View Full Version : Yfz 250 Se???

Hollywoodracing
07-26-2009, 07:08 AM
OK, I know this one might spark some controversy.
I know that the Raptor 250 is the best sport 250 in it's class... That being said, I heard from a fellow racer at the track yesterday that Yamaha was coming out with some sort of yfz 250 Special Edition.... Not sure why they would, considering they have the Raptor, and that is a huge hit with the youth market as well as the adults....
Anyway, I know apex came out with a prototype 250 racer that looks just like a yfz, and I wonder if that's where the confusion came from.

What started this post is this. My oldest daughter turns 13 the end of September. Next season she will be racing the Blaster class (90-300cc). She is a little too small to ride a Blaster (plus I don't really care for working on 2 strokes anymore LOL), but fits fine on the raptor 250. I have a full race Pro Level YFZ in my garage. Does anyone know what's involved with taking out the 450 and putting a 250 from a yz 250F in it's place, or what parts if any from a YFZ 450 fit on a Raptor 250?

Another point of contention is that a bunch of people said she would be better off on a 300ex Honda... I told them I would rather push a Yamaha than let her ride a Honda... But now I'm wondering if maybe I need to open my eyes a little. I have until next season to get it together, and she is going through a bit of a growth spurt, so thats why I threw in the YFZ motor swap question.

Thanks!!!!!!

headache
07-26-2009, 10:25 AM
I'd say that he was mistaken the apex quad which is going to use a yzf250 motor. Honestly you'd probably best off building a 300ex. there are a ton of parts both new and used out there and they are reliable. What kind of racing is she going to be doing? Also i doubt that any yfz450 parts are going to fit on the 250. Oh and a blaster is more than cabable of being competitive with any of the other quads. They are just a little harder to ride being a 2stroke and take more skill and will wear a rider out quicker..

XBLASTERRACERX
07-27-2009, 04:14 PM
yeh it had to be the apex. If you are going to be running the 200-300 class it is a production class which means u have to use the stock frame and engine cases. I also recomend a 300ex because they are more reliable and if you look at the national series results raptor 250's almost never get in the top 10 where as 300ex's take almost all top 10 spots. Just something to think about?

Hollywoodracing
07-28-2009, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by XBLASTERRACERX
yeh it had to be the apex. If you are going to be running the 200-300 class it is a production class which means u have to use the stock frame and engine cases. I also recomend a 300ex because they are more reliable and if you look at the national series results raptor 250's almost never get in the top 10 where as 300ex's take almost all top 10 spots. Just something to think about?
Yeah, just read the rulebook... guess she is gonna get a new quad...... too bad, she would have had the sickest quad in her class.....

XBLASTERRACERX
07-28-2009, 08:54 PM
Oh I meant to ask is she going to race the D-6 series? Just because that is the series I race.