PDA

View Full Version : questions about changing the oil??

400man
07-24-2009, 08:56 PM
I got me a 00 400ex last week and im still learning a few things about the bike (dont have a clymer manual.....yet), but I had a few questions about changing the oil. ive used the search option the best I could, but oddly when you search for "oil" it says that it doesnt meet the minimum 4 letter word length.

but anyways, heres my questions. when draining the oil from the motor, how do you also drain the oil from the oil tank? and when you go to add the new oil, im guessing you put it all in the oil tank, but how does the new oil get into the motor without starting it, seeing as theres no filler cap on the motor like most other bikes? and what is the oil capacity for just changing the oil and fillter?

matt14c
07-24-2009, 09:11 PM
There is a large drain bolt on the bottom of the oil tank. I believe 17mm socket. Once you fill it move your off/run/off switch to off and turn it over a couple times. It wont start but it will still turnover. Its 1.95 U.S. Quarts. Also if you havent purchased it yet the Honda Manual is a little better then the clymer.

Also when you search for small words add a asterik at the end like oil* and it will search it. Also someone put a manual online if you search online manual you can find it.

400man
07-24-2009, 09:14 PM
awesome! thanks for the quick reply

Muddinguy
07-24-2009, 09:34 PM
x2 on the Honda manual..
I have a Clymers and a Honda.. I got the honda with my motor.. it is WAY better than the Clymers.. but the Clymers has a few things i liked better.

nakomis0
07-25-2009, 07:44 AM
I have an extra Clymers for sale if anyone wants it $15 shipped.

omeeomy
07-26-2009, 07:05 AM
here ya go hope it helps
http://www.sendspace.com/file/wcy9is

asalerno0703
07-26-2009, 08:17 AM
here ya go man. i followed these instructions for my own and it turned out great. it was my first time too. hope it helps.

http://www.atvriders.com/articles/oilchange400ex.html

rideahonda
07-26-2009, 10:49 AM
I bought the PDF Honda manual on ebay. 5 bucks!

400man
07-26-2009, 11:43 AM
thanks for all the advice, that atvriders.com article helped alot. but I got one more question. After the oil and filter is changed and the engine started and the oil has cycled through the system, how are you supposed to check the oil level? like the day after I changed it, I went to check the oil (motor is cold and has set all night) and it was just BARELY on the stick. I put in 2 qts like it said. so my question is are you suppose to check it after its been run and let it set for a few minutes, or check it before starting the bike??

omeeomy
07-26-2009, 01:44 PM
let it idle til its warm then let it set then check it
never check it cold

dankbud42o
07-28-2009, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by rideahonda
I bought the PDF Honda manual on ebay. 5 bucks!

lol. someone got lucky... its free on the net man...use google to search or look at the above post for a FREE link... ;)

marineco
07-28-2009, 09:43 PM
I have tried pretty hard to find a pdf manual, honda OR clymer, that includes the 07 model. so far i have only found the 99-02 manual. i'm sure most of it would be the same, but if anyone knows where to find a more current one it would be very helpful. i have searched this site and found 3 or 4 links to the old one, but none to the new.