View Full Version : When will Quad racing get it's due respect

johnnyquad17
07-24-2009, 02:53 PM
It really is insulting that Pro ATV racing is not on ESPN. What are the factories doing to make this happen? I appreciate the factory support but lets take it to the next level. The only way is to get it on TV. It only will benefit them. I always had a Honda quad untill they refuse to support ATV racing. Now I own a Suzuki LTR 450.

I really thought we were on our way with the WPSA. I believe if they could of hung in there for a few years we would have been on our way and a lot more main stream. Why the hell is tractor pulls and dog shows on ESPN and we are not.

The last ATVA MX race was amazing. You can't tell me that the average joe who watches other extreme sports would not enjoy that. When the hell is the ATVA or AMA going to step up and give us a chance. I guarante it would be a success.
John

buck440
07-24-2009, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by johnnyquad17
Why the hell is tractor pulls and dog shows on ESPN and we are not. :D true lol

J.Brown121
07-24-2009, 04:14 PM
i agree with ya'll, but it'll take more than suzuki, can-am and the other quad makers to get quads on tv. the tv stations have to see that there's a market for quads, and for that to happen the fans have to speak up. pluss the economy is in the crapper right now

250x_kyle
07-24-2009, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by ridin'MX365
i agree with ya'll, but it'll take more than suzuki, can-am and the other quad makers to get quads on tv. the tv stations have to see that there's a market for quads, and for that to happen the fans have to speak up. pluss the economy is in the crapper right now

yeah but if the tv station started to fail because of taking a risk obama would push another stimulus package....

anyways only time will tell.

07-24-2009, 05:28 PM
dont be hatin on the tractor pulls!!

07-24-2009, 06:30 PM
i think sometimes ama is on espn

Tommy Warren
07-24-2009, 06:46 PM
I think we just need a good tv show, an hour long, half an hour on sport quads, half an hour on utility and/or sideby sides. not just tests or accessories but different race footage and maybe some good homemade footage kind of like the "readers rides" section in dirt wheels but in video form. people love that stuff. and put a bunch comercials from yamaha, can-am, kawi, suzuki, arctic crap , and whatever else in it and watch the bikes fly off the showrrom floors. its not rocket science, show people the bikes, show people what they can do, and show people how much fun they are. put it right in front of their faces on a good tv station like espn or speed, get people excited about the sport and watch it grow. we just need a way to get the atv industries foot in the door.

LTR450_#67
07-24-2009, 07:02 PM
I agree, maybe/hopefully the Pro invite will have some TV time........

Here's a good article about the evolution of ATVMX

-----> ATVMX the first 28 years..... (http://www.atvsport.com/output.cfm?id=2156365)

extremeblastr
07-24-2009, 07:34 PM
you guys don't seem to understand, as much as we think our sport is mainstream it definitely is not. the average american is only going to watch video of someone riding a quad if he crashes and gets hurt. its the way it is and until that changes you will not see any more quad races on tv.

motofreak2772
07-24-2009, 08:39 PM
I dont like the half utility idea, but maybe a show about ATV motocross and freestyle. Get it on Fuel or something and people will watch it. It has to be like that Jackass stuff or no one will care about it. Or if that doesnt happen get atvs featured on shows like nitro circus. If there was a quad guy on a show like that I think the sport would grow.

extremeblastr
07-24-2009, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by motofreak2772
I dont like the half utility idea, but maybe a show about ATV motocross and freestyle. Get it on Fuel or something and people will watch it. It has to be like that Jackass stuff or no one will care about it. Or if that doesnt happen get atvs featured on shows like nitro circus. If there was a quad guy on a show like that I think the sport would grow.

what your proposing is we toss someone out on the national stage to do some of the most dangerous things in our sport in an attempt to get positive attention? when he gets hurt and it causes more negative then positive you do realize that sets us back a long ways from where we've gotten to. nothing against you just bringing up what the every day person will see, trust me i would know i have neighbors who have no idea how to start a quad tell me about how dangerous it is and that i shouldn't buy "those death traps".

rbgnwa45
07-24-2009, 09:34 PM
I'd like to see on local channels helmet-cam only on quads, I'd watch it all the time. Also XC coverage, not really supercross.

