what is in development right now.
Neil

im not as in the know as our on forum engine builder by any means, but i do see 2-strokes coming back. and ive heard rumors of underground (as they say) 2-stroke testing by the big names. but you can still get 2 stroke dirt bikes (with some minor updates even) if you know where too look.

atk still makes the 700cc 2 stroke dirt bike and you can always pick up a new cr500af.
these havent been updated in a while though.

DEERCHOOPER
07-28-2009, 05:28 PM
I tell you one thing, anybody wasnt at Ashtabula Ohio for this race & seeing it with their own eyes, pics dont even come close to how it was being there.

Think about this, Shane was just out there for fun, just playing with the boys & what not alot knew, the engine had a leaking head gasket & wouldnt rev up.
I dont even have to think what it would have been like if his engine had been up to par.
God, what a weekend.

Neil

right on neil.

a banshee took a c-b class for his first time out. i know its not an r but it is a smoker and he took down 1st for the weekend. my buddy scott hughes took a 2nd on his baldwin built 330r.

Honda 250r 001
07-28-2009, 05:45 PM

God, what a weekend.

Neil

You know something big about the 2-stroke future dont you?? hmmm r u gonna spill the beans? lol

thedeatons
07-28-2009, 06:03 PM
I would steer clear of ATK as a company... Just my experience with Cannondales talking here...

James

C-LEIGH RACING
07-29-2009, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Honda 250r 001
You know something big about the 2-stroke future dont you?? hmmm r u gonna spill the beans? lol

Yesum, just a tad, but I caint say no more who or when.
2 stroke sites I go to, got member from around the world & some in high places that know whats going on.
Neil

dustinshuler
07-29-2009, 09:55 AM
I talked to my old friend Shane Hitt last night and he said he had a blast and would deffinantly do it again. He also said he was on an old 265 cylinder and that if he could have got the holeshot he would have one for sure. He said the next time he would have his 330 on there and he would get the last laugh on the 4 strokers!!!lol

C-LEIGH RACING
07-29-2009, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by dustinshuler
I talked to my old friend Shane Hitt last night and he said he had a blast and would deffinantly do it again. He also said he was on an old 265 cylinder and that if he could have got the holeshot he would have one for sure. He said the next time he would have his 330 on there and he would get the last laugh on the 4 strokers!!!lol

That sounded just like what Shane would say.
You know though, its hard to beleave that boys from W VA, must have moved there or something cause hes got a full mouth of teeth. Hes a hoot to be around though.
Neil

tt racer
07-29-2009, 10:14 AM
I talked to Shane before the 30 + and asked what size that sparks was he said 265 stroker. I love it i race an r too it made my day. To all you young guys out there the 450s had nothing on Hitt in the straights it was so sweet. Hitt seems like a cool guy also wow what a weekend if you guys havent went to pine lake go next year one of the best tracks in the country. I also talked to Harlen for the first time what a cool guy i told him hes got the best quad site on the net!

woodsracer144
07-29-2009, 10:19 AM
did that sparks have a powervalve on it? or not....

dustinshuler
07-29-2009, 10:22 AM
Ive known shane for several years. Back in the 90s Shane and Timmy Farr would come down and practice with me and Brian McKinney at Brians track in the winters. It was so cool to say I was practicing with those guys when I was growing up.This year I raced the Big Buck GNCC in SC on my Leager 250R and Shane was hanging out over the track cheering me on (that was so cool) after the race he saw me and said I thought that was you out there from your size (6.5 265) and riding style. We hadnt talked in a couple years before that and it was neet to see him again.

tt racer
07-29-2009, 11:29 AM
Yes that motor has been kicking arse for a long time.

C-LEIGH RACING
07-29-2009, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by woodsracer144
did that sparks have a powervalve on it? or not....

Yes it did & it was the old Rotax valve.
I was told it was a 330, but if it was a 265, that makes it even better cause he was whuping up on some 4 pokers.

Wonder what it would have been like if he had come fully prepaired, cause they said the engine was thrown together Friday morning.

