PDA

View Full Version : Quick Carb Question

thedeatons
07-26-2009, 06:55 PM
Hey guys... We have a DRR with a KX60 shifter engine installed. I am having a bit of trouble with the carb. The engine runs great, starts right up... But, after I shut it off and walk away for a few minutes, I come back to a gasoline puddle under the quad.

I am assuming the float is either sticking or malajusted.... Does anyone concur with that assessment?

Thanks! James

Logan #34's Dad
07-26-2009, 08:18 PM
Yep, sounds like the float is sticking or has come out of adjustment. It should be an easy fix.

thedeatons
07-26-2009, 08:43 PM
Okay.... What do you recommend? Just cleaning the float needle/seat? No clue what to set the float to, but, if it was out of adjustment wouldn't it continue to pour fuel out of the overflow?

Perhaps it is simply sticking for a few moments then coming unstuck, stopping the flow...???

Thanks!
James

Logan #34's Dad
07-26-2009, 09:08 PM
I'd take it out and clean the float needle and check the condition of the rubber tip. I'd just barely bump up the float adjustment to. The little tab that holds the float needle does come out of adjustment over time from the pounding of landing after jumps.

thedeatons
07-26-2009, 09:09 PM
In addition to my questions above, I just yanked the carb and am checking the float assembly.

Before I spend $34 on new float parts, how can I honestly tell mine are bad? I pressed the float needle into the seat pretty hard, then blew threw the seat's orifice (while holding all the parts in my hand). I could blow through the seat (The threaded jet looking piece) when the float needle was pressed into the seat. Is that normal?

I didn't notice any gumming anywhere, so I believe it is either not seating properly due to old parts, or maladjusted.

James

Logan #34's Dad
07-26-2009, 09:35 PM
Once the rubber tip is up in place (float pushed up) it should seal. I'm not sure how much pressure it should hold - cause you may be A blow hard! :devil: - But that is what stops the flow of fuel into the bowl. Is the rubber tip in good condition? Attach the fuel line with the bowl off and everything else together. Turn the gas on and manually close the float too see if the gas stops.

thedeatons
07-26-2009, 09:43 PM
This little guy does not have a rubber tip. The entire float needle is metal.

Great idea about attaching the fuel line and trying to stop the flow of gas. It may actually be the o-ring instead of the needle/seat interface.

My wife and I have both "air tested" it so far, it doesn't seem to be leaking like I thought. I will go attach the fuel line.

Stay tuned...

James

Logan #34's Dad
07-26-2009, 09:45 PM
Well look at the bright side - at least you can still get your wife to blow! LOL :blah: I couldn't help myself.

thedeatons
07-26-2009, 10:09 PM
Argh... Ya had to go there eh? This is the kid's quad forum... :)

You are brilliant though. I checked the seal with the petcock on, and it sealed fine. So, I bent the tab up on the float assembly, and ran the quad for a minute. Turned it off, waited a few minutes, and no leak!

Thanks a bunch!

James

Logan #34's Dad
07-26-2009, 10:15 PM
Cool man, Now, if when he is riding it and it sounds or acts like it is running out of gas then that means you bent the tab a little too much. In other words - the flow can't keep up with the demand. Just FYI -

thedeatons
07-26-2009, 10:24 PM
Got it... I will keep an eye on HER riding next time we are at the dunes.... The KX60 engine screams in these by the way. She was in second last trip and claimed it was "way too fast".... She went flying by, I was scared myself!

I am finally getting the hang of carbs.... I have been on EFI for thelast three years, so this is a welcome change.

James

edwardsp&b
07-27-2009, 08:44 AM
(quote) Well look at the bright side - at least you can still get your wife to blow! LOL I couldn't help myself

i knew that was coming, but it still made me laugh!!!!!!!
bryan

thedeatons
07-27-2009, 10:50 PM
Well... Another small puddle today. Smaller than before though. Looks like I should make another tab adjustment?

thedeatons
07-29-2009, 11:52 PM
The puddle kept growing, so I finally adjusted it again tonight. I am beginning to think it is not the adjustment, because that would have it leaking right away I would think.

I wonder if there is a hole in the bowl somewhere? That would cause them to fill with gas slowly, then sink, and the bowl to flood....

Is that common?

James

thedeatons
07-31-2009, 09:59 AM
Well, I don't think the floats are filling, because when I open the bowl the floats are not full of gas.... Took me a while to realize that.

I think I wil just order a new float needle and seat, along with a gasket.

James