Tommy Warren
07-25-2009, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by rbgnwa45
I'd like to see on local channels helmet-cam only on quads, I'd watch it all the time. Also XC coverage, not really supercross.

agreed supercross is kinda like nascar just the same laps over and over. but don't start attacking me I know its crazy to race in mx just as it is in nascar but I can't sit and watch either races. xc is a lot better to watch IMO but nothin intersts me as a viewer as much as freestyle.

m0t0xk1d
07-25-2009, 12:23 AM
like dirtwheels or quad or one of those magazines i saw versus will be covering the ama atvmotocross starting august 3rd

yellowzo3
07-25-2009, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by extremeblastr
you guys don't seem to understand, as much as we think our sport is mainstream it definitely is not. the average american is only going to watch video of someone riding a quad if he crashes and gets hurt. its the way it is and until that changes you will not see any more quad races on tv.

Yeah man I agree with you there 100%... Its popular and interesting to us because we know that it takes as much effort to race a quad as it does a bike (maybe more due to less support) and we all love the mechanical aspect of it as well. We may be into quads, but the people that call the cops on you for starting it in your driveway aren't. I don't want to sound negative here but the people on this site ARE the quad scene. Pappy, Harlen, and a few others on the site are out there busting @$$ to keep us informed on whats happening. Outside of this site I NEVER here anyone talking about quads or getting pumped up about anything atv related. Shoot, in NJ we can't even get ONE place to ride, let alone convince ESPN or someone to travel around the country and get some legit coverage going for us. It seemed to be going well the first time they covered races, but fell apart shortly after. Extremeblastr is right though, quads are the halftime show full of laughs and crashes; people look at them as like a dirtbike for beginners. Let's face it, pretty much anyone can hop on a quad and in less than an hour be cruising around.

Basically, there really aren't THAT many people into (and following) the racing scene in quads...at least around here. We may think there are but you guys probably know everyone that is legit into quads as much as you are in your area. There aren't many people that will see quads doing mx on tv and stop to actually watch the whole thing. Bikes have already been hyped up so much that their scene is beyond exploding and people automatically know the names Bubba, Reed, Carmichael, and Pastrana even if they aren't into the sport that much.

I guess having coverage on the versus channel is good but seriously, who watches the versus channel?!?! Man, I'm the only one in my house that even knows that channel exists :p ...We need some good hour long shows.

The bikes are on the level of baseball and quads are on the level of the ESPN spelling bee. Actually we're lower since we don't even get on tv anymore :chinese:

Dan_Guetter
07-25-2009, 06:05 PM
I wouldn't go as far as saying baseball, but i do agree that the spelling bee nationals get more coverage than ATV racing - i can remember that last time i seen the spelling bee on TV, i can't remember in the last few years of ever seeing a ATV race.

Dan_Guetter
07-25-2009, 06:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y0RJSHnTqw

You'll never see digger or joe ****head byrd doing this...

yellowzo3
07-25-2009, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Shift_DVS
I wouldn't go as far as saying baseball, but i do agree that the spelling bee nationals get more coverage than ATV racing - i can remember that last time i seen the spelling bee on TV, i can't remember in the last few years of ever seeing a ATV race.

Yeah not baseball but I couldn't think of anything else lol. espn commercials are the best too hahaha

Ralph
07-25-2009, 07:49 PM
The messed up thing is i always watch the spelling bee when its on.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bGdCeMayUjk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bGdCeMayUjk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

SRH
07-25-2009, 08:27 PM
lmfao , we had a teacher in highschool his name was rich negus and his mom was a math teacher, i was like damn...what a cool name rich negus, everyone use to say whats up my negus and he never quite understood why

yellowzo3
07-25-2009, 08:47 PM
LMFAO and Ralph, AN AVID ATV ENTHUSIAST, reinforces the fact that the spelling bee DOES after all deserve a time slot on ESPN. when it doubt, sound it out!

destey
07-27-2009, 04:53 AM
you may not want this sport on national TV. Its best to keep under the radar. National exposure is only going to bring about more safety legislation and more emissions laws. Hate to interject politics, but this is a red state sport. City democrats start seeing this all over the TV you're gonna see legislation faster than an assault weapons ban after a school shooting.

Its just like where I live, ATVs aren't allowed hardly anywhere. But it happens just because its not in everyones face all the time. Every once in a while a pack of ATVs go blasting down the road, but its few and far between. Put it on national TV and granny sitting in front of her TV will steam :grr: start to make phone calls. Remember, Washington has nothing better to do than place restrictions on what you're currently able to do.