Tickled me, ol engine spuddering bout 3/4 down the straight & some still couldnt catch him.
Neil

tt racer
07-29-2009, 04:27 PM
It was a 265 Shane told me before the 30 + race!

iceracer65
07-29-2009, 06:31 PM
i would loved to have seen it! hitt is like a robot and puts his bike within inches of the same line every lap, fun to watch no doubt. :D

as for engine size...best running 250R around here made 47 hp and at the time we were like WOwwwwwww...now thats what a piped stock 450 makes.

i think it was prolly a mild big bore, i would like to see a production class win before i would believe otherwise. ;) he still could race a production class no?:D

dirtcrasher
07-31-2009, 02:15 PM
I love the 250R, what a simple and bulletproof design. No parts that cost thousands to get tight again and if you crash, a 250R will actually re-start.

I'm sure jetting plays a huge roll in the thumpers restarting, but they are finicky at best and once there flooded, you lost 5 positions.......

And the costs to have valves done alone is crazy. Honda made motors with valves that lasted 25 years (no they weren't the HP machines we see now) but they're barely at 10% of that now.

I think the power these thumpers make is phenomenal and controllable.

buford
07-31-2009, 03:54 PM
I'm really not into MX racing at all but I just think it's really BS that the AMA or whoever it is won't let the 2 strokes have at least 300-320 cc's in a 450 4 stroke class. I know it's all about the manufacturers and they clout they pull with the sanctioning bodies. But it's rediculous that you can only have up to a 265-268cc 2 stroke motor unless you are in the unlimited classes. I think there are some amazing riders out there but the 4 strokes to me have made it boring and average riders become above average on these new bikes. Real men ride 2 strokes especially the ones that win/won on them.

Out in the dunes where I ride, I will take a 2 stroke all day long and whip modded 450's all day long with a little 4 mil stroke stock jug 285 cc motor and these guys just can't figure it out. That's so much fun.

woodsracer144
07-31-2009, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by buford
I'm really not into MX racing at all but I just think it's really BS that the AMA or whoever it is won't let the 2 strokes have at least 300-320 cc's in a 450 4 stroke class. I know it's all about the manufacturers and they clout they pull with the sanctioning bodies. But it's rediculous that you can only have up to a 265-268cc 2 stroke motor unless you are in the unlimited classes. I think there are some amazing riders out there but the 4 strokes to me have made it boring and average riders become above average on these new bikes. Real men ride 2 strokes especially the ones that win/won on them.

Out in the dunes where I ride, I will take a 2 stroke all day long and whip modded 450's all day long with a little 4 mil stroke stock jug 285 cc motor and these guys just can't figure it out. That's so much fun.

hey you know since its a 450 maxx they should have it like the lites class in mx(bikes) 250 cc if its a 4 stroke or a 2 stroke.... hehe!

or they should have it under like 65 hp or something like that...at peak...

Derrick Adams
07-31-2009, 07:07 PM
I know we have seriously been considering building a fresh motor for my MX-R and running 30+ B/C next year.

It's just like anything else. If you want to make it happen, then you need to Just Do It!

C-LEIGH RACING
07-31-2009, 08:04 PM
Buford.
Only AMA/ATVA Extreme Dirt Track classes you can run a 2 stroke in are the age classes, 16/24, 25 +, 30 +, open A, open B&C class, or Pro Am Unlimited.
The 265/450 A, B or C classes has been dropped & now 450 production A,B or C.
Neil

woodsracer144
07-31-2009, 08:15 PM
i dont know about you but in my local mx raced they have just a 2 stroke class... im not sure on the CC's that you can have at the max but i know they have just a 2 stroke class... its only a few years old... mabie some one that races D23 will chime in... i think right now theres a older guy winning the champion ship...

thedeatons
07-31-2009, 09:00 PM
I too think they should rate classes by the horsepower level. That only makes sense....

James

All250R
08-01-2009, 12:33 PM
Got the picture of Tim Farr on twostrokemotocross (scroll down a little)!
http://twostrokemotocross.com/2009/07/random-news-quotes-and-other-fun-stuff/