PDA

View Full Version : popping while crusing ?

uchi
07-26-2009, 11:43 AM
i had the pred out today and we were traveling between trails on a gravel path. nice and wide and we stayed in and around the middle of 5th gear. and after a few minutes i noticed that id get a backfire if i let off the throttle a little and sometimes just on its own. im wondering if shes running a little rich. there are no issues while playing through the gears and the power is there but im hoping that shes just burning some unburnt fuel. havent checked the plug yet but its on my list for the week.

honda400ex2003
07-27-2009, 08:23 PM
i think that is what it may be. like you said check the plug and go from there. it could be running just on the border of lean too and at that spot makes it lean out then it is good for the rest of the carb areas. steve

uchi
07-27-2009, 08:27 PM
Possible. Although the plug I yanked was black. It wasn't constant. Once I got on the gas it went away. Hard to say. Ill have to pull it again when I do the battery

Oh and the 400 needs yet another plug. Its sat for about a month and a little and it had a hard time firing today. And once it did it sputtered a bit. Seems to do that when it sits for a while.

honda400ex2003
07-27-2009, 08:32 PM
it sounds rich to me then i would keep an eye on the plug and do a chop cause you may be able to go down a jet or two and really make it a better machine by doing so. you should try to turn out the f/a on the 400 and see if it helps to get it running a bit easier. i think that with some more gas it would be ok to get fired up when it has sat for a while. even try to pump it a few times when it sits for a while to get some gas moving. even a 1/4 or 1/2 turn would help maybe. i would say try out a 1/4 cause it should not affect the performance of the machine too mcuh for the worse and may even help it out. good luck, steve

uchi
07-27-2009, 08:36 PM
Plug on the 400 always looks good. Its got goodcolor to it. The 500 on the other hand I'm gonna check it again and if its black I may drill the lid on it :D. The 400 always takes a couple pumps. But if it sits for more than a couple weeks its a ***** to start. And I think the choke is usless. It does so little I barely notice anything. I've always gotta hold the throttle for a bit while she's warming up. Hey steve do you have msn? Add me if you do turbocav@hotmail.com

honda400ex2003
07-27-2009, 08:41 PM
yup i do, i just sent you the invite. steve

uchi
07-27-2009, 09:21 PM
cool buddy, ill accept it next time im on.

oh man i had the 400 running today, its on my motorcycle jack getting ready for the new bearings. ordered them on the weekend finally. and i wanted to see how bad they were. so wheels off the ground, put her in first, slip the clutch out it makes a terrible noise and stalls. theyre finished. i jsut hope i havent wrecked the carrier. if i did its gonna be time for an upgrade lol

honda400ex2003
07-27-2009, 09:29 PM
yeah time to do them. lol. steve

uchi
08-02-2009, 06:54 AM
man if they ever arrive ill be glad to get them done. still not here. hopefully early next week

born2ride14
08-02-2009, 07:20 AM
Exhaust leak?

uchi
08-02-2009, 07:23 AM
i thought that but it was a pop that i felt, like a missfire but only after cruising at the same rpms for a few minutes.

baker420ex
08-02-2009, 11:25 AM
i dont know what you have for jetting man but i think you need to check that out. you may need to go down on your main jet size or or you may need a larger slow jet. i'd start with one or the other, don't go and do both at the same time, so at least you'll be able to use process of elimination on figuring out your problem, but while you're at it you might as well clean out your float bowl and get some fresh gas in your tank.