PDA

View Full Version : We need your help in NJ

Depalma
01-08-2003, 06:44 AM
We have one legal area to ride in NJ. They just passed a law if you get caught riding you will get a $1,000 fine and impounded. The state of NJ DEP said by 2005 they would try to open about 4 more legal ares to ride. But the environmental groups started a letter writing against this policy. The NJ DEP told us we need more letters in favor of there new program. Here are the contacts bradley.cambell@dep.state.nj.us and also mmchugh@dep.state.nj.us Please keep it clean, a statement that you support new riding areas in NJ. Thank You (your state could be next) they don't know that you would be from out of state e-mails have no address

2002 400 ex
ac nerfs
w/b bumper
e-series pipe
k&n filter:grr

tom400ex
01-09-2003, 08:02 AM
I'm sending my letter now!

Pappy
01-09-2003, 08:07 AM
i sent one email to each addy:)

01-09-2003, 08:17 AM
Depalma, Did that bill become law?

I know we got us some big problems around here (I am very close to you) and there is currently only one potential group to help us www.jorva.com (Jersey Off Road Vehicle Assoc.) Please everyone after you write your love letters to commisioner Cambell (and please be polite as you rep all of us when you write these guys) just visit this site and sign up a member. membership is free and your needed badly as there is strength in numbers and if just half the riders in NJ were members the senators would be working with us instead of whats happening now.

There are some people at JORVA working very very hard to keep our riding places avail to us and have the state work to open up certain forests and private riding areas etc.

Please dont be lazy and spend a few minutes to help the sport you enjoy.

xtreme mom
01-16-2003, 05:27 PM
The fines come from the DEP, ...the "law" is being debated. Some guys in sparta are possibly going to bring it to court. They were lic and insured, got stopped on private property, got they bikes inpounded and ticketed. ....No warning, ...it going to be a fight. If you drove your car on private property (lic and ins) the penalities no where match this...

01-16-2003, 11:18 PM
No warning, ...it going to be a fight. If you drove your car on private property (lic and ins) the penalities no where match this... I have to agree on that cause most likely you would receive a simple tresspass at most if on foot or in a registered motor vehicle, oh wait there were :)

Anyone else thinking Legal fund or ACLU?

Pappy
01-16-2003, 11:23 PM
Anyone else thinking Legal fund or ACLU?

thats probly what it will take....i think these folks figure we are just a bunch of hicks and they can do whatever they want without regard to any civil right we may have or be protected by:mad:

Depalma
01-18-2003, 12:15 PM
maybe it is time to make a deal with the devil. I pay taxes for land they can hike on . i just want and area to ride with my kids and I don't even mind paying $200 fee like i do now and $50 for each kid. ACLU we should reach out

01-18-2003, 11:05 PM
Sounds more like a private park than a deal with the "devil".

I am not sure that accecpting something like that is what we are seriously after and with the problems and BS that the state gives private landowners wishing to turn their property into an MX park etc is absolutely criminal.

I have seen some seriously dangerous actions by the State DEPE officers (aka rangers) in their efforts to apprehend riders and now I continue to hear of local municipalities purchasing bikes and quads to enhance their pursuit. What are they after? Are they defending our country from terrorists or trying to keep families and young children from enjoying the outdoors and a sport they enjoy. I believe maybe they are confused and are letting the chase cloud their vision.

Is it going to take a young child or officer getting seriously injured or killed before our local and state govt realize what they are gearing up for? Cant these people realize that they are not dealing with criminals but rather just good people enjoying their sport etc that are being railroaded by a few special interest groups?

Personally I believe that its time for our state legislators to take a serious look into our problem and open up much of our state public lands for our citizens use before things get ugly. Think of all the extra revenue that could be raised to maintain the areas we would ride in and how much better things could be in our sensitve areas if riders werent forced into more unaccessable areas just to avoid fines and harrassment etc.

Its time for the state to make a stand for its residents and correct this problem now as only they have the power to do.

Sorry for the rant but this $#!^ realy pissess me off.

xtreme mom
01-19-2003, 07:54 AM
In todays local newspaper, the state (NJ) DEP, is trying to swap away the ideal property for OHV use in NJ. The property in question is 769 acres,has a 30 acres paved parking lot,has over 15 miles of paved "trails", had a sewer treatment plant, is in a industrial zone, next to an airport and quarry, mininual wetlands, no endangered species, mile of fencing in place. wooded except for the parking lot, had over 6 large buildings, 12 wells dug, electrical wiring and poles. 4 lane paved access road in and out etc....
The end result of this deal would be state land turned into town owned ball fields (the town already has over 25 ball fields).

Could EVERYONE please send and email to the above address and express your concern!

bsb64
01-19-2003, 03:48 PM
I knew the ATV community would get screwed on this. I told you guys if you don't send in a big bag of money the polititians wouldn't even pay attention to you. The way this state is run on bribes and influence is a travesty. Obviously the fat cats don't give a crap about ATVs, they scare their horses. We are screwed. And if they ever do give us more legal areas, they will ruin it by over regulating it, bet on it.

