PDA

View Full Version : bad day at practice...

thequadfather+2
07-23-2009, 10:23 PM
went out and made about 10 laps in the first session, rested a few minutes and went out in the next session and two laps later Jordan pulls over and says "something is wrong with my 4-wheeler.".....yep, sure is we are done for the night.:eek2:

thequadfather+2
07-23-2009, 10:24 PM
another shot

drxracing
07-24-2009, 12:46 AM
Ah yes the stress points that happened to one of are drr`s you need to get a gusset kit there is vendors on this forum that make some nice ones

QuadJunkies
07-24-2009, 01:02 AM
Been there done that !

JAG Motosports
07-24-2009, 08:04 AM
We've been there and done that too. Now we carry a welder in the trailer.:devil:

bulldogfallon
07-24-2009, 08:42 AM
Marc should have them in stock....I know he is heading out today to go racing this weekend...he maybe in the shop early this a.m.

If not then I have them as well if you need them overnighted for this weekend

If not Marc should be back in the office Monday if you don't catch him today

ToddL
07-24-2009, 08:46 AM
yup - same exact spot for us this year too !
snapped both sides clean just like you guys.
we put a pipe inside at that point and slid it
into both parts, then welded together each side.
Much stronger now than before. No issues since.
We will gussett the whole frame over the winter.
Good luck !

thequadfather+2
07-24-2009, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the help guys, I knew we would have to gusset the frame at some point but I didnt think we were there yet. I will be starting on the repairs today. We are not national racers yet but had a local race this weekend, dont know if I'll make that or not. I may just break it down and do the whole thing while it's apart. BTW it's an '09 and hasnt taken much punishment, I was kinda suprised it happened now.

dblacks
07-24-2009, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by thequadfather+2
Thanks for the help guys, I knew we would have to gusset the frame at some point but I didnt think we were there yet. I will be starting on the repairs today. We are not national racers yet but had a local race this weekend, dont know if I'll make that or not. I may just break it down and do the whole thing while it's apart. BTW it's an '09 and hasnt taken much punishment, I was kinda suprised it happened now.

It doesnt take much, the frames are not welded properly to be beat on the way we have our kids beat on these things.

Finish all welds, run a standard gussett kit and then add a few more.

edwardsp&b
07-26-2009, 10:39 AM
been there, done that, got the t shirt. it always looks worse than what it is. gusset it and get some shocks, then he can fly all he wants too! good luck
bryan

thequadfather+2
07-26-2009, 11:27 AM
Again thanks for the help. It twisted the top just a little. I will be getting the gusset kit tomorrow.....

thequadfather+2
07-26-2009, 11:28 AM
another view

thequadfather+2
07-26-2009, 11:30 AM
1 more shot

dblacks
07-26-2009, 04:10 PM
now also add a brace from the top bar the shock mounts onto to the bar the Rear motor mounts are on, keep it as close to the shock as possible so that there is plenty of room for the pipe.

dblacks
07-26-2009, 04:12 PM
also pay close attention to the lower part of the frame where the swingarm mounts are.

CRBOGGAN
07-26-2009, 05:21 PM
dblacks can you post pics of what you can do more than the regular gusset kit. My son races with this quad so I have his down to gusset it to. The more pics the better. What do you use down at the swing arm?

Logan #34's Dad
07-26-2009, 08:49 PM
You should think about putting a steel bar inside the frame before you weld it back together. When you weld it, it will be locked into place if the pipe is a tight fit.
You should add metal to the rounded area on the other side of where the big swingarm bolt is.
I was resently at Snyder Motorsports and Shawn and Craig Guyer have a system of gussets and nerfbar pole attachments that are the best I've seen.

ToddL
07-27-2009, 06:44 AM
Yup the pipe thing is the way to go. I think it was1" or 7/8" pipe
or so - can't remember. You need to drill a couple small
holes in each end of the pipe for notches, then you can
tap it in most of the way into one side, then line it up
and use your notches and a punch to tap it back into the other
side. So, you end up with half the pipe in each side.
I think we ended up with about 3" of pipe on each side
when all was said and done. After welding it together,
we welded bolts on each side as makeshift gussetts.
Works well, just not pretty, bus who sees it anyway ??? lol.
We are stripping ours down over winter to do a whole
job on the quad, but it is solid for now to finish the year.
Now if he quits breaking frames and axles for a couple months
then we will be all set.
Good luck - it's not too bad a job really if you have help
to hold it tight when lining everything up.

edwardsp&b
07-27-2009, 08:36 AM
hey man check out my post (frame repair) mine was broke and twisted just like that, and it has step by step pics. i would also go back and grind off those crappy taiwanese welds, and put some good welds down. im currently looking for a way to beef up the swingarm mounts they are easy to break too!
good luck
bryan

quadscrib
07-27-2009, 11:07 AM
Theres a few around today that should b looked at after this weekend at Portland Trail Riders.... they were gettin some air!!!
I cant beleive (so far) what my kid hasnt broke...I bet Im in for a world of hurt soon lol...