Ralph
07-27-2009, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by destey
Its just like where I live, ATVs aren't allowed hardly anywhere. But it happens just because its not in everyones face all the time. Every once in a while a pack of ATVs go blasting down the road, but its few and far between. Put it on national TV and granny sitting in front of her TV will steam :grr: start to make phone calls. Remember, Washington has nothing better to do than place restrictions on what you're currently able to do.

Kids blasting down the road will do more damage than anything else. Go find a track or other legal places to ride and trailer there.

You don't have to be a democrat to get upset when a kid on an ATV is killed after being hit by a car. They are not meant for the road.

The concept of private land your not supposed to ride on is also accepted by both parties.

89rwfo
07-27-2009, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by SRH
lmfao , we had a teacher in highschool his name was rich negus and his mom was a math teacher, i was like damn...what a cool name rich negus, everyone use to say whats up my negus and he never quite understood why

Oh my I cant stop laughing out loud. This is some funny stuff

jesseweaver
07-27-2009, 02:47 PM
... when they start going as fast as the bikes :devil:

TrapZ400
07-27-2009, 03:19 PM
Give it time our sport is fairly new compared to the bikes and it has grown a lot in a really short period of time. I think the ATVA/AMA arent jumping into the big time tv coverage because they dont want to make the same mistake the wpsa made and I bet its hard to get outside the industry sponsors to help because they saw what happened to the wpsa. They dont want to throw a bunch of money into a series and have them lose there tv coverage in a year or two like what happened with the wpsa.

I think our time is coming soon though. I don't know if you guys have heard but there may be a big NASCAR style team coming to the ATV Nationals. Go to google and type in nascar meets atv racing.

xc_racer1
07-27-2009, 03:23 PM
they already show some races on tv. they show the gnccs and supercross races on versus. it would just be nice if it was on for more than a half hour

xDeeVy465x
08-04-2009, 07:37 PM
you guys dont get the outdoors channel? or VS. Channel? Dirt Trax TV is on outdoors channel. good show, lots of quad reviews, on Vs channel covers GNCC action. Call your cable provider and ask, or look up in the higher number channels. i just found out about them yesterday and was hooked.

300extreme#8
08-05-2009, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by TrapZ400
Give it time our sport is fairly new compared to the bikes and it has grown a lot in a really short period of time.

my friend atv racing has been around more than 20 years, it evolved from 3 wheeler racing that was prolly 10 years before that. The only reason that atvs arent on tv yet is b/c backing. The factories can only do so much, but you gotta have outside sponsers to help support also. When you watch supercross on tv then see all the commercials of all the sponsers. Theres alot that needs to be done so even if that planned on it then it would take around 2 years to process. Then you would need more teams, not factory teams but outside sponsered teams,ex. Gieco honda, JGR yamaha, monster/ procircuit kawi, sobe team, redbull team, exc. We do have some of them but that are based factory teams. Plus there is only 20 pro riders, and the only competitve riders are the top 5, dont get me wrong all are way fast and could smoke me, but when you show up to the races you already know which ones to keep an eye on. It would take years to get it processed and be able to hold strong on tv.

TrapZ400
08-05-2009, 12:47 PM
Yea I know its been around longer than 20 years, but still bikes have been racing longer.

I don't know if you quoted me because you disagreed with what I said or what?

300extreme#8
08-05-2009, 01:23 PM
naw, just sayin that they have been around and racing almost just as long. I believe 3 wheelers were televised at one point when they were big too.

IRISH-RACER-14
08-05-2009, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
I think we just need a good tv show, an hour long, half an hour on sport quads, half an hour on utility and/or sideby sides. not just tests or accessories but different race footage and maybe some good homemade footage kind of like the "readers rides" section in dirt wheels but in video form. people love that stuff. and put a bunch comercials from yamaha, can-am, kawi, suzuki, arctic crap , and whatever else in it and watch the bikes fly off the showrrom floors. its not rocket science, show people the bikes, show people what they can do, and show people how much fun they are. put it right in front of their faces on a good tv station like espn or speed, get people excited about the sport and watch it grow. we just need a way to get the atv industries foot in the door.

theres a show in australia that gave me the idea..

www.mxtv.com.au

its about bikes but if it had quad it wud b cool

motofreak2772
08-05-2009, 04:38 PM
Why cant we get sponsors like cocacola or mc donalds or w.e. else. Look at nascar, theres a tide car. If we get those random(rich) companies to sponsor events then we could get them to sponsor a show. At the nationals all the sponsors are like moose, unlimited, and monster... I dont mind seeing a few soap signs on the track if it means tv coverage lol.