PDA

View Full Version : 4 deg timing key

monkeyballs
07-24-2009, 06:14 PM
Ok every one, I am lightening my fly wheel.. So at the same time I would like to get the degree key done.. This is currently my build.

-87mm boar 416cc's
-Wiseco light weight piston 11:1 compression
-Light port and polish
-Crf 450r timing chain
-New timing chain guides
-Lapped valves
-Hot cam stage 1
-Full system yosh pipe
-K&N air filter w/ pre charger Running no air box lid
-Tusk clutch
-Hinson clutch basket

Now im wondering how my build will take the 4 deg timing key.. I know the full 6 deg is to much and will run to hot. (unless I use e-85 wich I cant get...) But has any one ever done the 4 deg running with supreem gas 94octane.

Thanks

Wheelie
07-24-2009, 09:45 PM
If you plan on running an advance key of any setting with your setup, I highly recommend running higher octane fuel at the very least.

If you want to run a +4 key with your setup, use atleast 100 octane and consider installing a SPAL fan or auxillary oil cooler.

The engine will respond very well to added timing, but the added power will do nothing but cause potential headache without taking the proper steps to ensure the engine stays cool and detonation free.

My .02.

monkeyballs
07-25-2009, 09:51 AM
Around where I am (canada/ ontario) Its almost impossible to get high octane. I can get octane boosters but most of them are pretty crappy....... Im curious if it will be good with 94 oct.

Then I have no problem putting in a biger oil cooler and a fan. What would run hotter. A 440 with no cooling system or my build with the key. Finally, have you ever tryed the key? And what do you think about it if so.

Wheelie
07-25-2009, 10:29 AM
I make the 4 degree keys, as far as I know no one makes them.

The key made a big difference in power, it also added a noticeable amount of heat. I run a fan and about 102 octane fuel and it works great.

Octane boosters are garbage. If you don't have access to high octane fuel, don't try a timing key with 11:1 compression.