PDA

View Full Version : i am new and need some help

kookennay
07-24-2009, 12:24 AM
i got an 86 r it has 87 crank wit 86 model piston and 69mm bore pro circuit pipe uni filter paul turner power head boyesen carbon reeds i really need help wit jetting i just need to know what a good starting point is any help would be awesome. and how should i be mixing my gas? i use yamalube 2r 8oz. to 2 gallons of 93 octane

redryder310
07-24-2009, 11:31 AM
Fuel mix sounds good. 4 oz per gal is 32:1. I have run that for years. Iirc, when I had a setup like that, I was running a 170 at sea level, 165 at about 600 ft.

All250R
07-24-2009, 12:17 PM
Start with maintenance. The "free" stuff is lubrication of joints and fluids changes. Basic parts are bearings, seals (and gaskets). It's amazing how much better the ride can be when the shocks are fresh. Change stiff cables and mount fresh tires if needed. Check compression for top end health. The clutch lifter system on 86-8 suffers damage quickly. An 89 update kit for $60 brings the clutch back to a new feeling and lasts longer. If it's hard to start, check reed petal health (**don't assemble without being confident you didn't create an air leak).

Get a Honda service manual to locate the lubrication points and the proper type of lubricants. Doing all this stuff isn't really sexy work. But you'll be amazed how improved the quad feels if these items have been neglected for a awhile (and often are). Plus these items greatly increase reliability and reduce long term cost by preventing failure.

kookennay
07-27-2009, 11:30 PM
ok thats what i thought on the gas part

kookennay
07-27-2009, 11:36 PM
ok now i got another question i have got another cylinder that i took off cause it broke the wrist pin clp and locked it up. well it seems to have been machined and had a bigger sleeve put in right now it measures 71.7 mm. on the side of it where it says 249 cm has been ground smooth and is stamped DSE. i would like to bore it and put another piston in it is that possible?

86 Quad R
07-28-2009, 12:01 AM
that sounds like it maybe a big bore resleeve. it would make a strong lil engine. the pin didnt make its way against the sleeve did it? otherwise it should clear out to the next avail. size. any idea what porting it has?

kookennay
07-28-2009, 12:13 AM
well i rode it a few times before it locked up it had alot of compression and had alot of power. it had the wrong clip in the wrist pin it was a snap ring clip wit the eyelets on the end that you would use the snap ring pliers on, not the clips like that come wit wiseco pistons. well one of the eyelets broke off and cought a ring it put a groove in it but not bad. it looks to not have been ported at all cause the steel of the sleeve has alot hanging past the aluminium. any idea where i could find a piston for it.

IcutMetl
07-28-2009, 10:21 AM
I think you should have that bigger bore cut & honed to the next size, and have a midrange port job done on it. I was amazed at how much broader, yet harder my power comes on now that I had my cylinder ported. If you're not afraid of adding a little race fuel to your premium pump gas, another trick is to carefully take apart your 3pc. head gasket and just use one of the thin portions to gain higher compression. I know it really woke my motor up once I got the jetting sorted out!

kookennay
07-28-2009, 11:51 AM
yeah i have no problem going a size bigger i just need to know where i can find a piston to go in it. i have e few head gaskets that are made like the cr250 head gaskets that are the thin paper like ones. and would i be good just porting by cutting the steel of the sleeve up to the aluminium of the cylinder? you guys are really a big help and i really appreciate it.

IcutMetl
07-28-2009, 01:37 PM
Look on ebay for piston and gasket kits. I was able to get my Wiseco 67.5mm, plus wrist pin & needle bearing with top end gasket kit for $153. I used the 3 piece metal gasket and got Permatex copper gasket aerosol spray from my auto parts store to spray on both sides before installation. I've never ran paper for a head gasket, but I've heard of people using the CR gaskets to gain a small amount of compression. I think above 180psi and you may want to think about adding some race fuel. Compression specs out of the Honda service manual are 170+/- 15psi on premium pump gas.

I've heard of guys doing a "clean up" port like what you're talking about, but I found a guy on here that did a great job on my boring, honing, plus midrange porting, and the price was very reasonable. His name is Robert Byrnes of RB Racing in Michigan- I don't have his number available, but his screen name on here is "machwon."

kookennay
07-28-2009, 11:38 PM
i checked ebay and found nothing. esr has them but i not know if their cylinders are different and the piston be different or not .

kookennay
07-29-2009, 12:08 AM
i take that back i just found some for 149.99 buy it now. wit wrist pin,rings, and circlips. thats a good price i think.