PDA

View Full Version : Any lawyers?

nakomis0
07-26-2009, 09:33 AM
Ok I'm asking this for my father in law. He owes me $3k, doesn't have a job and its just really pissing me off. He got divorced over a yr ago and is waiting on money from this divorce to pay me.

Ok so he gets a divorce it goes to court forever cause shes a pain in the butt. Apparently the verdict is she gets the house and has to give him $30k.

Well she has not given him the money. And his attorney won't do anything more for him cause he hasn't been paid. So my dead beat father in law asks me what he should do? Like I would know I play with wires for a living, I don't do legal advice.

Heres a little background on this story... This $3k I borrowed to him, went something like this...

Father in law: "?Hey can I borrow $3000 for a couple weeks, I'll get it right back?"

Me: "Ouch, I'm poor and I need that money for my house payment next month, but ok if its just for 2 weeks."

That was 10 months ago. :)

Anyways anyone got any advice?

Pappy
07-26-2009, 09:34 AM
Did you get anything in writing?

nakomis0
07-26-2009, 09:35 AM
For me no I didn't get anything in writing...

Which 450?
07-26-2009, 09:42 AM
then he can go, "I never borrowed $3000 from you" case closed

extremeblastr
07-26-2009, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Which 450?
then he can go, "I never borrowed $3000 from you" case closed

good job reading:rolleyes:

what hes asking is what can they do to get the money that his father in law is owed from the divorce so that the father in law can give him back the money that he borrowed.

Which 450?
07-26-2009, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by extremeblastr

what hes asking is what can they do to get the money that his father in law is owed from the divorce so that the father in law can give him back the money that he borrowed.

I did read, there's nothing in writing!!!! So the father in law can say "What $3000?" There's nothing in writing, so no case!!!

Pappy
07-26-2009, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by nakomis0
For me no I didn't get anything in writing...

I was thinking if you had something you may be able to go after her or have a lawyer pressure her to pay or get a lein against the settlement she owes.

extremeblastr
07-26-2009, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Which 450?
I did read, there's nothing in writing!!!! So the father in law can say "What $3000?" There's nothing in writing, so no case!!!

you fail to understand whats going on here, the father in law is willing to pay as soon as he has the money, when the exwife pays up from the divorce he will have the money and pay. what he wants to know is if there is a way they can make the exwife pay up the money she was supposed to from the divorce so nakomis in turn can get the money he is owed.

nakomis0
07-26-2009, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by extremeblastr

Exactly.....

Originally posted by Pappy
I was thinking if you had something you may be able to go after her or have a lawyer pressure her to pay or get a lein against the settlement she owes.

Thats not a bad idea. We may consider something like that. I could file paperwork on my end fairly easy. I don't think I would have much ground to stand on, but atleast its some more pressure on her.

Any ideas on what the father in law should do?

I guess If he has the paperwork saying she owes him this money. Then all he would have to do is set a court date up himself..... She might get a lawyer though.

... I just asked my wife why the heck hes not on the internet figuring this out himself. Apparently he doesn't have internet, ...figures....:ermm:

Pappy
07-26-2009, 01:13 PM
If I understand this, his lawyer wont do anymore because the FIL owes the lawyer?

Or the lawyer hasn't been paid from the original settlement from her?

extremeblastr
07-26-2009, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
If I understand this, his lawyer wont do anymore because the FIL owes the lawyer?

Or the lawyer hasn't been paid from the original settlement from her?

what i'm gathering is that the lawyer is owed by the FIL who has not been able to pay because the ex is still stiffing him on the divorce settlement.

quad2xtreme
07-26-2009, 06:34 PM
have your father sell his debt to a loan shark. He will only get about 75% of the 30k. He can pay you. The loan shark will get his money from the ex-wife.

nakomis0
07-26-2009, 08:19 PM
Yup FIL cannot pay the lawyer so lawyer won't do anymore work. Which you would think the lawyer would just finish the case and charge more money. I don't know. Thanks for these ideas.

F-16Guy
07-27-2009, 06:24 AM
I wonder if he could put a lien against the house and then force her to sell it to get his $30K? He would probably have to take her to court to prove that she hasn't paid out her portion of the settlement. She may be broke as far as money in the bank, but if she's sitting on an asset like a house, then he may be able to force her to sell to pay her debt.

07-27-2009, 02:39 PM
is ur wife pissed that ur goin after her dad for that 3k?

nakomis0
07-27-2009, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by SmitTank789
is ur wife pissed that ur goin after her dad for that 3k?

No shes pissed at him too. She use to talk to him allot and we would go down to see him about every 3-5 months. (3-4hr ride) That never happens anymore.

I know he didn't plan on losing his job or his ex doing everything in her power to screw him but... poop happens, this guy got turded on and some turds splattered on us... lol, nice turd analogy.

I can say at least he is contacting us.

F-16Guy
07-27-2009, 06:47 PM
It sounds like he's trying to do the right thing, and not intentionally dodging you. If you're in a bind now because of the cash you loaned him, that's your problem. Next to the #1 rule -- don't lend money to relatives (ahem), the #2 rule is don't loan money you can't live without. If you couldn't afford to lend it, you shouldn't have.

nakomis0
07-28-2009, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by F-16Guy
It sounds like he's trying to do the right thing, and not intentionally dodging you. If you're in a bind now because of the cash you loaned him, that's your problem. Next to the #1 rule -- don't lend money to relatives (ahem), the #2 rule is don't loan money you can't live without. If you couldn't afford to lend it, you shouldn't have.

Ya I'm hurtin, I only bought 5 quads this summer and now I really want a jet boat. ;)

But seriously yes no more loans from me. My story is always gonna be 'I'm broke'. especially to family... well anyone on my wifes side!

F-16Guy
07-28-2009, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by nakomis0
Ya I'm hurtin, I only bought 5 quads this summer and now I really want a jet boat. ;)

But seriously yes no more loans from me. My story is always gonna be 'I'm broke'. especially to family... well anyone on my wifes side!
Well that's good. Most people don't have enough sense to not loan their last dime. It sounds like the guy's trying to make good. If he was a real dirt bag, he'd just say "Money? I don't owe you any money", since you guys didn't get anything in writing.