440ex4me, you are correct, but legislation is rarely considered in terms of logic, those in power will call the shots for their own personal gain. I too am sorry for the rant, but I never realized how sh1tty this state was until I traveled a little.

The only realistic answer is to buy land out of state.....

300exazzkikr
01-19-2003, 05:21 PM
Make that two more.

Depalma
01-20-2003, 05:59 AM
You know what is getting funny. Cops can't chase car thefts no more but yet they are buying atvs to chase kids in the woods. NJ has the highest insurance rate from car thefts. But lets get those kids in the woods. The sad part is 90% of the cops thinks it is stupid to. They all want legal land to ride on to.

xtreme mom
01-20-2003, 05:36 PM
The state would much rather chase kids thru the woods and give them tickets, fines and impound bikes than provide legal safe riding areas that would not requre the police to patrol. with towns and state's budgets I would think by giving areas to ride, it would free up the police to work go after real criminals.....

Ryan
01-20-2003, 05:49 PM
I'll send mine tonight. What should I really tell them? "Im concerned about the trail closer?" Thats what I did last time :confused:

xtreme mom
01-20-2003, 06:35 PM
Also that the property known as Jungle Habitat would be an ideal location

01-20-2003, 07:53 PM
For those thinking of what to say in their letters etc consider some of the following:

Off road use is by more then just dirt bikes and includes ATV's, Jeeps, 4x4 trucks, bicycles, rv's and even some wheel chairs etc.

Most people think of off roaders as a negative thing and must be reminded that this is not true and that more families find ther "quality time" together off road than ever b4. So this sport is enjoyed by many diff families, children and adults also.

Our public lands are for the public use and should not be controlled by some special interest groups. We are residents (voting residents also) and have both a interest and right to use our state land.

The ability of a parent to actually participate in a sport with their child is allmost an exclusive to our sport. You cant get your mom or dad onto the soccer field to play in your game can you? This is a big plus cause it allows a parent true quality time with their child and also brings many age groups together to learn from each other etc.

For those of you old enough to vote think of reminding them of this and those who are not remember you have two votes, one from mom and one from dad and do mention it.

A big issue is the potential for a serious injury to a rider (young or old but especially young) or even death running from a "gang" of officers on bikes. This will most likely happen more with the growing fines and impound fees etc. I am sure more then one younger rider would chance to flee rather than face their parent with a $1000.00 ticket and $400.00 impound, so guess who has a good chance of getting hurt bad or worse?

Just try to get your point across and use your head, and please dont make any threats or use foul language etc, yes you are representing everyone when you write to these people. Dont be afraid to let them know your not happy or worse and please let them know this will influence your thoughts in the voting booth etc.

Ryan
01-20-2003, 08:28 PM
440ex4me, That was excellent. Can I copy that and use that? Im not so much of a wrighter but I really would like to help..... If not i'll come up with something.

quadfamily
01-20-2003, 09:57 PM
This is soooo sad! I'm writing a letter.

01-20-2003, 11:21 PM
Can I copy that and use that?

I think it would be better if you put those basic thoughts into your own words. That way it will be nothing like a form letter and maybe these guys will listen better.

xtreme mom
01-21-2003, 05:29 AM
GREAT LETTER!

I would encourage everyone to write their own version, and both email and snail mail it.

Another issue is physical fitness and obesity. Giving kids an area to do what they like outside will get them off the video games and enjoy the great outdoors, fresh air, exercise, appreciate nature and its beauty

01-21-2003, 07:24 AM
Good idea there mom :)

Anyone who has ideas I guess this would be a good thread to share them.

There are so many more good things that come from our sport that the one or two things that can be twisted to look like a problem are completely overshadowed by all the benefits.

kwatts400
01-21-2003, 02:27 PM
I just sent an email. In Delaware, there has been a proposed riding area on the table for quite some time, but nothing has come of it because of all the red tape that is surrounding the area. It would be nice to have some places to ride that were close to home. Our only park is in Seaford,De, and it is actually closer to go N.J. or PA.

01-21-2003, 10:09 PM
Due to the previous president and constant attacks by the Sierra club etc this is a problem in many states.

This is why we all need to back each other up no matter what state your in. I have signed petitions etc all over the place to support our fellow riders.

xtreme mom
01-23-2003, 07:24 AM
keep those letters, emails, phone calls, faxes etc coming. We need to make a statement, show we care.

YamaWarr0121
01-23-2003, 01:49 PM
i wrote 2 letters to both people, one for me and one for my dad, we definately need someplace better to ride than in pennsylvania :mad:

01-27-2003, 10:02 PM
Sing along:

This lands not your land, this lands not my land, we all know who it belongs to, and they dont like us, but they have deep pockets, and donate $$$ to the domacrats, this land was made for special interest.

:grr :grr :grr

xtreme mom
02-10-2003, 05:25 PM
The commission of the DEP has made a promise (and it is in writing) that there will be 2 new OHV riding areas by 2005. We need to make sure he keeps the promise!!! Write those letters!