PDA

View Full Version : 400ex Revloc autoclutch

duke416ex
07-24-2009, 10:38 AM
Well, after a couple of years of trying to get a Rekluse for a 400ex, I thought I would try a different approach. I knew other companies made auto clutches so I started looking around. I found that Revloc made a clutch for an xr400. I also had talked to Revloc in the past and learned that they were actually a predecessor to Rekluse.

I started researching and came to the conclusion that most clutch components were interchangeable between the xr and trx, some with a few modifications, but still interchangeable. After I had just about decided that I thought it would work, I gave Revloc a call and came in contact with Alan. He is more or less the technical support for Revloc from what I gather and was very helpful throughout the process. I explained to him what I was wanting to do and about the few differences and after talking on the phone a few times and taking a few measurements we came to the conclusion that it was best I ship the clutch to him in order to make sure the parts would work.

So since I was in the middle of a rebuild anyway I just pulled the clutch off and sent it away. The stock clutch was about to need some parts, as the inner hub and basket were showing wear so it was a good time to replace stuff anyway. Alan received the clutch and made some measurements and called me with a few questions. After a phone call or two he decided that everything would work and he needed to have some parts made that he was currently out of stock on. He had those made and in a few weeks I received a new Revloc auto clutch for a 400ex.

With a Revloc you not only get a pressure plate, but the entire assembly with your gear installed. Since the other parts were worn, this turned into a great deal. I was putting new fibers anyway so I already had them. The only other thing I needed to change was switching to xr400 steels. These are the same steels most use in 8 plate kits and are the same part number as 300ex steels.

I got the clutch in one evening and still had the motor apart. I put the top end back together one evening and installed the clutch the next. The clutch was very simple to install and took about the same amount of time as changing out a stock basket. I would have had to take it off anyway since I was replacing the timing chain.

The new system worked perfect right off the bat. I unhooked the clutch cable just so I could give it a test, and plus with the new auto clutch it was not necessary anymore. The clutch worked great, smooth on bottom end and no slip on top end. I have installed and rode many Rekluse clutches before and this is noticeably smoother upon initial engagement. After riding a little while I hooked the clutch cable back up, and adjusted to the correct slack, which is crucial on all auto clutches and went back out for another ride. Clutch rode smooth, I was able to pull the front end up easily by popping the clutch and could use the lever to pull in to rev the motor also. End result was great. If anyone is looking for an auto clutch for a 400ex give Revloc a call and talk to Alan. The website hasn’t been updated in a while, but they have new prices. I believe the entire clutch system is now 585. That is for a billet basket and all, good deal when you have to replace everything anyway.

http://www.revloc.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

Took a few pics of steps along the way.

We should be at the KY series this weekend if anyone wants to kinda get a little feel on the clutch and also at most of the Mid South races this fall. If anyone is close to Morgantown, I would also be willing to install one for you. Let me know if anyone has any questions about it.

duke416ex
07-24-2009, 10:39 AM
pic

duke416ex
07-24-2009, 10:42 AM
1 more installed

born2ride14
07-24-2009, 11:05 AM
let us know how it works, it looks like some high quality stuff there!

honda400ex2003
07-24-2009, 11:07 AM
Great mod and it looks very nice. glad to hear everything worked out good and i think that there will be quite a few that will want it. it can be like a 250ex with more power for the ladies and such who are just learning but want to have something faster and be able to do more with it. thanks for the info on it, steve

duke416ex
07-24-2009, 12:15 PM
First race on it will be this weekend. He has a couple hours ride time on it so far in the yard and small trails and loves it so far. All pieces were definately top quality.

I think it will have a big use for the ladies and beginners, but it really is amazing to know how many racers are running these now. I have seen people really improve lap times just by installing an autoclutch. I was unsure if I would like a Rekluse in my 450, but have been running one for about 3 years now and love it.

rideahonda
07-26-2009, 12:37 PM
thats AWESOME!!!
that would be great for tight woods riding, which I do a lot of.
something I'll definatly be looking in to

duke416ex
07-27-2009, 08:02 AM
Just be sure to call them as the prices have not been changed on the website and are actually a lot cheaper than they are listed.

katch26
07-27-2009, 09:28 AM
som how did it hold up?

duke416ex
07-27-2009, 10:58 AM
No problems at all with the clutch. He said that he thought it really helped him in many places throughout the track. He was 3rd in the holeshot out of about 14 quads and was very impressed with that and how easily it will now start in gear.