PDA

View Full Version : aftermarket wheels in the winter

XCRacer236
07-26-2009, 05:52 PM
how many of you guys that have aftermarket wheels and tires take them off during the winter and put the stockers on? i plan on doing this, and was wondering if im the only one that would, or if everyone does it. winter can get pretty nasty here and plan on doing this to save them from the salt.

Jigsaw
07-26-2009, 06:16 PM
I used to do this on my mustang for a few years. But this year I just left the stockers on because I really hadn't had the time, plus it was starting to be a pain in the *** lol

yellowzo3
07-26-2009, 06:26 PM
A lot, if not most, do this. Unless you live in California or something where there is no "winter", then you should run stockers in the winter. Some guys go into "winter mode" with their cars and change their wheels and raise the suspension up also. I'll be doing the same as you come winter time.

Quad18star
07-26-2009, 07:01 PM
Like I replied in the PM .... When I get a set I'll be taking them off for winter use when I buy a set. Road salt will kill your rims and most aggressive off road tires don't handle well in a foot of snow and ice.... they're more designed for mud.

It's quite funny to see around town here when guys go into winter mode as mentioned . All the big trucks with suspension lifts running around on stock tires and wheels ... looks kind of odd.... but you gotta do whatcha gotta do. I even bought another set of rims and tires for my little Saturn car just for winter use . Steel rims with winter tires.:p

NacsMXer
07-26-2009, 08:52 PM
I have chrome Lightning wheels I run on my truck. I run more of a street tire on these wheels. Come winter time, I take them off and put the stock aluminum rims and skinny all terrain tires back on. It works out because I save the good rims from the salt, and I run the proper tire for the conditions at the same time.

XCRacer236
07-26-2009, 10:30 PM
alright thanks guys. at least ik im not crazy now haha. i have some highway tires on the stockers right now. so i wanted to get some nice aluminum wheels and A/T tires for the summer. for when i go ride and to the races. and in the winter just have to make due with the highways. thanks